• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Whats the best Innova midrange for a beginner?

Must be getting slow around here. I'm pretty sure after almost 2 years the OP has figured something out by now.

That would require us to read AND pay attention to details....Really asking a lot there lol

Must be getting slow around here. I'm pretty sure after almost 2 years the OP has figured something out by now.

Yeah, he has quit playing by now! :doh:

The OP has not logged in here in a year and a half or so, since March of '13, :\.

To answer the original question...for no reason at all ( other than I love me some Cobras! ) the winner is DX Cobra of course!

Sorry if this is thread necro, but I came across this thread searching the subject of best midrange for beginners.

I'm also not sure that my contribution is super-useful, as it will largely echo what others have said, in many cases.

I started playing about 5 months ago, and have been playing a LOT since. My first midrange was a somewhat beat-up Roc in DX (about 172g if I remember correctly). My husband got a new Shark in DX, and i'm guessing it was low 170s for weight. They flew VERY similarly, and I think they were great choices. We pretty quickly got serious, and started trying other discs. I hated the first and only Buzzz I tried. It was not an OS, but still flew super overstable and had the glide of a brick. Tried and loved an EMAC Truth. Tried and liked a Tursas. I got a Roc in KC Pro to replace my quickly aging DX roc, and promptly threw it in a lake. Then I got another DX Roc. I still love them, and still feel I have the best finesse with them. I got a Mako3, which is DEAD straight if thrown dead straight, and is about the most unforgiving teacher I've ever had. I like it, but it is NOT a good first disc. I have a Champion Roc3 for my overstable mid, and while i hate to argue with X-time World Champ super-star Paul McBeth, he is DEAD wrong about a Roc3 being a good first disc. Mine is just short of being a meathook. It's in my bag as my OVERSTABLE mid.

I think a good answer is... if you have to buy new, the disc most likely to be widely available, and user-friendly, it's the DX Shark. I'm pretty sure Innova puts it in their starter packs for a reason.

Sorry if this is thread necro, but I came across this thread searching the subject of best midrange for beginners.

I'm also not sure that my contribution is super-useful, as it will largely echo what others have said, in many cases.

I think a good answer is... if you have to buy new, the disc most likely to be widely available, and user-friendly, it's the DX Shark. I'm pretty sure Innova puts it in their starter packs for a reason.

No such thing as a bad post when sharing one's experiences. Others can use the information as they will. (Or not.)

Agree that the Starter Pack mids are indeed good places to start. The Champion plastic Starter Pack has the Champion Panther, which is also a great mid.

Keep enjoying the game!

IMO encourage people to explore beyond their corner stores, and they'll be rewarded. I really feel that people can do much better than Innova mids these days, and they'll be happier in the near and long term for not ending their quest at the local big box sporting goods store (case in point : the Emac Truth you tried.)

As far as what disc to start with, there are two schools of thought.

First school says "Find something that works well enough. The better it works for you, the more fun you'll have and the more likely you are to eventually figure out what you're doing, and you'll fix all your bad habits eventually if you're super serial about it."

The second school says "Start with the most stable disc that shows high speed turn for you. This is where you really start to learn about form, angles, and disc golf, and anything more stable than that is masking your errors, and is not teaching you anything."

Both are valid and most advise a combined approach. Find something that works for now, and practice with something that shows your flaws but might be more frustrating to achieve consistency with on the course.

That in defense of Mako3 as a starter disc. I'd have a hard time not recommending that for most people. It is one of Innova's finest mids (but the Buzzz SS and Claymore are better...) :)

IMO encourage people to explore beyond their corner stores, and they'll be rewarded. I really feel that people can do much better than Innova mids these days, and they'll be happier in the near and long term for not ending their quest at the local big box sporting goods store (case in point : the Emac Truth you tried.)

As far as what disc to start with, there are two schools of thought.

First school says "Find something that works well enough. The better it works for you, the more fun you'll have and the more likely you are to eventually figure out what you're doing, and you'll fix all your bad habits eventually if you're super serial about it."

The second school says "Start with the most stable disc that shows high speed turn for you. This is where you really start to learn about form, angles, and disc golf, and anything more stable than that is masking your errors, and is not teaching you anything."

Both are valid and most advise a combined approach. Find something that works for now, and practice with something that shows your flaws but might be more frustrating to achieve consistency with on the course.

That in defense of Mako3 as a starter disc. I'd have a hard time not recommending that for most people. It is one of Innova's finest mids (but the Buzzz SS and Claymore are better...) :)

This is a quality post. LOTS of good info here. But you forgot the M4.

Buzzz SS, Mako3, M4. All VERY similar, all very good, all very comfortable and all very available.

To answer the OP question of which innova mid...yeah, It'd say Panther or Mako or DX Roc. whataever you like, all have a straight flight, from more understable to most stable in my opinion. Of course a cheaper plastic breaks in more and will become less OS as time wears on. To be different I'd say try a Champ Panther ;)

Depending on the ability of the "noob"

Really bad noob hyzer - Stingray

Naturally decent thrower - Mako

This is assuming the discs are new

DX Vroc.

-it can double as a short thrower or "rip it" mid
-stays stable for eons
-noobs love glide

I have a stack of DX proto Colts that I bought as XD replacements once they get beat in so all the noobs I take out get a Colt which is a great beginner disc and I get them beat in at no charge to me. It's a win-win situation all the way around.

Latest posts