• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whats the deal with Huk Lab's Super Star?

-if they sell at $30, they're worth $30. Why get mad? Unless you want one and don't want to pay the asking price. Seems pretty high to me, but I have to imagine they sell.

I'm probably dating myself a little bit, but whenever I see Huk's "tri-fly," I can't help but think of those little plastic inserts they have that let you play an old-school 45 on a more "modern" turntable. Check it:

Attachments

• 45 adapter.jpg
    45 adapter.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 15
  • huklab.jpg
    huklab.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 6
Just to be clear before this thread is completely derailed about manufacturing quality standards - I'm not asking about this plastic because I like silly looking tribal swirls, or paying a 100% markup on discs.

I'm asking about it because I liked the way the disc felt, I prefer my fresh drivers to be a tad more overstable, and because I was hoping I could find the same kind of discs without paying 35 dollars for them. I'm more interested in the plastic (which apparently goes by "champystar"), than I am the brand.

I've already found a few plain red ones for sale, so thank you the fellow who contributed to the actual discussion. :)

According to Jay (owner and designer of Huk Lab) these discs are what happens in a run as they're switching from champion to star plastic while producing a run of a certain mold. He said he searches through the factory for them when he has a chance to visit Innova.

That makes a bunch of sense. I wonder if Innova has some other wacky plastic plends like DX pro lying around. Or maybe they pass them off as normal discs. It would be cool to have some of those.

Saw a red ChampyStar Mako at Dick's a while back - super grippy and flexy. I'd have bought it if I threw Makos.

Yeah I concur with what the other guy said. "Champystar" discs occur when they switch from champion mix to star mix or vice versa.

At least that's my understanding and it makes sense.

I don't own any Huk Lab discs because I don't really care about stamps. However, I don't see how paying for artwork on your disc makes you a tool. Plenty of people pay extra for tournament stamps, Skullboy stamps, and Zam stamps. Furthermore, I regularly pay more for a Nike branded shirt than I would for say a Russell branded shirt. Does that make me a tool?

The stamps are stencil dyed with a plotter. They have no press for the design.

I want to see avery get a tattoo of this maybe it would help his game

Latest posts