• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Disc Slots Do You Have?

krik72

Par Member
So not asking what discs you use but what general slots you look to fill with discs. So for example this is my setup:

Drivers: (5 slots total)
150 Class Wide Rimmed (WR) Max Distance Driver
Max Distance WR Driver
WR Headwind Driver
Understable Non-WR Distance Driver
Stable Control Driver (Most thrown disc off the tee)

Mids/Approach: (3 slots)
-Stable/headwind Mid
-Finesse Mid
-All Around Putter

Total slots: 8

Im really curious to see where people add a lot of specialty discs so maybe include a description or some shots you use any non-standard discs you have in your bag. For example Im really curious about what people who throws Leos are using it for, like why you have a disc between a finesse mid range and understable driver or if you throw two putters what is each used for?

All disc types (drivers, mids, putters) have 3 slots, Overstable, Stable, and Understable. Drivers add a distance driver slot, and putters add a putting slot. Comes out to 11 slots.

Edit: Note that those are teh "slots" in the bag, and that many of those slots are filled with a single driver (ex: my abused Champ Aviar fills the stable and understable slot, while a new version of it takes the stable slot, and I pretty much only throw 1 midrange so it fits all those too).

Very Overstable
Max D

Overstable Control, Mid and Putter
Stable Control, Mid and Putter
Understable Control, Mid and Putter
Putting only

12 slots and 13 discs, carry two Max D drivers.

Max D
Control D
Overstable
Midrange
Understable Mid (Specialy slot for low ceiling distance, long turnovers, and high(er) altitude golf)
All purpose Putter

See my sig for molds

I generally carry two of each disc, something newish and something seasoned, and that provides enough variety to keep me from needing more specialty discs. Didn't set out to be a mold minimalist, in fact I thought it was dumb, but this set up has pushed me to make shots without increasing the difficulty so much that my scores suffer.

Control D/Max D - Same thing for me
Fairway Driver
Mid-same mold in various states of wear to cover most bases
Mid- Understable
Putter -for long approaches and driving
Putter - for putting

For example Im really curious about what people who throws Leos are using it for, like why you have a disc between a finesse mid range and understable driver
see my setup below. i use them as a speed/spin -responsive touch disc for all kinds of mid/fairway shots. easy to tweak, easy to range.

i'm like the guy above, any bag i put together would have 3 to 5 speed classes, with anywhere from 1 neutral disc to 3 steps from over to understable, and some grades in between on key speeds.

base bag would probably be QJ, QMS, Magic. speed-responsive neutral glidey stuff.

extended bag is more like:

PUTTER:
over: 1 to 3 mix of rhyno, wiz, ion
neutral: omega ss
under: magic

MID:
over: q-sent
neutral: qms or beat roc
under: LEOPARDS (dx and proline)

FAIRWAY:
over: banshee or fb
neutral: qj and LEOPARDS (star and proline)
under: LEOPARDS (dx and proline and star)

LONG:
over: stable qolf
neutral: beat solf and heavy sw
under: light sw and roadrunner

I'd say the Leos are key in my bag and really solidify my finesse mids and fairway. For the power I have, I find them really easy to range and I can make a lot of shots with them. I carry 3, all 175g - Star, seasoned ProLine, and beat DX. They get shorter the flippier they are, so the DX is like a trick mid/fairway that's all wrist.. ProLine is longer and more power-driven, Star is a full driver. Then there's all their wind interactions that change things up. I have 1 QJ that I don't feel really overlaps the stable Leo, as far as lines I'm comfortable with. Pretty clear-cut which disc for the shot between those two.

My slots:

Meathook Driver- Something that I can feel confident that unless I really shank it and have too much OAT, it's not going out of bounds when I have OB on the right. (XXX)

Slightly Overstable Driver- Something that will go mostly straight, but have a good fade, possibly with some skip when it hits the ground. (C-PD)

Stable/Control Driver- My most used slot. Mostly relatively straight throws, but also can hold some curve lines. Can be powered down for more stable fairway duties. (S-PD or P-PD)

Understable/Control Fairway Driver- Sweeping turns with more power, powered down shots that are shorter versions of the Stable/Control Driver slot. (River)
(TD kind of falls between the last two categories for me, perhaps why it might be about to leave my bag.)

Stable/Control Midrange- For straight longer approaches or powered down control shorter approaches. (Roc or Buzz)

Understable Midrange- For turning approaches. (Fuse)

General Putter- Something that can work for whatever putting style or approach style I want to use. (Ion)

Every so often I might add a Max D Driver if a course I'm playing on has some wide open holes, but I generally don't throw such a disc anymore in an actual round.

Get ready... I'm about to fling some technical terms at you.

Drivers(4):
One the flies really straight and glide-y... even if you throw it low under a ceiling. It's also a plus if it can lazily fade left or right with a good throw.
One that goes straight and then hooks left late.
One that I can aim really well if I get squirrely and think I can ace a hole.
One that I feel good sidearming in case I'm forced to off the tee.

Mids(4):
One that goes left/right/straight. (although I'm told there's a 4 way disc I should pick up and play with that I'll be looking into soon)
One that flies super straight then sits down and stays there.
One for when it's super windy.
One I can super hook around trees and stuff.

Putters(2):
One for straight putts that are really far away.
One for closer putts that I want to make sure I have max chain love on.

