• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what do you care more about: getting better and playing well or having fun?

THIS!!!

The thread title presents a false choice.

Throwing well is fun but, for myself, the effort to throw well is the real fun.

Just like winning is fun, but the effort to win is the real fun of competition.

I second the senior member from SC. I want to do both.

i was thinking more about this and for the most part no one was pushed into by their parents as some are in other sports and realistically there isn't a whole lot to be made off of disc golf so what would be the point in staying in it if your not having fun?

I'm still so new I'm getting better every round, but I still don't play well and some rounds are more fun than others. I'm keep playing. So how should I answer??

For the past 5 months I've been pretty miserable to play with. I've watched my distance and accuracy both go down and my scores go up between 5-10 strokes per round. I put alot of pressure on myself to throw well because, frankly, disc golf is all I have. It's the only thing I've been really in to in as long as I can remember. If I don't have this to enjoy, which means getting better at it, what do I have.

For the past 5 months I've been pretty miserable to play with. I've watched my distance and accuracy both go down and my scores go up between 5-10 strokes per round. I put alot of pressure on myself to throw well because, frankly, disc golf is all I have. It's the only thing I've been really in to in as long as I can remember. If I don't have this to enjoy, which means getting better at it, what do I have.

this is deep, i feel u sharky

I was once a player who worked really hard at doing better. Played lots of tournaments, practiced putts every night, worked on drives and "trick shots" several days a week. Then came the brain tumor that changed eveything. It directly affected the throwing side of my body. I still play. I still try to compete. I finished DFL at every tourney I went to for two years. I PLAY FOR FUN!! I love disc golf and will play as long as I can hold a disc.

where does fun fit in to the sport for you? where does improving fit in? how do they interact? think about this

are you "happy" with your game? do you feel like you'd have more fun if you were a better disc golfer? the best disc golfer i know has periods where he can't stand the sport and needs to be away from it entirely

Some of you are too young to really understand what I am about to, say, but I really wish I knew of this sport 25-30 years ago.

This is what is important:
  1. Spiritual - Take care of your Spiritual life.
  2. Social - Have deep and meaningful relationships.
  3. Financial - You do not have to be a millionaire, but you need to be able to take care of yourself.
  4. Physical - You need to exercise, and take care of your body.

Disc Golf is a awesome Physical exercise, it gets you out in the fresh air in nice parks, and you walk, and climb, and swing, and throw, etc. My only warning, be careful on your elbow trying to develop snap.

Since Disc Golf gets you off the couch, and you love the game, you take it seriously, and start eating better, drinking lots of water, and another side effect, you meet other disc Golfers, and become Social, and start developing relationships. Sometimes, these connections can lead to a job or a $ making opportunity, helping you Financially.

There is also a peace in this game that allows you to forget everything, but the game, clear your mind, and you can pray (I would advise to Jesus Christ).

Now Disc Golf doesn't fill everything in life, but it surely helps the Physical, and it can extend into other things. AND, the game is FUN. So if you really look with the right perspective, when a disc hits the rim of the basket on your birdie throw, and rolls 40 away into water, it upsets you, yea... but your just getting in some cardio anyways while playing the game you love.

Anytime Im on the course Im having fun, but I also know that when your playing good its a lot more fun. I continue to push and try to improve because becoming a skilled disc golfer is a dream of mine.

Yeah, Almost every time I'm on the course I am having a great time, and lots of fun. There are times when I'm playing terribly but I usually can get over that and just enjoy it. Getting better is also very important to me, sports are almost always more fun if you succeed. So I think having fun is more important, but if you practice and get better, the more you will have fun imo.

I have three different types of rounds...

When I go and play by myself, I consider those rounds my practice and develop times. I throw multiple shots off the tee and multiple shots from each shot. If I am ever going to get mad or upset, it will be when I am by myself. If I have an off day when playing by myself, I will stop playing and go home. My perspective is if I am having a bad day and getting upset, I will keep throwing bad which will not help me at all but teach me bad habits which I do not want to pick up. So, I would rather stop for the day, go home and take a day off.

My second type of round is a casual round with other people. When I play these rounds, I play strictly for fun. That's it. I want and try to play well; but if I don't, I usually just laugh my shots off, have fun and just try more the next hole. Or just say '**** it' and start throwing some ridiculous shots for entertainment and laughs lol.

My third type of round is any type of competition round. Any singles, doubles or any type of event. These are kind of tricky. Overall, I try and have fun simply because if I don't I tend to play worse. Playing well and getting better in these events are important but having fun is just as important to me because it will effect how you play. And if you are not having fun, you are usually getting pissed off and making an ass of yourself.

The last local singles event we played locally, it was raining very hard all day. About 20 people showed and we all played. I played terrible, i shot a 60 and 58 out of a two par 54 courses. I placed last place. That was the most fun I have ever had playing any type of tournament. I did not play well from the start so I said '**** it' and just starting throwing ridiculous shots. If you can't do well, have fun.

I had an awful day today. I just wasn't having fun. I mean, I was only at +1 after 9, but I quit then because I wasn't having fun. I was getting frustrated at myself for mildly bad (recoverable) throws... If it isn't fun, quit and come back another day!