• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your winter weather limit?

I gladly play in: (select all that apply)

• Temps under 40F

Votes: 179 68.6%
  • Temps under freezing

Votes: 147 56.3%
  • Temps under 20F

Votes: 124 47.5%
  • High wind and temp under freezing

Votes: 110 42.1%
  • Minimal snow (disc unlikely to bury in most places)

Votes: 160 61.3%
  • Heavy to drifting snow (disc will bury in many places)

Votes: 114 43.7%
  • Ice - (slick frozen ground and/or icy tee pads)

Votes: 117 44.8%

• Total voters

MarkDSM

Double Eagle Member
Just curious. A buddy and I played today on a hilly central Iowa course. Cleaned tee boxes as we went. Around 8 degrees F, wind gusts to 35 mph, and 4+ inches of powdery fresh snow with drifting. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

yup. anytime. I've played in a blizzard with snow blowing sideways. After all, this is an addiction not a sport, right? LOL

my only winter limit would be the same as summer limit and that's based on injury, work or family commitments, never weather.

I have played in worse weather then my limit before, but I prefer not to play if it is below 20-25 degrees. Usually there is a windchill coupled with that temperature and it makes it painful to be out there.

There's not much that will keep me off the course. I've lived in Ely, MN, wasn't disc golfing at the time, but I learned to live in the cold (regularly below zero, often -30 or colder, coldest I saw was -58F). Coldest I've played was -12F, or -30F windchill, no amount of snow will keep me off the course, I've been known to play with baskets completely buried.

Part of me wants to go back north just so I can DG in more extreme weather.

In reality it depends on how motivated I am, if I was planning on DG for a certain time I won't let anything stop me. If I'm sitting around bored I'm less likely to head out to the course in below zero/windy weather than say 25* and sunny. Which is perfect this time of year if you ask me. 25* it's easy to stay warm with minimal layers, but the snow isn't melting and sticking to discs and the ground is getting sloppy.

Which brings me to my next point, I'm more of a sally when it comes to sloppy nasty, than I am cold weather. If I'm likely to need more than 3 towels, F that.

I've had a nasty cough that's kept me inside for the last few weeks... but other than that I don't have much of a limit. Snowstorm just started, can't wait to get out on Saturday!

In reality it depends on how motivated I am, if I was planning on DG for a certain time I won't let anything stop me. If I'm sitting around bored I'm less likely to head out to the course in below zero/windy weather than say 25* and sunny. Which is perfect this time of year if you ask me. 25* it's easy to stay warm with minimal layers, but the snow isn't melting and sticking to discs and the ground is getting sloppy.

Which brings me to my next point, I'm more of a sally when it comes to sloppy nasty, than I am cold weather. If I'm likely to need more than 3 towels, F that.

This. I've played some cooold rounds this winter. I prefer it sub-freezing but above 15. Some wind is the usual. Sun is nice.

I played BRP the other day and it started out 32 degrees with a 5mph wind and then it dropped to about 15 degrees with 60 mph gusts. That was cold.

I've played in temperatures down to -10 with -35 windchill and snow up to my waist, there really isn't much that will keep me from playing if I'm far from home and want to play new courses. I do switch to playing zephyr only rounds when there's deep powdery snow, they stay on top and I don't have to deal with ribbon or searching for discs.

I'll play in anything. I hate icy teepads more than anything else on that list; I really need to find my crampons.

When it gets in the single digits its just not fun anymore for me. I've done it, but didn't enjoy it.......Depth of the snow doesn't bother me, just as long as the baskets are not buried

This is my first winter. I really like playing in the 30s and 40s. Once you get moving, don't even need gloves. Upper 20s is probably the coldest so far, but I'm game to try colder if we get a chance.

Deep snow is a PITA, though. Spend way too much time looking around for entry marks. Maybe with some streamers on the discs.

Agreed I played a night round solo the other day 20 degrees 10mph wind. too cold for my friends in OKC. hand warmers and nike hyperwarm. I love to golf I'd rather be outside throwing than playing xbox any day!

I don't remember it even getting below 30 this year during the day. There might have been a few days, I don't really remember. But I've never played in the snow, so year round for me :thmbup:

Below about 35-40 degrees my bones start to hurt and I can't feel my hands. Texas is rough.:D

This may sound funny, but I think it'll make sense: I'm fine with cold (20s), but I hate playing in conditions that chill you (e.g, 20's with wind, low 30's and damp, below 20, etc). Just can't enjoy myself when I feel the kind of chill that penetrates - doesn't matter what I'm wearing.

Don't mind playing in snow (even if it's deep) as long as it's fairly dry. Once it begins to melt, things get messy and damp, and I'm not having a good time. WHne my fingers get numb and I have no feel for my disc, I'm done.

If I'm not having fun, why bother playing?

Last edited:
Played below freezing[handwarmer], snow and ice, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm with Martin, though, on sallying in the face of severe wet---started Milo one day and it was raining hard by #9. We finished 18 holes but the throwing was not effective.

Last edited:
No need for me to play in any of those conditions. No matter the weather today it will be likely be near 70 in a few days (winter in Texas is like that). I've played when it was windy and in the 50s though.

Curtis