I'll normally put one or two more in there to play around with. I don't take myself too serious and it's definitely not below me to throw a random disc on a hole for no apparent reason. I kind of like to think of myself as a disc evil mad scientist :roll:

Overstable distance
Max D/control D
fairway overstable
fairway

stable mid
straight mid
understable mid

stable putter
straight putter
understable putter.

really over stable distance driver for sidearm
stable distance driver for big hyzers
straight distance driver

firebird for sidearm and overhand

super stable Fairway
stable fairway
understable fairway mostly for rollers

super stable mid
stable mid
straight mid
understable mid

stable putter
understable putter

putter
jump putter

15 slots and i carry around 20 discs some are backups and to get beat in

max d
over stable driver
stable driver
understable driver
over stable fairway
stable fairway
understable fairway
over sable mid
stable mid
understable mid
over stable putter
understable putter
main putter

13 spots
13 discs

I'm not a mold minimalist but am a slot minimalist. They are the disc that goes in and the other is the disc that doesn't but lets the other slot do it's thang after however many throws :)

1. Utility -- Headwinds / Spikes / Thumbers / Flick Rollers / Skip shots
2. Mod. Overstable -- Windy D / Control D
3. Max D -- understable, either superfast or beat version of 2

4. Fairway -- slow, with good turn and good fade (hyzer-flip to flat, controlled turnovers, glidey hyzers, S-curves)

5. Beefy mid -- usually new version of 6&7
6. Straight mid -- usually seasoned version of 5
7. Flippy mid -- usually beat version of 5 & 7

8. Putter -- stable, all putts / upshots / short drives

8 disc slots.
New Bag: 1. XXX 2-3. PDs 4. River 5-7. Rocs 8. Ridge
Old Bag: 1. FB 2. SOLF/MOLF 3. Katana 4. Cyclone 5-7. Rocs 8. Wizard

Very overstable driver
Very fast driver
stable driver
understable driver
fairway driver

understable mid
stable mid

understable putter
stable putter

3 Distance Drivers (Overstable, Straight, Understable)
3 Fairway Drivers (Overstable, Straight, Understable)
3 Midranges (Overstable, Straight, Understable)
2 Putters (All putting duties)
4 Utility (Rollers, Driving Putter(s), Sidearm, etc.)

Drivers:
Silly Overstable wind/utility : Max
Overstable specialty/line throwing : Empty, was my PD.
Slightly Overstable / Main Driver : Wraith
Straight Driver/Main Driver : ESP Nuke, was my SL.

Beater/Found disc/Over water:
DX Gazelle

Fairway Drivers/ Mids:
Overstable/Specialty/Wind : D Drone
Slightly stable : DX Roc 177
Line Holding : KC Pro Roc 166

Putters:
Stable/Wind/Distance : DX Bulldog
Short range/Anhyzer : Soft D Magnet.

I don't use any understable discs due to the fact I can throw RHFH or RHBH. I set my bag up going from super stable/overstable to stable/straight.

Utility:
Meathook driver (headwind, OH, FH rollers, spike hyzers)
Uber Flippy driver (rollers, hyzerflips, finesse FH)
FH driver

Max Distance: 150 class FW driver

Fairway Drivers:
Overstable
Stable
Understable

Mids:
Slightly Overstable
Stable
Finesse (slow and floaty)

Putters
Driving
Putting

= 13 lucky slots.

Sidearm: one extremely overstable, one very overstable, one fairly overstable. (These double as my BH headwind drivers)
Main Drivers: one a little overstable, three neutral drivers (same mold at different weights), one understable (same mold as "a little overstable")
Fairway Drivers: one a little overstable, one neutral.
Mids: one extremely overstable, one fairly overstable (same mold as extreme), one neutral and one a bit understable. (same mold as neutral)
Putters: one approach putter (175), one putter putter (170). (Both are the same mold)

I have a couple discs in each slot, in different stages of wear. Some "slots" are the same mold as another slot like my putters and second two mids.

Drivers
Very Overstable
Moderately Overstable
Max D
Control

Mids
Very Overstable
Stable
Broken in Stable (understable)

Putter
Very Stable Heavy
Very Stable Light
Broken in Heavy

i probably have more than most.

2 thumber discs - 1 finishes pretty straight or sometimes left if i want it to, and its also for distance. 1 finishes right and its for shorter thumbers and getting out of trouble.
1 overstable work horse driver - star max (used for forehands also)
1 overstable distance driver - new champ boss
1 overstable "control" driver - star tee-rex
1 neutral distance driver - beat in eco star boss
1 neutral "control" driver - beat start tee-rex (also use a star teebird for a slightly different flight, shorter and less fade - tunnel shots)
1 flippy distance driver - beat star wraith (also for rolling)
1 way flippy distance driver - beat star wraith (kind of a trick shot disc - used for throwing over trees with giant annhyzers and quick turning rollers)
1 stable fairway driver - this spot is also taken up by that star teebird
1 understable fairway driver - beat sabre
1 overstable mid - z drone
1 straight mid - i actually use 2 discs for this slot, both z buzzz's. one is slightly overstable, one is slightly understable.
1 flippy mid - D buzzz
1 overstable upshot putter - wizard
1 straight/anny upshot putter - wizard
1 actual putter - same as anny upshot putter

17 slots, 17 discs. some slots are filled by more than one disc, others are filled by the same disc as another slot, but it still works out to 17.

yes, thats a lot, but i'm good. :eek:

Latest posts