• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you do to warm up?

coogs

Par Member
Do you have any set routine or set of stretches that helps you get ready for a round? I don't have one set yet (haven't found something I like) and I don't get in any kind of groove till the fourth hole, which, of course, hurts my round.

i stretch from the ankles up before each round. especially my hammi's. when those cramp it hurts real bad so those are my most important stretches.

i like to throw a few warm up drives and mid shots and put in 15 minutes of putting.

I get a rhythmic breathing going when getting set up for putts and practicing (5-10 min) before rounds. I also have a little routine for every drive, upshot, sidearm, overhand, scoobr, ect.

Took a yoga class a year ago and picked up some stretches that are awesome for disc golf, as far as rotating the entire trunk of the body, working the back, shoulders and groin/hamstring all at the same time. So I do about 10 min of stretches before a round--I advise all to pick up a yoga book at the library and check it out, some of these simple positions really improve physical (and mental) health.

If I'm playing with friends I try to get them to play catch with me for awhile before a round, usually with a Classic Roc or Aviar. Helps my timing, gets me running around, gets the blood moving.

If alone I first throw maybe 50 putts, all within 25 feet, making sure I finish with five in a row from 15 feet since missing those makes me want to tear the basket out of the ground. Then on the first tee I throw all my putters as warm up drives.

I freaking hate it when I'm playing with someone who wants to just hop out of the car and start chucking discs, my score always suffers.

I use to be a get up and throw player. I've adopted longer and more thurough warmups however. I'll throw 20-30 putts to feel my timing, some approaches with putters, and make some drives with several different lines and angles of release.

If I ever get stuck playing a round with no warmup, the first six or so holes are always rough. After that my throws smooth out and I'll finish strong.

The first 9 are my warmup. Then I run through 18 once or twice. If I'm waiting on a friend or 2 I will putt on hole 18 (way convineint). Catch always seems to just happen. Cooincidentally I'm way better at throwing than catching.

on a hot day, i roll down the windows on the way to the course. that gets me "warm."

i know it sounds like a joke, but run the heater in your car to warm up your body. (it's like the hot-tub theory). depending on your passengers preference of course.

remember playing discgolf on a butt cold day? now on a hot day? big difference, egh?

note: don't try the "drink-something-hot-to-warm-up" warm up. it only stimulates a bowl movement (which is scientifically true, by the way).

I either do one of two things:

1. If i ever go and play without warming up it always takes me about 9 holes to start feeling good. So if i have time ill play the front nine as a warm-up. At my course the 9th hole leads right back to hole 1 so its perfect.

2. And if i wanna get a round going a little quicker ill just putt for 10 minutes or so. Then empty my bag on the first hole throwing every disc in my bag. Go collect them and then start.

In route to course I play some metal (which usually gets me pumped).
On arrival I usually stretch a bit (about 5 minutes) throw some low power accuracy shots on hole 1 with my clones and maybee putt a bit unless the others in group are jonesin to throw.

Pagan

Latest posts