• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do I need to work on?

Vilax

Hi everyone!
I've played disc golf for a few months now and I am focusing on learning the correct technique. The last few weeks I've spent hours a week on a field throwing mids and putters standstill and watching technique/form videos. But it feels like I've hit a brick wall, I'm no longer improving, rather I'm going backwards. My main goal is to have a consistent and replicable stroke but right now I either early release on hyzer or late release on anhyzer. It feels like I've watched every form video out there under the sun and tried every trick but to no avail. I've tried filming myself but that hasn't given me any better clue of what I'm doing wrong. I've posted two slo-mo videos from earlier today down below, could any of you tell me what I'm doing wrong in my throw and maybe you also have some good drills/exercises to work on. I'm ready to put in the time! Thanks a lot!

Side view: https://youtu.be/fvOivpeQupA
Rear view: https://youtu.be/pUsA1-6i_QA

Welcome. I think there is a general acclimation to form videos and the language people use to describe the throw. With that comes an ability to see into form and notice more details. So in that regard, time is your friend.

One thing I notice is what people commonly call "reach back". I think your only going about half way in this regard. You can look for some doorframe drill videos. Several people are working on that currently, but you would basically feel how the reach back feels by allowing your body weight to sag toward the target while holding a door frame with your throw hand to support the weight.

If you freeze your video at max reach back you'll see your shoulders at around 45° to the target line and hips not involved much. You are also keeping your arm bent in the reach back. Let that elbow open up and let your shoulders turn a full 90°. Your hips will be turned at about 45°. As you bring the disc through keep your chest chest parallel to the target line and let the throwing arm and disc turn you around, so your arm opening out to the target.

If that feels good, try offsetting your feet so you back foot, the drive foot is behind, to control your release point.

Keep working in the field and go back to the videos. You will find that you've seen them before but they have something to give you when you are ready. Practice throwing easy and smooth with discs landing in a tight group.

Okay, I will! Thank you so much!

One additional thought is that you are using power from the ground to power your shot, not your arm. Power is in the solidity of the ground, so your feet, legs, hips and back create the force. The arm is limp, but the weight of the arm and disc are what your body are slinging.

Look for "dingle arm" and "hammer" videos, which help you to feel the looseness and weight. Practicing with a hammer helps because it emphasizes the feel of the natural weight.

Also your shoulders are behind/right of your knees, so you aren't tilting your chest forward enough to swing shoulders over knees.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 6.52.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 6.52.21 PM.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts