• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What should my next driver be???

progolfer33

Bogey Member
I am looking to buy one new driver because I don't feel like I have the higher distances completely covered at the moment. These are my drivers/mids:

Star Wraith
Star TL
Elite-z Buzzz
ESP Comet

Any suggestions on the next disc I should buy? I can throw around 400 with the Wraith, just to give you an idea of my arm speed.

oh nice so your distance for the wraith is right on. In that case i would suggest trying a boss or discraft disc equivalent to the boss

I guess the Boss is the early consensus. I was also considering something understable like a Monarch or Sidewinder. Any thoughts?

172 Star Destroyer.. throw a little anny on it and let it rip. I have a similar arm and throw wraiths as well. Havent picked one up since i got my destroyer

172 Star Destroyer.. throw a little anny on it and let it rip. I have a similar arm and throw wraiths as well. Havent picked one up since i got my destroyer

true i forgot about the destroyer, i've heard a lot of nice things about star destroyers.

I guess the Boss is the early consensus. I was also considering something understable like a Monarch or Sidewinder. Any thoughts?

You could use those also, but with your arm speed you'd have to be throwing hyzer flips with 'em. There's a place for both types of drivers in your bag, but I would say you definitely need a Boss (Star or Champ) for windy day throws.

Although, if you are considering an understable disc, I would recommend getting an R-Pro Boss in the heaviest weight you can find. This is a very different disc from the Champion or Star version and is much less stable, but more stable than a Sidewinder or Monarch.

I bet either Boss would add an instant 25' or more to your drives.

I am a big fan of the Sidewinder, at least until I threw mine into a lake and haven't had one since. I somehow have ended up with three Avenger SS's though. They behave very similarly and I am finding now that I am enjoying Discraft discs more. So, if you want something understable I would suggest the Avenger SS though with your apparent arm speed you may want something even a bit more stable like the Spectra. As far as the Monarch is concerned I have heard that it is much more stable than the ratings seem to suggest but it might also be worth a try for you because of that. I would say that a Boss or Destroyer are good discs but are only faster versions of the Wraith that you already have. I am sure they will increase distance but may not fill other voids in your bag.

for long distance i would say surge in esp or flx. thats just my opinion. maybe avenger if you're looking for something slightly more overstable.

I carry both the Monarch and sidewinder in my bag and throw both those backhand. The monarch does seem to be just slightly more stable, and hold the line better. The monarch is also a good driver in a tailwind. I tend to get more distance with the monarch than the sidewinder.
I also have star destroyers, but throw those forehand. With your arm speed/distance I would think that you would get more distance with a destroyer. If you are looking for something more stable than your wraith...go with a destroyer. If you want something slighly less stable than the wraith....go with the monarch.

I'd grab something fast and really overstable like a Z Predator, E Spirit or Champ Firebird. Work on all kinds of hyzers from shallow to really steep. You'd be surprised at how much control and accuracy you can get with those types of shots.

Latest posts