• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] When is it time to rotate out my putting putters

I say make your discs work for you, not the other way around. If you feel like your putting putter is not cutting the mustard any more because it's too beat up, get one that does, or switch molds, whatever. No need to be sentimental about it.

That being said, if you emulate numerous pros and take the advice of many by not throwing your putting putters, you will likely find that they only get better over the course of tens or hundreds of rounds. I guess if you already putt with an understable, glidey putter, you may find that they could get worse in the wind, but in that case I would keep your old one around for jump putts and cycle in a freshie.

Yes I learned this in 2007 when Then Innova Player Ken Tank Franks was playing in the South Dakota State tournament. He had a different disc a Champion Rhyno for his driving putter and then I forget what his Putter was I think an old soft Ryhno or the DX Ryhno left in his car for a while and he softened his disc to the Soft Ryhno but in sharpie carefully writing the soft as if it were a soft on the disc anyhow. He wished at the time that Innova had a disc like the Rhyno in stability but without the thumbtrack in the durable plastics. He also wished the impossible a more neutral flight of the Rhyno with similar shape maybe a normal bead instead of the bigger bead the Rhyno has is all he would Allow to change.

At one point I had only one disc a putter and that was bad. The putter never changed as much as it should as Rubber Putters are different with the way they absorb impact on objects.

Yes I learned this in 2007 when Then Innova Player Ken Tank Franks was playing in the South Dakota State tournament. He had a different disc a Champion Rhyno for his driving putter and then I forget what his Putter was I think an old soft Ryhno or the DX Ryhno left in his car for a while and he softened his disc to the Soft Ryhno but in sharpie carefully writing the soft as if it were a soft on the disc anyhow. He wished at the time that Innova had a disc like the Rhyno in stability but without the thumbtrack in the durable plastics. He also wished the impossible a more neutral flight of the Rhyno with similar shape maybe a normal bead instead of the bigger bead the Rhyno has is all he would Allow to change.

At one point I had only one disc a putter and that was bad. The putter never changed as much as it should as Rubber Putters are different with the way they absorb impact on objects.

That's funny, I always wanted the flight of an aviar PnA (or the like) with the same feel as a rhyno. I understand Franks' frustration. :doh:

I say make your discs work for you, not the other way around. If you feel like your putting putter is not cutting the mustard any more because it's too beat up, get one that does, or switch molds, whatever. No need to be sentimental about it.

That being said, if you emulate numerous pros and take the advice of many by not throwing your putting putters, you will likely find that they only get better over the course of tens or hundreds of rounds. I guess if you already putt with an understable, glidey putter, you may find that they could get worse in the wind, but in that case I would keep your old one around for jump putts and cycle in a freshie.

I have the longer of my two putting Jawbraker Magnet putters. One is more beat in to fly straighter longer, is labeled approach putter on the top of the disc for long putts and for hazard putts; then the other Magnet is for putting labeled putter for putting both are 173-174 grams and have a Sharpie drawn ring on them like the stamp ring of the Hard Pro D Magnets I used before August 2017 to help with thumb placement. I hit a tree with a softer hard Pro D Magnet 2006 and later model and warped the disc bad. I still have the Hard stiff pre 2005 Magnet from 2004 in my bag, the last year they made only the stiff models in my bag and for years that was my only putting putter and was my brothers for a month before he stopped using and found a better putter the DX Gator beat to fly straight and a newer one for long stuff. Now He has 2 DX Stud at 173 grams simply because his old putter was about one hit off the basket miss from breaking. So as you can see My brother and I are big fans of the keep the putter a long time until it dies or needs replacing. I was thinking about replacing the softer hard Pro D Magnet of mine with another disc possibly the Jawbraker or a new hard Pro D Magnet as that softer hard Pro D Magnet was getting to almost the softness of a bran new Soft Pro D Magnet. I do not like a soft plastic if the disc is not grippy/tacky feel in the hands, Jawbraker is the right kind of plastic for me.

Latest posts