• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What does "flattening" do to a disc???

nnelson42

Bogey Member
What does "flattening" do to a disc?

I'm guessing it makes the disc overstable?

I just picked up 3 rocs (2 dx and 1 kc pro 12x) to replace my only one i lost this week. I'm pretty certain I want these to be the mids I throw on the majority of my shots.

My plan is to have the kc pro to be my overstable roc because it beats in a little slower than the dx. Will flattening it aid in keeping it stable longer by already starting as a more overstable flyer than the standard domey mold?

People will bitch on here how it's illegal for PDGA use. That said, if you flatten out a beat up DX disc then yes it will regain some stability.

Flattening a roc (dx/kc) will make it faster and have less dump at the end. It will generally be straighter. If the plh remains high on it then it will be fairly overstable. I love very flat kc pros!

Depends on the disc mold, I've seen more discs get understable once flatten then more overstable. It's not even close if I was to think back and count the differences.

Flat discs seem to have less glide, making them appear more overstable. Also with a lot of glide, discs seem to want to turn over easier. Atleast in my experience.

Accidentally flattened an esp surge and that thing is stupid overstable... I felt like I made a venom lol

I've noticed the Discraft Elite Z drivers that come out flat(almost all of them now) are overstable and glideless...Surge, Flash, XS to name a few.

I think it really comes down to PLH, and discs that mold up flat appear to pull the rim edge up compared to those that maintain their dome.

Depends on the disc mold, I've seen more discs get understable once flatten then more overstable. It's not even close if I was to think back and count the differences.

Agreed. One of my favorite molds, Lat64's Vision - I have a flat one and an old domed one. The flat one is a LOT more understable than the domey one. I can get more distance from the flat/understable one because of the helix flight I get from a horizontal (flat) release.

I thought about flattening the domey one, but I'd probably ruin it if I try. I'm lucky that way.

it's been my experience that rocs flattened using the methods often quoted on this site are less stable that before they were flattened.

Flat topping rocs will make them turn a little easier and fly faster.
I haven't actually flattened a Roc, but the flat ones I've had flew like that, too. They were a bit better when new, but not nearly as good when they beat up a bit. I avoid the flat ones now.

What is that supposed to accomplish except ruin a perfectly good disc? Not to mention make it PDGA UNcertified.

47e8dbce_Point_over_your_head1.jpeg

Does it maybe depend on whats going on with the disc otherwise, like the rim shape (convex/concave) etc?

I used to have a domey Champ Firebird that was kinda glidey. It faded hard, but not for like 250+. I lost it.

I found a new one, same weight, they were/are KC 12x champ, but the one I have now is FLAT. Basically, it's a Flick. And this sumgun is OS. Like more so than anything I've ever messed with. At my average power level, this think starts fading immediately, and rolls over into the fade like 60 deg. Granted form is an issue with my thumbers, but I can't get it to roll all the way over unless there's like a 40 mph headwind.

I can FH power grip it at a roller type angle, and it's basically flying 275 straight, and still finishing hard right.

Does it maybe depend on whats going on with the disc otherwise, like the rim shape (convex/concave) etc?

I used to have a domey Champ Firebird that was kinda glidey. It faded hard, but not for like 250+. I lost it.

I found a new one, same weight, they were/are KC 12x champ, but the one I have now is FLAT. Basically, it's a Flick. And this sumgun is OS. Like more so than anything I've ever messed with. At my average power level, this think starts fading immediately, and rolls over into the fade like 60 deg. Granted form is an issue with my thumbers, but I can't get it to roll all the way over unless there's like a 40 mph headwind.

I can FH power grip it at a roller type angle, and it's basically flying 275 straight, and still finishing hard right.

I bought the new one...I'm not a finder/keeper. And I love it. For those "skip around the corner" shots, it's unbelievable.

It depends on the mold. As said, flat topped rocs are faster with less glide and usually dead nuts stable/straight. Personally I love em, they hold a line for days and handle torque well. High speed drivers with flat tops are usually more understable.