• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the best/your favorite disc retriever

iaX6eiu.jpg

My homemade rig at Fountain hills today.

I have been putting it off but I bought a Kwik Stik today. After not finding a good mounting solution for the disc gator someone had a Kwik Stik mount posted on FB. Looks alot more convenient and look forward to trying it out

I have a Kwik Stik (hook model) that attached inside the frame of my Zuca Backpack LG cart. But when I'm carrying the backpack, I have a Hive Disc Claw in my bag. Last Sunday 3 or 4 "opportunities" to use the claw, and I am completely sold on it.

Has anyone tried to combine a Disc Claw/Golden Retriever with a stick retriever? If you shorten the line and tie it to the end of a Kwik-stik? In my mind it would help with the accuracy and getting the retriever out there in the pond without having to throw it a million times... :D

Has anyone tried to combine a Disc Claw/Golden Retriever with a stick retriever? If you shorten the line and tie it to the end of a Kwik-stik? In my mind it would help with the accuracy and getting the retriever out there in the pond without having to throw it a million times... :D

Like fly fishing for discs? Doesn't seem terribly practical to me.

Also, I've used my stick for way more dry retrievals (beyond fences, in trees, etc.) than I have for water retrievals so maybe my opinion is irrelevant.

I have two retrievers. Living here in Arizona, the ponds are two types: dirt and clay lined. The dirt ones, any type of retriever works. The clay lined ones, like Fountain Park, they don't allow the hook type of retrievers so when I play there I take my KwikStick with the cage. Elsewhere, I use my Infinite Discs Rescue Retriever - which also works great for getting discs away from cacti.

I have two retrievers. Living here in Arizona, the ponds are two types: dirt and clay lined. The dirt ones, any type of retriever works. The clay lined ones, like Fountain Park, they don't allow the hook type of retrievers so when I play there I take my KwikStick with the cage. Elsewhere, I use my Infinite Discs Rescue Retriever - which also works great for getting discs away from cacti.

stupid question here

like fountain park department doesnt allow them

or it straight up doesnt work on those types of ponds

or both

The one that works best for me is my wife. While only useful in warm weather, her short shorts and ability to just flip off her sandals and always want to cool down retrieves me many of my errant shots. ;)

Flip side is that I'm the "stuck in a tree" guy. So I get to climb up trees and shake branches like an orangutan. This is our system, I have no complaints. It's getting harder to be the tarzan retriever as I get older though :D

Flip side is that I'm the "stuck in a tree" guy. So I get to climb up trees and shake branches like an orangutan. This is our system, I have no complaints. It's getting harder to be the tarzan retriever as I get older though :D

I found the Disc Gator with 11 foot tent pole comes in handy for trees. Unscrew the gator head and poke discs out of trees. I have the 11 foot one that breaks down into 2 foot sections and slides nicely into the backpack. Moar golf, less monkeying around. :thmbup:

Some day I'm going to modify my Kwik Stik to take the Disc Gator head. Should make for an excellent retriever for my use.

Some day I'm going to modify my Kwik Stik to take the Disc Gator head. Should make for an excellent retriever for my use.

Love the idea, but...

Something to keep in mind, is that a "friction fit" telescoping pole works great for pulling. You might not be able to exert nearly as much force with a push.

Whereas the bungee corded tent poles I use with my Gator are just the opposite: they can push, but separate from each other when pulled hard enough.

The Gator requires a rapid, forward push (a small jolt, if you will), for the disc to push the "trigger" out of the way before it will snap shut.

Not saying you need the force of a jackhammer, but it might require more force than some telescoping poles can handle, thereby preventing the Gator from clamping down on the disc.

...or possibly just push the disc a bit further away.

One thing I love about the Gator is, once it clamps down, it ain't letting go of that disc.

Last edited:
Like fly fishing for discs? Doesn't seem terribly practical to me.

Also, I've used my stick for way more dry retrievals (beyond fences, in trees, etc.) than I have for water retrievals so maybe my opinion is irrelevant.

No, the line would be only maybe 6-8 inches and tied to the kwik-stiks hook for easy detaching so you could use the kwik-stik for trees easily. The stick would simply offer better aiming and also be quicker to move to another spot, as you wouldn't have to pull the retriever and all of the long line all the way to the shore, simply lift it up and move to the other spot.:)

I guess one could really use one of those telescopic fishing rods as they are long and light weighted.

I found the Disc Gator with 11 foot tent pole comes in handy for trees. Unscrew the gator head and poke discs out of trees. I have the 11 foot one that breaks down into 2 foot sections and slides nicely into the backpack. Moar golf, less monkeying around. :thmbup:

I need a tree poker that's closer to 60 feet.

That's when you pull out the slingshot with a golf ball.

We have a cliff throw, that has some grabby trees at the base. Not 100% certain of the height, but 60' is a fair guess.

I loaded up in slingshot ammo to try and kick one loose once. It's much harder than you would think. So close yet so far away. In this case the tree was within the clump of woods so getting a clean line was challenging.

I don't think my slingshot would send a golf ball that high.

I really wanted to use something with more explicit aim like a paintball gun. Those things are expensive.

Q: What is the best/your favorite disc retriever?
A: One you never have to use.

Latest posts