• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the best way to do a rhbh roller?

KNole

Eagle Member
My roller is very inconsistent and im trying to work on it. Sometimes it will roll forever and other times it will start curving as soon as it hits the ground. I was never taught how to do a roller so i dont know the correct motion. I watched a few videos on youtube and couldnt really find a good one. the one i watched had comments on how the guy has no idea what hes talking about etc. Are there any good videos out there? and What is a good technique?

There's a pretty good video around here from someone in KY (methinks). I think they recommended using a Condor for the disc, but the video itself was very informative. Do a search on roller video and see what you can find.

I have a dx Sidewinder that turns over easily. I throw it flat with as much snap as I can, I try to angle it so it hits flat ground at about a 30 degree angle from vertical. I aim it left of my target to allow for the roll around at the end. It'll always flip up and end on it's top when the spin dies out.
If the land is not flat then you have to adjust your landing angle, that will come with trial and error. It's not easy rolling on the side of a hill.

You can use a number of discs as rollers. I also have an old dx XD I use for shorter rollers to get out of trouble. I suggest getting a disc you like that has a stiff rim, which are most drivers. DX plastic will get flippy faster.

Its funny, I throw my backhand rollers like a terribly released backhand throw,

palm up like crazy, and pulling from high to low.

idk if thats good advice, but it works for me.

I watched the same video and saw instant results. They discuss RHBH rollers, cut rollers, and scooby rollers. Discraft's getting out of trouble video is good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5joRhBOjDM

what a crappy video.

no zoom-ins on the grip, people in the way of the camera shots, flaky audio.

who the hell is that supposed to help?

I hope it got better, cause i gave up after 2 minutes.

what a crappy video.

No likey? Well I didn't make it and this isn't a commentary on film making so the quality really shouldn't matter. As I think the OP stated, roller videos on youtube suck. That's why I threw the Discraft video out there too. Just for you.

i great way to learn roller mechanics is to use a superclass disc to learn. It will really teach you the finer mechanics of the roller. I learned how to roll when i was teaching my dogs how to play frisbee. I can now take my dog disc (Skyhoundz Jawz) and roll it out to ~200'. I put my beat Sirius OLF out about 400' with good (not great) accuracy.
then when you apply it to disc golf its all about getting that disc spinning and hitting at the right angle (i try to achieve a ~60 degree angle on my landing). Hitting the ground at the appropriate angle is how you get it to go straight. good discs to beginning learning the roller are roadrunners, leopards, beasts, XS, xpress, etc. Actually the worst roller disc i ever tried was a #1 Roller.
Another easy roller to learn is sidearming them. Just release it on an angle similar to how you want it to land (longer distances of air time before rolling will require a greater difference in release to landing angle).

Try a Stratus, any plastic (I use the ESP version). It's amazing for rollers. I've also heard that beat Stingrays work well as rollers. I usually just bring my arm over kinda like a windmill with a lot snap at the end to produce the spin it needs for a good/long roll. But I'm also still very new to DG, so what do I know?

I curently use a beat X-Wildcat and a relatively new Avenger SS as my primary distance rollers. I also recommend DX Cobras as medium distance and 'get out of trouble' rollers.

what a crappy video.

The clinic wasn't intended to be a definitive video on learning rollers, someone just happened to have a video camera with them. It was a free clinic to anyone in and around the Louisville area by some of the top pros. Complaining about various aspects of the video won't get you any closer to throwing great rollers.

I use an Elite X Xpress. and I throw it very similiar to my reg backhand.
Granted I cant get the HUGE D the upper level players do because they throw cut rollers, mine can still get 400+ D
You really just need to learn the disc your trying to roll with. Start it out holding hyzer and then snap hard and aim left.
From there you should be able to tell what you need to adjust(angle of disc, where your aiming etc)
Trust me I started doing this about a year ago and it not only helped me with rollers but helped me with turnover shots and annys

Why is it that under stable discs are preferred for rollers?

Under stable discs turn over faster, thus you don't have to put as much effort into the throw (assuming RHBH). NOW, your stronger arms and more advance players will more than likely roll with a very beat stable disc. They do this because they stay rolling straightish longer.

I roll with Avenger SS's, Meteors, and XLs. And I've been messing around with Nuke rollers.

rollers are hard to learn,but once your body learns its form its starts to come around,where you want to lay it down on the ground would be next,distance between you and where disc hits ground,and comitt to it like any other drive,have 1 or 2 hole that just become roller holes,old sidewinder great rollers

The clinic wasn't intended to be a definitive video on learning rollers, someone just happened to have a video camera with them. It was a free clinic to anyone in and around the Louisville area by some of the top pros. Complaining about various aspects of the video won't get you any closer to throwing great rollers.

...and neither will the video itself.

Latest posts