• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] What is known about the Passion?

I guess she was kinda going for an XS, fairway feel, but with enough stability to avoid being too flippy in the lighter weights she was looking for?

I can't do a side by side comparison, but it seems to have a bit more concave wing than the XS, which should increase stability.

Just thinking out loud.... :popcorn:

As an older player with an 8 speed arm, I appreciate that it's lightweight...but I was burned so many times by the "great for all players" hype from most disc manufacturers...

"The Captain is a great introduction to distance drivers for newer players and a predictable understable disc for more experienced players."

"The Prodigy Disc X5 is an understable, low profile, high-speed distance driver. It is great for all players."

(These two were pulled at random...but I feel like DD and Prodigy are the worst offenders).

The Passion might be a great disc. But between the marketing hype and the variance that different manufacturers use to apply the same four numbering scheme, it all feels pretty random sometimes.

Paige just parked hole 1 at Great lakes open with the Passion. . only FPO player to birdy that hole

I wonder if Discraft will have any of the popular discs in stock 5min after the drop. .

I hope to try the Passion....in 2022

I tried out a friend's swirl ESP Passion (167g) today for 4 or so throws. Flies like a slightly broken in Star TL3. Slight flip up or drift, followed by mellow but consistent fade. Money flight out of the box! Nice and gummy as well.

Mint Jackalope(which I have thrown a bunch) has the same flight numbers as the Passion....so I don't have a want or need to try this disc.
Also, the Mantis fits my game better and they are available now.

These sold pretty damn well and the Glo looks to be a more OS version.

So how close is the Passion to an FD?

The Protos are floppier for sure. I haven't thrown my Glo I bought at GMc yet, but I'm going to soon hopefully. The Stalker is a closer fit to an FD IMO, and the Passion is a Stalker with the fade beaten out of it and with a touch more turn.

Not noticing you and ignoring you are different things.

Post the video already; who in 2021 would click on a link?

I just figured people would either get the reference from the fact that I mentioned REM, or wouldn't so much care.

Just having a bit of fun. No worries. :D

I just figured people would either get the reference from the fact that I mentioned REM, or wouldn't so much care.

Just having a bit of fun. No worries. :D
Teh Interwebz is very serious business; we will not tolerate this "fun" you talk about. :|

*is drifting a thread about a disc I don't know anything about*

Received my glo Passion in the mail over the weekend, I had picked it up looking for something like an FD to compliment the Mantis I throw. Not that it matters but it was a blue one with a pink stamp, really nice looking disc. First thing I noticed was that it is flat, board flat across the top, has a little shoulder then just flat. Didn't feel too comfortable in the hand either, the bottom wing is like a scrunched up fairway wing, I know that's not a great descriptor but it's the best I can come up with. Bottom of the wing comes to a pretty sharp point (where a bead would be) and doesn't feel great in my hand, backhand or forehand.

Took it out in the field to compare it with an ESP and Z Mantis (both of which fly very similar) and a beefyish Leopard 3. The first glaring thing I noticed was the lack of glide, the Passion was coming up 30' shorter than the Mantis on every throw (flat, hyzer, hyzer flip, anny), it just seemed to want to fall out of the air, it was more stable than the 1 rating but it's a new disc and I can see it breaking in and losing some of that but it just didn't want to fly is what I was seeing from the disc. For reference the Mantis is a 300' disc for me with a smooth throw, I can put a little sauce on it and get them out to 330' but I try and keep it at 300' and I feel I'd really have to work to get the Passion to that.

Maybe the ESP ones are a little different, maybe mine got flattened out too much in shipping and that killed it's glide, I don't know. I do know I'm pretty disappointed by this particular one.

Received my glo Passion in the mail over the weekend, I had picked it up looking for something like an FD to compliment the Mantis I throw. Not that it matters but it was a blue one with a pink stamp, really nice looking disc. First thing I noticed was that it is flat, board flat across the top, has a little shoulder then just flat. Didn't feel too comfortable in the hand either, the bottom wing is like a scrunched up fairway wing, I know that's not a great descriptor but it's the best I can come up with. Bottom of the wing comes to a pretty sharp point (where a bead would be) and doesn't feel great in my hand, backhand or forehand.

Took it out in the field to compare it with an ESP and Z Mantis (both of which fly very similar) and a beefyish Leopard 3. The first glaring thing I noticed was the lack of glide, the Passion was coming up 30' shorter than the Mantis on every throw (flat, hyzer, hyzer flip, anny), it just seemed to want to fall out of the air, it was more stable than the 1 rating but it's a new disc and I can see it breaking in and losing some of that but it just didn't want to fly is what I was seeing from the disc. For reference the Mantis is a 300' disc for me with a smooth throw, I can put a little sauce on it and get them out to 330' but I try and keep it at 300' and I feel I'd really have to work to get the Passion to that.

Maybe the ESP ones are a little different, maybe mine got flattened out too much in shipping and that killed it's glide, I don't know. I do know I'm pretty disappointed by this particular one.

I have thrown the Protos and GLO runs, and the ESP are quite a bit flippier and glider. The GLO makes a great OS compliment to the ESP. Grab an ESP and see if that's what you're looking for (I think it is).

Sounds like a Cyclone. I saw a video of the Passion and the underside looked exactly the same. Yup, not very comfortable, even though it was my first and only disc I threw for 2 years (20 years ago).