• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which one disc would you recommend for beginners (opinions needed)

depends on the existing athleticism of the new player...

All Purpose: Skeeter (great glide, putts well, very user friendly, it feels natural in your hand *as opposed to a roc...)

Semi-Advanced Sports Person: Valkyrie (I only say this because the learning curve for them to throw distance could be very short.... as a result, if they can throw 200-250' with a valk, the rest of the game is fun and the loss by using a valk as a putter/approach/etc is minimized by their amazement that the disc can go so far by their own accord.... then you pull out one of your spare putters and let them borrow it for the day.)

Baseball/Softball Player: Banshee, predator.. (something overstable)... if a person has a baseball background, the forehand will be natural and very easy for them to pick up. Most guys i teach it to, get it within 5-10 throws.... Instant gratification and distance will hook these guys.

in all cases, be very cautious of the disc weight and keep it in the 160-170 range (or less for youth and women).

Rocs and buzzzs r too stable for beginners, try a Comet, Shark, or Mako

I think a putter is the way to go here also. Rocs and some mids can be too much for many beginners and even Stingrays and Coyotes are overkill on most pitch and putts which is where I'd take beginners. And, chances are, you'll already have a bunch of cheap putters laying around for them and if you don't, here's your chance to get some potential backups of your favorite putter for putting practice.

DX Aviar. You can find them at any store. If they don't continue playing, you don't feel bad either if you don't get that disc back.

Whenever an aviar falls in my lap, it's the first thing I toss someone. Especially the guys that buy 1 driver and go discing.

Champion Panther, the domey new runs are very neutral so they can be made to fly on any line. They also get a lot of distance and are easy to throw. Plus the small diameter would make it better for putting imo.

Champion Panther, the domey new runs are very neutral so they can be made to fly on any line. They also get a lot of distance and are easy to throw. Plus the small diameter would make it better for putting imo.

Something that will teach good form like a Leopard or Panther. They way they don't have to go through the horrid technique repair if they ever get serious.

Or get them a Cobra so they could learn that and become one of those crazy cobra throwers.

Yup, yup, and yup. There's probably another "yup" in there, but I'm in a hurry.

I am new to the sport as well and I have been using a dx Shark and Aviar P&A
However the girlfriend just got the skeeter in the mail today (havent tried yet)

The shark and aviar have been treating me alright

Like I said if you are looking for 5 or 6 I will sell you Cobras at $5 a pop.

Rocs and buzzzs r too stable for beginners, try a Comet, Shark, or Mako

I really don't think a Buzzz would be considered "too stable" for a beginner thrower. Its a disc that can be used for drives and mid-range with reliability and also give a newbie a good feel for what a golf disc will typically fly like BH.

Latest posts