• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stop asking if you are outside the circle!

I would say that I jump putt for the same reason you don't jump putt. The additional weight shift allows me to use a shorter motion, it moves a lot of the work from the smaller more error prone arm to the larger more consistent muscles in the legs.

I remember one time spectating USDGC, in 2007, before C1 was marked. I went to watch Geoff Bennett's card for a bit

Once I learned how to step and jump putt, I never looked back. Once you get the timing of the lower body down pat, It feels like I'm just reaching my hand out, so much easier to aim. Like I always say, it's fun, and it's an athletic and skillful weapon to have in your Disc Golf short game arsenal. Anytime I see people in here indicating that it's a lesser maneuver or one that doesn't fit in with the spirit of the game or whatever, I am reminded of how just having a forehand 25-30 years ago was regarded the same way.

I have even seen some people opine that newcomers to the sport might not take us seriously if they see people stepping past their lie to do this maneuver. On the contrary, I like how they look from an athletic aesthetic, and having another strategy to choose on the course actually adds to the diversity of mental factors we have. Different pros have different looks to their jump and step putts and it's fun to observe them, just as it is to observe their other idiosyncratic Disc Golf maneuvers. Whatever, it's perfectly legal to do this and how was that growth over the last four years again?

Watching Kevin Jones and Chris Dickerson putt from C2 on Jomez made me want to try it after decades of not doing it. Now I love it. And I nail a lot of C2 attempts. It's one of the things my little neurons love from playing this game.

BTW, I've seen Geoff Bennett play too. Speaking of a different style! Dude finished 6th at worlds once, a great Michigan player. At one c-tier a couple of years ago he and Daymon Pugh were in sudden death OT after tying in regulation in pro masters and the whole tournament followed them for a few holes while they settled the matter. It was at Jaycee Park near G.R. I also remember Daymon from the old days. I had to look it up because I couldn't remember who won, but it was Daymon, who had shot a 1040-rated round in the afternoon to tie it up. I love how you can still play pretty well when you're old in this sport!!

Latest posts