• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What's your favorite neutral, workable, "do it all" midrange?

My wife bags a Piwakawaka and has several in each plastic. I've thrown hers a fair amount and although it's an awesome disc I wouldn't describe it as neutral or a "do all" mid. It is a very flippy disc and even powered down on a good amount of hyzer it stands up and turns right.

I would say it's an excellent understable mid when you need an understable mid.

Even though I haven't had a ton of time with it (as it's newish to me), the Axiom Hex is already one of my favorite Discs ever. Not just a workable, neutral, do it all Midrange. It's unreal how good this disc is, how neutral it is, how workable it is, and how well it flies. As well as feels amazing in the hand. It's thin, has a board flat top (so you can FH it super well), and the Neutron plastic is always some of the best on the market. Grip, feel, release, clean smooth lines everywhere! And the Gyro tech just seems to work it's magic much more so for putters and mids.

The only disc I've ever thrown that goes this straight, with such ease, every time is a River. But the Hex is better.

It feels and throws like a mid, but it's distance is closer to a 6/7 speed FW! And you wanna talk about neutral and good in any conditions. The first time I took it out after getting it, I was throwing into a strong head crosswind. Mostly headwind, but also diagonal right to left. And every single time I threw the Hex, it just went dead straight, or ended up dead straight overall. The wind did nothing to it! Almost all my other discs were acting funny in the weird head/diagonal wind, but not the Hex.

And it's proven to be the same on the course the few times I've played with it so far. I've got 3 rds and a really good practice session with it so far, and it's beyond good. I'm already thinking it might be my favorite disc I've ever thrown. But still need to use it and play with it a lot more till I can say that conclusively.

Mine is Neutron 176g, and it flies two ways. 1. Dead straight the whole way or 2. With a 2-5' slow leak right, then a 2-5' slow leak back left, to end up dead straight. And SO easy to get really good distance with it. Like I said, it goes as far as my 6/7 speed FW's, but with more control and WAY straighter. I've also thrown it on some hyzer and anhyzer lines and it's a thing of beauty. Can't say enough amazing things about it so far :thmbup:

RPM Piwakawaka.

Picked one of these up on a whim last year. Amazing discs. Very workable, comfortable, powers down well and can take power. Very controllable with amazing glide. It kicked Comets and beat Rocs out of my bag.

Too understable to be workable I'd say. It's quite flippy and it's not good in the wind. I can't even power grip a Piwa because of how shallow it is. Not saying it's a bad disc at all. It has much to teach me.

Last edited:
Too understable to be workable I'd say. It's quite flippy and it's not good in the wind. I can't even power grip a Piwa because of how shallow it is. Not saying it's a bad disc at all. It has much to teach me.

Depends on the plastic and your arm speed. If you have a big arm, it's a finesse disc. But, I throw them in the 280-300 range and can work a lot of lines with them in the woods.

To each there own, but I'm more of a finesse player and the Piwak fills the roll of neutral and workable for me.

For me it's the discmania neo origin. Can handle any line I ask of it mostly left to right turning shots I need to pan out. Hyperspace well too and full on power it's a laser beam for my throw. The glide is insane so it doesn't need a ton of power to hit my intended lines.

I'm liking all the options and reasons that are being posted as to why a specific disc is the "go-to" mid range.

I've tried the Discraft Buzzz, DGA Rift, Kastaplast Svea, and currently bag an Innova Star Mako3. I'm still trying to find that one mid range that if I could only carry one putter, one mid range, and one driver...what would be that mid range.

Like zendragon, I keep an Envy in my bag as that disc seems to fit every spot (putter, mid, driver), but I rarely use it. I throw it when nothing else seems to work.

I might have to add a Hex to the list of discs to try.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've tried a Buzzz, Emac Truth, Rift, Hex, Mako3, Reactor, Compass and various Rocs/Roc3s, VCobra, King Cobra and while they were all good discs I didn't really fall in love with any of them.

Sounds like it's a me problem but surely there's that special midrange out there somewhere…

Usually I use a JB Zone for the ``do it all'' midrange work, but if I have to pick a real midrange I say DX Roc3.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've tried a Buzzz, Emac Truth, Rift, Hex, Mako3, Reactor, Compass and various Rocs/Roc3s, VCobra, King Cobra and while they were all good discs I didn't really fall in love with any of them.

