• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is Wrong With My Forehand????

mike3216

Bogey Member
Playing for about 1.5 years, I have been throwing forehands for about three months. Here is the problem: When I throw smooth and easy, most of my disc take a flex line, but I can't throw a hyzer. When I accelerate, most of my discs flip to rollers. The only disc that consistently behaves is my Discraft Nuke, which I have thrown on a long flex line out to almost 450'. I can occasionally make my G-Star Thunderbird behave, as well as my DX Katana. But most of the time, not. Given my basic understanding of disc physics, I think what I need to do is reduce the amount of spin I am applying in relation to the release velocity of the disc, right? How do you modulate spin on your forehand?

I just want one of those nice, smooth hyzer forehands that I control reasonably well.

If you're tossing 450 for real after 3 months, just stay gold.

Otherwise, is say the issue is disc selection. As a lifelong forehand thrower who is now trying to pick up a backhand, i can say the discs are noticably different flicked vs BH. Something understable BH, still falls off FH.

Or, after reading that again, is it as simple as release angle?

Playing for about 1.5 years, I have been throwing forehands for about three months. Here is the problem: When I throw smooth and easy, most of my disc take a flex line, but I can't throw a hyzer. When I accelerate, most of my discs flip to rollers. The only disc that consistently behaves is my Discraft Nuke, which I have thrown on a long flex line out to almost 450'. I can occasionally make my G-Star Thunderbird behave, as well as my DX Katana. But most of the time, not. Given my basic understanding of disc physics, I think what I need to do is reduce the amount of spin I am applying in relation to the release velocity of the disc, right? How do you modulate spin on your forehand?

I just want one of those nice, smooth hyzer forehands that I control reasonably well.
More spin would be more likely to help and stable-overstable discs(Nukes and Katanas(especially DX) are supposed to flip). Your discs are may have beaten in and lost their stability. More spin keeps the disc straighter/stable. More speed is what causes more turn/roll over and in some cases OAT/wobble. Trying to throw harder or juice it, often creates more over torque and the extra airspeed also turns it over like headwinds.

I don't really modulate spin throws. I just sling it like a hammer and 70% effort. I'd recommend a Champ/Star Xcal or Destroyer or Firebird or ESP Venom for what you are trying do.

If you're tossing 450 for real after 3 months, just stay gold.

Or, after reading that again, is it as simple as release angle?

The 450 is not something that happens all the time, but yeah, when it does, it's legit.

I have messed with release angle, and I think I am close. Not a lot of wobble from off-axis releases.

I don't see lots of potential improvement from trying to modulate spin. It's tough to do and probably won't help that much.

Kinda wanna see video. There are a lot of long forehands out there that are very far removed from "nice smooth hyzer forehands." I'm suspicious there's some kind of OAT involved, since that can work great for high speed and/or overstable discs. How's your follow through? And can you throw putters or mids?

Also, I'm just curious... any background in baseball, football, or other throwing sports?

The key to throwing a forehand hyzer is to release the disc with the palm of your hand facing up. The natural motion your body wants to take is to roll your wrist over, this is what you are doing when you throw the flex line. You need to fight that natural motion and keep your palm facing the sky when you release. You wont get the same long distance, but you will be able to get the disc to finish farther to the right usually with a big flare skip. If you want big distance using a forehand hyzer, use a high speed driver that will flip up to flat (like McBeasts beat up destroyer), stall and go straight, then fade, but you still need to keep your palm up!

Watch the vids, all the pros are doing it.

Make sure you finish with your palm facing up. Most good forehand throwers I know use very overstable plastic (nuke isn't overstable)