• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What the hell is a one finger grip?

Not to mention, the wrist likes to move up and down more than left and right. My grip puts the disc in line with the up and down motion.

That's not at all how the wrist likes to move. The range of motion from up and down is way more limited than from side to side, almost half. :confused:

Maybe because you are used to something else entirely. If you give it time, it might click. No guarantees, though. I would give it a legit chance if forehands are a big part of your game, or even if you do not forehand often but would like to implement them effectively, as once it starts to feel natural, you will not find a more effective forehand grip. It is actually really comfy once you get it down, because unlike the pistol grip, it does not torque your fingers laterally. Also, it uses the pad of your middle finger as the principle contact point instead of the side portion of it. Not to mention, the wrist likes to move up and down more than left and right. My grip puts the disc in line with the up and down motion. Makes it really easy to integrate the wrist, especially for short arm shots, which are from the elbow out. Not to mention, it accommodates all rim sizes. The same grip I use to throw something like a Buzzz...
1f7rd4.jpg

mv5ekp.jpg

...is the same grip I use to throw something like a Torrent. Does it get any easier? Or better?

That's the grip Avery Jenkins showed in one of his forehand grip tutorials. I tried it for forehand and was surprised at how comfortable it was...seemed to get a little more pop/power with it too.

:thmbup: Thuggy!

I don't see how you can even throw a one finger forehand.

Maybe it is cause I played ultimate first though.

@Thug

I tried your grip while practicing drives yesterday and am pretty sure I added another 40 foot to my drive. My front yard is officially too short for my drives now. Thanks +1,000,000

Just trying to help where I can, I am glad you hit paydirt buddy! Just wait til you really put some power into it, you will be amazed. Also, you should see tremendous increases in the accuracy of your forehand approaches once it starts to feel natural.

That's not at all how the wrist likes to move. The range of motion from up and down is way more limited than from side to side, almost half. :confused:

Have you had a major surgery or something?

For reference, palm down, flexing hand towards and away from you is up and down orientation for me.

That's the grip Avery Jenkins showed in one of his forehand grip tutorials. I tried it for forehand and was surprised at how comfortable it was...seemed to get a little more pop/power with it too.

:thmbup: Thuggy!

I am no Avery, he is a monster. But he definitely understands the importance of technique and form. Not a bad guy to steal forehand techniques from. I have a friend who throws just like he does, but my friend is also 6'3", 320 lbs haha. Anything will feel awkward at first, exception if you are a natural or something. The extra pop you are describing is just additional spin, I would wager. Having the right grip is fun like that.

Just trying to help where I can, I am glad you hit paydirt buddy! Just wait til you really put some power into it, you will be amazed. Also, you should see tremendous increases in the accuracy of your forehand approaches once it starts to feel natural.

For reference, palm down, flexing hand towards and away from you is up and down orientation for me.

I am no Avery, he is a monster. But he definitely understands the importance of technique and form. Not a bad guy to steal forehand techniques from. I have a friend who throws just like he does, but my friend is also 6'3", 320 lbs haha. Anything will feel awkward at first, exception if you are a natural or something. The extra pop you are describing is just additional spin, I would wager. Having the right grip is fun like that.

AJ's tutorial(written form, not a video) was something I stumbled on circa 2010. He showed pics of all his grips, including the classic 2 finger forehand and the one he was using(yours). I tried it and adjusted to it right away. Showed it to a friend and he picked it up instantly too. I would still go back and forth though. I don't throw forehand anymore, other than on some approach shots.

AJ's tutorial(written form, not a video) was something I stumbled on circa 2010. He showed pics of all his grips, including the classic 2 finger forehand and the one he was using(yours). I tried it and adjusted to it right away. Showed it to a friend and he picked it up instantly too. I would still go back and forth though. I don't throw forehand anymore, other than on some approach shots.

Forehand approach is my bread and butter, arguably the strongest facet of my game. If you work with it a bit, it might surprise you.

Forehand approach is my bread and butter, arguably the strongest facet of my game. If you work with it a bit, it might surprise you.

I got away from driving forehand cuz it put a strain on my arm, especially the elbow. I never stopped throwing the occasional forehand approach shot though.

I got away from driving forehand cuz it put a strain on my arm, especially the elbow. I never stopped throwing the occasional forehand approach shot though.

Man, that is unfortunate. Is it something long-term? All you really need are short arm forehands from the elbow out to be effective for upshots anyways haha.

Man, that is unfortunate. Is it something long-term? All you really need are short arm forehands from the elbow out to be effective for upshots anyways haha.

It was awhile ago, when I was throwing forehand a lot more. It wasn't a huge problem, but my arm/elbow would always hurt afterwards. So, I decided to drop forehand and go almost exclusively backhand. Now it's just the occasional forehand approach where I need to turn a corner hard right or get a big skip.

I've tried that grip THUG. Just can't do it. I might as well take off my shoe and throw it instead, it would probably go farther.

It actually feels way more floppy when I hold it like that, sounds dumb, but it does.

Thumb on top, index underneath, the rest of my fingers on the edge of the rim for stabilization.
IMG_20160926_225610_zps7jkb7igp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My thoughts exactly. I feel like 1 finger is illogical but O just cant make it work another way.

It was awhile ago, when I was throwing forehand a lot more. It wasn't a huge problem, but my arm/elbow would always hurt afterwards. So, I decided to drop forehand and go almost exclusively backhand. Now it's just the occasional forehand approach where I need to turn a corner hard right or get a big skip.
Was your elbow hyperextending? Oddly enough, when I power up on a forehand, my shoulder is the joint that gets strained the most. Which is why I phased out high-angle anny forehands from my game altogether.

Was your elbow hyperextending? Oddly enough, when I power up on a forehand, my shoulder is the joint that gets strained the most. Which is why I phased out high-angle anny forehands from my game altogether.

No, my FH form was sound, finishing palm up, etc. Distance on drives was about 350'. I wouldn't feel arm/elbow pain while throwing, but almost always that night and the next day. I think it's just the sidearm motion, in my case anyway. And come to think of it, it wasn't just the elbow but the biceps and shoulder too, so probably rotator cuff related in addition to elbow.

Have your wrist checked, it may be dislocated.

MD0556_img_31.jpg

I'm talking about the range of motion on the left of the picture. It sounds like Thug was describing the range of motion on the right of the picture. Clearly the range on the left is greater than the range on the right. Do we disagree?

Latest posts