• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whats the deal with Huk Lab's Super Star?

krevo

Ive heard its a mix of Champ and Star or Pro and Star. Its more tacky and flexible than Star, but doesnt seem as sturdy as Champion. Any idea?

You sure its not a 5 legged chair or a new fancy tribal star thingy. Since when do they make discs?

Found it on the internet.

Just new marketing for the red champy-star discs you see once in a while, like the Ontario Rocs you see DGV stamping up from time to time.

Nothing new apart from the new name pulled from thin air.

Found it on the internet.

Just new marketing for the red champy-star discs you see once in a while, like the Ontario Rocs you see DGV stamping up from time to time.

Nothing new apart from the new name pulled from thin air.

So I'm guessing you've handled one before?

They actually outright state on their website that it's a blend of Star and Champ. It's star, but if you hold it up to light it's translucent. Think something like stained glass. Although it looks opaque like normal star plastic from afar.

It's also incredibly grippy feeling, almost a mix between Innova's Pro and Star. What I'm trying to find out is why Innova is doing rare plastic runs for Huk Lab (and apparently, only Huk Lab)

Star is already a mix of pro and champ, so I think the ones you're talking about just have a different blend and huk lab is using that as an excuse to charge more for them.

A friend of mine got one at a tourney direct from Huk Lab. I compared it to my star understamped Xcals that are similarly flat and the same shade of dark red. I understand they're taking advantage of a unique run of plastic and charging out the nose for it. I'm just wondering if Dave or anyone has ever clarified what "Super Star" is as far as the blend.

I want to find one without the Huk Lab dye job on it. Is it just commonly referred to as "slightly translucent star plastic?"

Champystar is the name for it. Not an official name, but that's the most common term. There's a lot of this plastic, my guess is the Lab just slapped a cool marketing name on it.

Champystar is the name for it. Not an official name, but that's the most common term. There's a lot of this plastic, my guess is the Lab just slapped a cool marketing name on it.

Awesome. Thanks.

Huk Lab is probably my most hated brand. They charge twice as much for doing almost nothing, I dont like company's that blatantly up charge just so they can make a quick buck. For me if your product validates the up charge, its worth it. But doubling the price of a disc because it has a cheesy tribal sticker on it!? Ludicrous. Also taking something that has already been produced and putting your name on it, doesnt make it worth double. They are scumbags, and if im totally wrong about them, they need a new marketing person over there.

^^^My DGR bud and I were talking about this on the way to Dabney yesterday. They wanted $30 for a tribal-stamped Star Destroyer.
The only thing I have by them is a stash mini---which, of course, was Made in China. :\

They actually outright state on their website that it's a blend of Star and Champ. It's star, but if you hold it up to light it's translucent. Think something like stained glass. Although it looks opaque like normal star plastic from afar.

It's also incredibly grippy feeling, almost a mix between Innova's Pro and Star. What I'm trying to find out is why Innova is doing rare plastic runs for Huk Lab (and apparently, only Huk Lab)

According to Jay (owner and designer of Huk Lab) these discs are what happens in a run as they're switching from champion to star plastic while producing a run of a certain mold. He said he searches through the factory for them when he has a chance to visit Innova.

The quoted description is right on. If you value that feel and the slightly added stability pay the price. If not then save your money and buy a regular production disc.

lol huk lab, tools who pay 30$ for a silly tribal stamp are idiots.

I don't own any Huk Lab discs because I don't really care about stamps. However, I don't see how paying for artwork on your disc makes you a tool. Plenty of people pay extra for tournament stamps, Skullboy stamps, and Zam stamps. Furthermore, I regularly pay more for a Nike branded shirt than I would for say a Russell branded shirt. Does that make me a tool?

Huk Lab is probably my most hated brand. They charge twice as much for doing almost nothing, I dont like company's that blatantly up charge just so they can make a quick buck. For me if your product validates the up charge, its worth it. But doubling the price of a disc because it has a cheesy tribal sticker on it!? Ludicrous. Also taking something that has already been produced and putting your name on it, doesnt make it worth double. They are scumbags, and if im totally wrong about them, they need a new marketing person over there.

Mine too. They screwed me on the RC3 proto release. I pre ordered and the website and email said they would be in touch for weight/color preference. No email and four days later I get a lightweight common color protostar. I was pissed. I contacted Jay and he said sorry, I've got some big birds coming, if you want one send yours back and some PayPal with it. I paid 24.95 and he wanted $36 for the big birds. I told him that I was on the losing end of that deal. So I compromised and asked if he would just trade me for a lighter weight big bird. He said he couldn't do that! Jay told me he would look around and see if he could find one to trade me. I'm not holding my breath. Huk Lab is all about money. Remember that customer service isn't a concern once they have your money.

Last edited:
I don't own any Huk Lab discs because I don't really care about stamps. However, I don't see how paying for artwork on your disc makes you a tool. Plenty of people pay extra for tournament stamps, Skullboy stamps, and Zam stamps. Furthermore, I regularly pay more for a Nike branded shirt than I would for say a Russell branded shirt. Does that make me a tool?

I agree, artwork and tourney stamps I have no problem with and i actually like and have a few. Nike and Russell are very far apart on quality and Nike shows it. The huk lab stamps are just cheesy and not that interesting and dont make your disc better. All im saying is that stamp shouldnt make a disc that would normally cost 15/16, cost 30 or more.

Nike and Russell are a lot closer in quality than you think. A lot of Nike's standard shirts, shorts, etc. are made in the same factories as Russell but a different logo is sowed/printed on. The on difference is that Nike's branding is so strong because of how they market their high end products that consumers assume the rest of their products are superior. But that's a whole other discussion.

I also don't care to pay double for any stamp because I don't place value in it. But I don't see it as any different than paying extra for a DD stamp on another companies disc, a DD bag instead of an Ogio or even Cabella's bag. Or a DD or Westside disc instead of a Latitude disc. In all of those situations the final seller didn't manufacture the product, but they changed something to make it their own and add perceived value to the consumer. Whether it's artwork, features, a different mold or just branding. It's up to you to decide what changes you value, but calling someone a tool because they value something different than you is as dumb as calling someone a tool because they value differ music, cars, sports teams, etc. It's mostly just opinion.