• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] What's your favorite lid?

Sorry for my ignorance here but what exactly makes a disc a lid?
Lids are like the slowest of the slow, they have that in common, generally b/c of the absence of a bevel. You don't see beveled or rounded edges on jar lids, hence the name. Old timers will scoff and say that only superclass, wide diameter lids are the one true lids but that's just because they preceded golf discs and lid shaped golf discs. That's really annoying b/c Rattlers, Sonics, and Polecats fly a lot more like Zephyrs and Ultrastars than they do Aviars, Rocs, or Teebirds. But some guy in nuthugger shorts and a tie dye shirt couldn't play catch with a Polecat on UC Berkely's quad back in '72 so it can't be called a lid. :rolleyes:
Have you felt it recently? I'm only going from a sample size of two right now (and some Jawbreaker but that's another story) but they both feel just fine to me after reaching 8/10 Sleepy. Granted, the 175 didn't feel amazing when new, but now that it's banged up just a bit it feels more than adequate...the 160 one felt amazing from the start.
No, do they have JB Rattlers? That'd be nice.

Lids are like the slowest of the slow, they have that in common, generally b/c of the absence of a bevel. You don't see beveled or rounded edges on jar lids, hence the name. Old timers will scoff and say that only superclass, wide diameter lids are the one true lids but that's just because they preceded golf discs and lid shaped golf discs. That's really annoying b/c Rattlers, Sonics, and Polecats fly a lot more like Zephyrs and Ultrastars than they do Aviars, Rocs, or Teebirds. But some guy in nuthugger shorts and a tie dye shirt couldn't play catch with a Polecat on UC Berkely's quad back in '72 so it can't be called a lid. :rolleyes:

No, do they have JB Rattlers? That'd be nice.

Ok, so my Wham-O's are all lids. Anything that's got a nice big shoulder and flies slow, neutral/understable like that is a lid.

Kite?

Glideless lid = Gopher

I think he meant even if it doesn't glide like a Kite it still has a floatyness to it? Clearly they are not a lid like disc golf disc.

I like reading all these lid threads. They never clicked with me and I'll probably never bag one. Still cool though

Ok, so my Wham-O's are all lids. Anything that's got a nice big shoulder and flies slow, neutral/understable like that is a lid.

True, unless your Wham-O's are the 44, 77, 78 or 91 molds.....

(I think those are the beveled edge discs...)

True, unless your Wham-O's are the 44, 77, 78 or 91 molds.....

(I think those are the beveled edge discs...)

I see. Not sure about the numbers they're ultimate discs and Malibu flyers. No bevels.i feel like my Dagger is pushing lid categorization, very blunt.

I've been known to bag the Zephyr. Typically, I like the max weight ones (200g) for warm-ups prior to a round. They are great for catch but as they are PDGA approved, Zephyrs are great approach discs: No turn or fade and easy to shape mellow lines with.

Thundermuffin was right, just meant even flat or concave lid-like discs have a certain hover to them that no Magic or Magnet or Roc could ever emulate. They have that, "I can have a catch with this" flight to them.

Thundermuffin was right, just meant even flat or concave lid-like discs have a certain hover to them that no Magic or Magnet or Roc could ever emulate. They have that, "I can have a catch with this" flight to them.

Just like a Comet.

I actually had a chance to pick up a birdie polecst and rattler the other day and I must say I think I'll be buying one of these probably the rattler, I feel like I could have some nice approach shots with something like that

Polecat for me for disc golf. I like big lids but they are too awkward to carry in a disc golf bag IMO and I can't putt with them. The Ultrastar is by far the disc I throw the most. I like the Polecat because for me it is most comfortable, decently stable and I like DX plastic.

The Rattler was a little odd for me in my hand. The Claws base plastic was junk. The Sonic is fun but I don't find it as versatile as the Polecat and it seems more fragile. The Upshot I found to be between the Polecat and Sonic in terms of stability which is nice but I ended up back at the Polecat. Probably my second favorite in terms of disc golf sized lids. I didn't care for the Birdie due to the lack of glide.

I really need to try out the Beetle, Dragon line Claws, Bite and Doggie Style. Also I want a Gopher really bad.

If you didn't like the Birdie, chances are good you won't like a Gopher either. Not in heavier weights anyway.

If you didn't like the Birdie, chances are good you won't like a Gopher either. Not in heavier weights anyway.
Honestly even if I didn't like throwing the Gopher, I still want one because it has pretty much the best stamp ever

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

That it does!

I practically stole this lightweight beauty on eBay for my wall.
12291617252_zpsjl9txsy3.jpg