• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Long driver is most like a Valkyrie??

Didn't somebody throw a valk 800' or something? Sounds long enough for me.
01_Star_Valkyrie.jpg

The Archon will live in a few bags after the fad fades away. But, the Valkyrie will live on in more bags than you can imagine for decades to come I'd say. There is a reason the disc held the record for so long. But, it's way more beginner friendly than an Archon, I'd recommend the Valk. Even though I hate them, it's better than the Archon.

just like that Buzzz fad that popped up huh?

More Distance Please

I have been asking myself this same question! I usually only throw Valkyries but I wanted to see if I could get more distance with other discs. With my most worn in Valkyrie I consistently throw a straight 300'-330' but never any further.

My goal is to reach 400' while not significantly changing my throwing mechanics as well as stay as close to the flight characteristics of the Valkyrie as possible. To start, this last month I picked up a Beast, a Viking and a Sidewinder.

The Viking and Sidewinder seem to fly as advertised compared to a Valkyrie and I'm sure I can use them as a substitute for my Valks on any given day. Neither seems to give a significant boost in distance though. On a side note, it's really nice to throw new plastic!

The Beast on the other hand has noticeably more glide and I was able to throw it 10'-20' past my furthest Valkyrie (I don't know the distance I was throwing on that day though). With a little practice I was able to throw the Beast down a straight fairway with some nice S turns, however it did require me to turn my hand over more than when I throw the Valkyrie.

So, the Beast does give me more distance but I feel that it requires more of an effort to throw compared to my Valkyrie. For now I will continue to use it and see if I can wear it in to the point where I don't have to turn it over so much.

In the future I'd like to pick up a Katana or maybe even a Wahoo. It seems like the Boss and Destroyer are very popular so I'd like to try those as well, but I have a Groove, which should be more understable than both of those and I don't really like it as it always flies off to the left (RHBH).

When I first started disc golfing I was a huge fan of the XL and the JLS so maybe I'll go back to those discs and see if I can get more distance from them...

Try the Archon... it's so smooth it could rape your sister and you wouldn't even care.

i just took my star valk out of the bag and put a nicely worn star beast in its place. its just a more dependable disc for me. still turns but can handle wind a little better.

i think i May and try to perfect the art of the valk

The Valk is my favorite disc, its just so controllable and they give you great distance.

I look at it as a faster buzz. Champion is the best plastic in my opinion.

Love the Archon. That disc in proto star is so nice and smooth. It will hold good lines and is like a beat in star wraith. Goes well with a star valk.

Beast

The Beast is definitely a big brother to the Valk - and feels like a slightly larger rim version of it on the grip. I have the Archon as well, which feels much more like a 'power driver' than the more moderate Valk; it also holds long anhyzers more effectively and takes a bit more arm and grip to throw.

If you turn over the Beast, or want something with a little less high speed turn; the SL is also a similar choice, and I like it's added stability for headwinds and big hyzers.

What long distance driver is most like a Valkyrie?

Also consider a Pro or DX Valk for eking out more glide.

just like that Buzzz fad that popped up huh?

Yeah, how many times has that been said for a new mold too? Not ever disc Innova ****s out is going to be a super star. The disc is already like a "beat" versin of a disc already out. Those disc rarely make it very long as most people will take the better disc and carry a few once they beat in some. These disc aren't terrible, but as I said they usually just sit in the bags of a few people that don't like that idea I mentioned above or that don't play enough go beat disc in that often.

From my short experience here most Innova drivers that come out get immediately flamed and written off, I've yet to hear anybody trash the Archon....

Latest posts