• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your max thumber distance?

What is your max thumbed distance?

• Zero, I don't throw them

Votes: 19 12.2%

Votes: 15 9.6%

Votes: 20 12.8%

Votes: 20 12.8%

Votes: 35 22.4%

Votes: 18 11.5%

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • 325+

Votes: 18 11.5%

• Total voters
i dont think i could put one out past 250. i guess ive never measured this type of throw since its usually only used for utility purposes

Mine is 225 currently, really been working on them more to add it to my game, seen a few Pro's on videos throw 350 which seems crazy (Shwebby and Jerm).

i always feel like i throw my arm out when i throw like that. and i usually do so i try not to...

you throw the thumber sideways off the teebox on hole 8 at bunker?

i always feel like i throw my arm out when i throw like that. and i usually do so i try not to...

you throw the thumber sideways off the teebox on hole 8 at bunker?

Yeah and barely clear the trees. They've gotten taller over the years though.

oh i was going to say last time i was there which was 2 days ago haha, i cleared the trees and got it a notch past that group of trees on the right hand side up closer by the basket. with a sfb. whiffed the putt. i remember back in the day you were actually able to throw a long monster anny. now that path is pretty much dead.

there really isnt any other holes that i can think of that i thumb off the pad though

I can throw a kids football 60 yards, I wonder if I just don't get enough wrist snap or something and Yeah my shoulder does hurt sometimes too.

I can only throw thumbers around 180, but in internet feet that's probably
about 500ft

I only use them to get out of trees. I played around with thumbers in a field and my best might have been 200, but I doubt it.

So like Mr. Butlertron, I voted 325+ internet being what it is, I don't want to look like a fool in front of you all.

What discs are good for thumbers? I've been trying to throw this shot, but not sure if I should use stable or understable discs.

I have thrown pin high on a hole that is 330 a couple of times. (25ft.~ of that is roll distance.)

It honestly depends on the kind of thumber you are throwing. The sky high, slow turnover thumber, I can get right at 300, but throw around 280 consistently. I like throwing a lid skip thumber too, but I can only get that one out to 245 or so (again, I know this because there are a couple of holes at home I throw these one.).
The best way to get thumber distance for me is to throw a super over stable disc, in my case I throw a newer star firebird, and try to throw it like an outfielder missing the cutoff man.

I don't generally chime in about distance and what not, but my thumber is my "not sure what to do here, so I will try to make a thumber work" shot. And truly, it works most of the time. Now if you want to talk about throwing an anny...woof. My anny is embarrassingly bad.

About 30 feet. Thumbers are my " get me out of these infernal briars" shot.

Last edited:
I voted 200. 200ft. is max but most of the time it is really just a get out of trouble shot i use when i screwed up my drive. :doh:

I use an Opto Trident 172g for basically all my overhead shots.

I can get them over 300 but it takes a really good snap and the right angle. Longest is likely around 350 on a great day. My shoulder doesn't much care for throwing them that hard

I don't know and I'm pretty sure it would hurt too much to find out. :\

Can't throw them because of a bum shoulder. I end up throwing some 3/4 pseudo-thumber that's actually more of a FH throw.

I also can't climb across monkey bars.