Sounds like it's a me problem but surely there's that special midrange out there somewhere…

You missed the Comet and the tursas... I guess it depends on what you can throw. And how. I really like the tursas, it has the hss of a esp comet and a crazy late fade so it doesn't fall of the line.

One disc rounds: comet, scorpion, uplink, hex, envy, ohm.

Trying to pack a 3 disc combo is weird, many people go for 3 discs that suit their throw, but you are better of to vary your stability. No sense having a bag of flippy or OS stuff. If your putter is an envy an understable mid is a must...

A 3 year bag seasoned 4x stamped 'no claw' 171 ESP Buzzz.
The disc is magic and so fiery red it's impossible to lose (a very underrated side of any disc choice).
It sits between a Prodigy A2 and a Kastaplast Svea in my bag, but it sees most of the mid work and a lot of one disc casual rounds.
It's a special disc for sure. So workable.

Same same for me gotta go DX Roc (barely there dome for extra points). Carry 2 at all times; one hella old and 1 newer.

You missed the Comet and the tursas... I guess it depends on what you can throw. And how. I really like the tursas, it has the hss of a esp comet and a crazy late fade so it doesn't fall of the line.

I really like the Comet and I bag a 171 Z Glo but it's a little too understandable to be a "do it all" mold for me. I had a Tursas and thought it was pretty good but I liked the Comet better for that slot.

This thread inspired to me order up a couple Claymores so we'll see if maybe that fits the bill for me.

I really like the Comet and I bag a 171 Z Glo but it's a little too understandable to be a "do it all" mold for me. I had a Tursas and thought it was pretty good but I liked the Comet better for that slot.

This thread inspired to me order up a couple Claymores so we'll see if maybe that fits the bill for me.

Nice! I liked the tursas because it always hooked up late for a touch of fade. It also took a little more juice but was a touch faster, it was a fun fling, still got it, hit two aces in league the night I bought it haha. So it stuck around for awhile.

The comet cuts a much cleaner line. 171g (esp) is the low end of my comet stash, like my winter throwers, as I get better and it gets warmer I usually throw 176g comets, esp or Z. My 174 Z glo is notably less stable but I've also had it a long time. I prefer a heavy one for 1 disc rounds so I can FH it better

I'm guessing you tried a heavier one?

Last edited:
Nice! I liked the tursas because it always hooked up late for a touch of fade. It also took a little more juice but was a touch faster, it was a fun fling, still got it, hit two aces in league the night I bought it haha. So it stuck around for awhile.

The comet cuts a much cleaner line. 171g (esp) is the low end of my comet stash, like my winter throwers, as I get better and it gets warmer I usually throw 176g comets, esp or Z. My 174 Z glo is notably less stable but I've also had it a long time. I prefer a heavy one for 1 disc rounds so I can FH it better

I'm guessing you tried a heavier one?

I've only thrown my Z Glo and it's about a year and a half old. I really should have get one of the heavier MJ tour Series for more stability. I usually default to the Z Glo in the woods but the courses near me are mostly open and can get kinda breezy.

new blue c-line MD3. Been biased since I sunk one during league night 200' out after hitting 3rd available tree. Called out "Watch This" right before and the whole card was watching.

I've only thrown my Z Glo and it's about a year and a half old. I really should have get one of the heavier MJ tour Series for more stability. I usually default to the Z Glo in the woods but the courses near me are mostly open and can get kinda breezy.

Haha yup darn wind. Well if you like it a backup is never a bad investment. Those MJ's are nice, the sparkle Z is very similar to how I remember my glow one starting out. I notice the difference every 2-3g I add to a comet, I don't throw many over 176g. A high dome Z is generally the most stable in my bag and they break in for huge glide.

Personally I like pairing my Comet with a light Hex. Better wind resistance and massive FH ability... but I see you tried them. Hex goes in and out of my bag on account of the envy (x3 :D), it's redundant 70 percent of the time. The Comet or Uplink is a better pairing for me, I also play woods golf with low wind.

Hard to have a "neutral" do it all mid. The Hex is pretty good at doing it all though. BH/FH/putting its a solid one disc round winner in my bag. More straight/stable than neutral though.

Last edited:

Latest posts