• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where to play in Austin Tx

Mma17

Hey guys, I'll be down in Austin for a few days with some friends and am curious what the must play courses are? If it's anything under an hour drive that would be fine. Thanks for the replies!

Bible Ridge (Austin Ridge Bible Church), Circle C, Manor East Metro if you don't mind nasty rough. Searight is the "classic" Austin course but I highly recommend playing before 9 a.m. with as small of a group as possible. Roy G is a championship caliber course but kind of boring, IMO. Some people like Met Center, but I think it is boring and has two of the worst water holes ever- there is a pond just behind the basket that you are throwing up to, so huge change of losing a disc without even getting to throw OVER the water, and you usually won't see where the disc went in.

I also just played the Flying Armadillo short course in San Marcos. This is pretty much putt-putt (mini-golf) mixed with disc golf and is an absolute blast. There is a full size course on the property too but we didn't play it that day. My friend who has played it says it is pretty good.

I would say Slaughter Creek - aka "CC" park is a must play for you. I'm kinda biased bc I play there 5x a week but it is a really solid, challenging, and decently shaded course. I can't speak for many courses North of the river but other than CC I think Bible Ridge is also very much worth playing. I would skip playing Searight because it is in the reverse layout right now and not worth the crowds.

Navigation tip if you play CC - after hole 12 follow the path to the left of the basket and cross the rocks over the creek to reach the trail to hole 13.

Have fun!

I'll throw northtown into the mix as it is a challenging course as well. I'm not sure if your staying north or south but the north courses to try are Rivery, Wilco, Northtown, Cat Hollow, Wells Branch. I remember having a day off and playing Wilco then Wells Branch getting some grub and finishing up the day at NorthTown.

South courses I enjoy are Roy G (can be very overygrown and make your round longer as you're looking for discs), Mary Moore Searight (Busy, busy, busy) and Circle C (long and can be a little confusing to find the next hole if you have not played it). Met Center has a few challenging holes but nothing that really stands out for me.

Here are some of the minis if you decide you want to avoid those groups.

***** WEEKLY MINI SCHEDULE *****
(ALL LISTINGS ARE FOR ACTUAL TEE TIMES, PLEASE SHOW UP EARLY TO SIGNUP)
. . . . . .
MONDAY
Zilker Park @ 6:00-6:30 Flex
$10 Open, $7 Ams, Acepot included
TD = Andre Pesez (Working People's Mini)
. . . . . .
TUESDAY
Boggy Creek @ 5:30PM this will start back up March 10th Cancelled due to daylight savings.
$10 Payout/Acepot/Club (Random Doubles)
TD = Justin Davis (Pease Park Social Club)

Cat Hollow Mini : Jeff Cooper
start time of 5:30. As always Open $10 and AMs $7. This is a Disc Movement qualifier.

Red Shed Tavern @ 6:30-9:30PM
$6 Entry (Putting League)
TD = Andy Escalante (Bat City Bombers)
. . . . . .
WEDNESDAY
Mary Moore Searight @ All Day Flex
$5 Open/Am, $5 Optional Acepot
TD = Michael Schulgen

Old Settlers Park @ 5:00
$5 Entry (format varies)
TD = Chris Ware (Double R)
meet pavillion by north course hole # 13
. . . . . .
THURSDAY
Williamson County Park @ 5:15PM
$8 Entry, Acepot included
TD = Brandon Elder, Michael Dudgeon (Double R)

Zilker Park @ 5:00-6:00PM Flex
$20 One-time Entry, $5 One-time Optional Acepot
10-Week League, multiple divisions, your top 5 scores are your "average"
Starts 6/9/16 last week to join is 7/14/16
TD = Michael Schulgen (Waterloo)

FRIDAY
Mary Moore Searight random Doubles draw @ 4:45
$5 Entry, $5 Optional Acepot (Random Doubles)
ace pot carries over if not hit
TD = Pat Smith

Wells Branch @ 5:30PM
$5 Entry, $2 Optional Acepot
TD = Brian Litke (WBDGC)
. . . . . .
SATURDAY
Rotating Course @ 9:00AM
$2 Acepot/CTP
TD = Dr. Steve (Early Birds)

Bartholomew @ 10:00AM
$10 Open, $5 Am, $2 Optional Acepot
TD = Mark Stevens (Waterloo)

Steeplechase @ 10:00AM
$5 open/am $1 (optional) ace pot
TD = Kevin "KB" Ballew (KDGC)
. . . . . .
SUNDAY
Rotating Course @ 9:00AM
$5 Acepot/CTP/Club, $5 Optional Hot Round
Optional 10-Week Leagues, 2 divisions
TD = Matthew Carson (512 Flight Club)

North Town @ 9:00AM
$10 Entry, Acepot included (Random Doubles)
TD = Mark Contreras (North Town Social Club)

Wells Branch @ 10:00AM
$10 Entry, $6 to payout and $4 to ace pot (Random Doubles)
TD = Brian Litke (WBDGC)

Steeplechase @ 2:00PM
$5 open/am $5 ace pot (BYOP Doubles)
TD = Kevin "KB" Ballew (KDGC)

Rotating Course @ 4:30PM
$8 Open, $5 Am, Acepot/HotRound/Club
TD = Andy Escalante (Bat City Bombers)

Awesome guys thank you so much for the input! Looks like My buddy is for sure making me play searight and I'm gonna shoot for roy g or circle c as well. Appreciate all the help!