• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What weight and plastic for a beginner's Fuse?

LivesForever

Hi,
I've played a few rounds over the last several years, but never consistently, so I'll call myself a beginner. I recently got an Axiom practice basket for my back yard, which has me excited to play!

I am looking for a good beginner midrange for my wife and I. I've picked up a Z Buzzz, and I was thinking a Fuse would also be good to try. What weight and plastic would you recommend for a Fuse? I've seen Opto, Gold Line Ice, and Opto-X glimmers available in different weights recently.

Thanks for the help!

While I'm not the most experienced player...I have a "noodle arm" and find that I'm okay with heavy weight mid-ranges. But I prefer them in the 170-173 range. My Latitude 64 plastics are all Opto. But I highly suggest going to a disc golf store and handling the plastics to see what feels good to you.

Hey, thanks, that's helpful! I will keep it light, then. I can't seem to find any Latitude 64 discs nearby, so I'll just order and see, I guess.

Last edited:
I suggest test plastic and even better a used one that's beat in enough to flip flat when thrown with hyzer release. If you can't find that, try a DX stingray. For beginner noodle arms, everything seems so over stable in premium plastic, and the tendency is to develop a bad habit of releasing anhyzer. A flippy disc that will actually flip for a beginner is the best teacher.

Haha, so, maybe I'm being overly optimistic about those shiny new premium plastics? Would getting a beat up used fuse be better than new for a beginner? Or a baseline plastic one? Or should I just hold off and learn to throw my Buzzz for a while?

I am looking for a good beginner midrange for my wife and I. I've picked up a Z Buzzz, and I was thinking a Fuse would also be good to try. What weight and plastic would you recommend for a Fuse?

For a guy, 160-180g discs are typical, for a woman 130-150 are typical.

Middle of the road values tend to work well for many people. Keep in mind the lighter it is, the more it will turn over, perhaps too much.

I personally like fuses and typically have them as the same weight as my other discs (170ish) and I got one lighter before to turn more as a roller earlier on.

So you have a straight on disc (buzz), one with a bit of turn (opti), and I would also recommend one that fades like a Roc, for Lat64 I think it's a disc called Pain.

Whether you get a driver depends on your current distance tbh.

Thanks again for that info! I ended up getting a 171g Opto Fuse. It's pretty awesome! If I throw level it as hard as I can, it just goes and goes! I badly overshot a number of holes and ended up searching for my disc in gnarly gulch, haha.

Now, I don't always manage to throw it straight, but that's not a problem with the disc! I also found that throwing into the wind makes it launch waaaaaay into the sky, and then land about a mile left of my intended target. Also probably not a disc problem...

Now, I don't always manage to throw it straight, but that's not a problem with the disc! I also found that throwing into the wind makes it launch waaaaaay into the sky, and then land about a mile left of my intended target. Also probably not a disc problem...

Haha, hope you're enjoying it.

The way up into the sky sounds like possibly like a nose up problem typical amongst beginners although discs do that in general in response to headwind.

Latest posts