• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who all should talk a penalty here, if anyone?

This is why I don't think TD's should play in their own tournaments. If Nikko wants to TD those winter events then just TD. Seems there could easily be a conflict of interest. Like not stroking yourself as the TD when you do not putt out from your lie.

Again... B-tier or not... I think this is just a product of the atmosphere Nikko as a TD has cultivated with his series of local events.

wow, that's a stretch!

norcal has been norcal since long before nikko was there. and for that matter, it's not just norcal. believe it or not, like it or not, the vast majority of players don't take the rules very seriously. not saying that's good or bad, just saying.

just like the vast majority of players don't play tournaments, don't care about touring pros, won't ever throw 400', and just want to enjoy themselves on the course.

Well, then Nikko's a self-serving POS---not surprising, as I've seen his [and other pros] actions/attitudes at A-tier events before. Won't be long and it'll be like politics---elitist a-holes will drive most of us away from caring about public acceptance/notoriety of dg.

Except for fanbois. They love abuse.
That escalated quickly.

To note. I'm not defending the behavior one bit. Just trying to observe what would lead to such behavior happening in a tournament situation.

EXACTLY.....I call BS on that kinda stuff for sure. ESPECIALLY BECAUSE ITS AN OFFICIAL EVENT. If there is any $ involved, you BETTER follow the GD rules :hfive:

Well, the next time you're on the open lead card and this happens you can call them on it. Until then cary on complaining that ulibarri foot faults.

They would actually be DQ'd for failure to complete a hole.

Not true. If we want to get technical about it, intentionally failing to hole out constitutes withdrawal from the event (803.03 G 3), which is not the same as being disqualified.

The decision that would need to be made by the TD (assuming for a second that he isn't one of the players involved) is whether this was an isolated incident that can be excused as unintentional and dealt with by assessing penalty throws or if it was done with intent and deserves to be considered a withdrawal. It can be a tough call when it's one player picking up for others and those players letting him do it without necessarily asking for him to do it.

I've been in the spot of being the player being picked up for, and I've objected and insisted on putting my drop in out as required by the rule book and in the process, I've upset the player picking me up (which still baffles me to no end). Had one guy call me a "****ing boy scout" in the moment and then after the round I overheard him calling me an a-hole while complaining about the incident to the TD.

To me, it's a matter of integrity. I can't enforce the rules on others if I'm not following them all myself.

I've been in the spot of being the player being picked up for, and I've objected and insisted on putting my drop in out as required by the rule book and in the process, I've upset the player picking me up (which still baffles me to no end). Had one guy call me a "****ing boy scout" in the moment and then after the round I overheard him calling me an a-hole while complaining about the incident to the TD.
To me, it's a matter of integrity. I can't enforce the rules on others if I'm not following them all myself.

I'm not surprised to hear this. I've been a chess tournament director for 25 years, and when I think I've seen it all... I see something new. I remember one time when a high level player was boiling mad after the last round of a tournament, after he had just won his game. When I asked what the problem was, he was complaining bitterly that his much-lower-rated opponent had not given him a harder game! I said "But you won the game, what's the problem?" and he just kept ranting about how his opponent could've made this better move and that better move. I really didn't understand his anger.

I've also seen chess players called out for rules violations react very bitterly and hold grudges for months and even years. This guy calling you a "boy scout" for following the rules is a big-time loser whom I would not trust nor hire for a job, but I'd be willing to bet he'll hold that grudge for a long, long time.

These sons of bitches need to be lynched at the first hole as a warning to all those that don't self-officiate by the rule to the very last letter. :|

I watched that video last night, earlier in the round, Jere picks up his putter for a tap in putt, doesnt use a mini, just picks up his putter from next to the basket and drops it in.

Again... B-tier or not... I think this is just a product of the atmosphere Nikko as a TD has cultivated with his series of local events.

I am just quoting this cause it hits the nail on the head.

I could add to it.... but i wont as i am not a Nikko fan so I'll just stop there.

It's a weird thing within disc golf. I get casual play, things are quite lax. But we get people playing tournaments who not only don't play by the rules but don't even give a rat's ass what they are. It's a staggering phenomenon.

I like black and white rules enforcement just as much as the next bitter old dude with nothing better to complain about, but christ guys, lighten the up. If you don't want a relaxed vibe, don't play in Nikko's winter series. Better yet, stay off the course altogether so those of us trying to have fun can do so. Or go back to ball golf.

It's one thing if someone picks up a 15-footer on the penultimate hole of a close USDGC final and calls it a drop-in, but this was not that. Slippery slope and yadda yadda, blah blah blah, can't grow the sport unless everyone calls everything, blah blah blah. I am one of the people who could care less if the sport grows beyond what we have now, so my opinion is clearly biased, but the "rules nazi" approach is going to keep just as many throwers from moving from casual to competitive.

Keep having fun, Nikko, and keep ignoring the haters that can't take a little personality with their competition.

I like black and white rules enforcement just as much as the next bitter old dude with nothing better to complain about, but christ guys, lighten the up. If you don't want a relaxed vibe, don't play in Nikko's winter series. Better yet, stay off the course altogether so those of us trying to have fun can do so. Or go back to ball golf.

It's one thing if someone picks up a 15-footer on the penultimate hole of a close USDGC final and calls it a drop-in, but this was not that. Slippery slope and yadda yadda, blah blah blah, can't grow the sport unless everyone calls everything, blah blah blah. I am one of the people who could care less if the sport grows beyond what we have now, so my opinion is clearly biased, but the "rules nazi" approach is going to keep just as many throwers from moving from casual to competitive.

Keep having fun, Nikko, and keep ignoring the haters that can't take a little personality with their competition.

Yeah you missed that this tournament was a pdga sanctioned event. If nikko wanted a lax fun tournament he should have had it as a unsanctioned event. It is literally is just that simple.

I mean its not like nikko is a kid anymore or a random guy who runs events. He is a pdga rated golfer and plays at the highest level. He should be held to the highest level of rules enforcement. Believe it or not there is thousands of relaxed non sanctioned tournaments every year where having fun is part of the event.

Yeah you missed that this tournament was a pdga sanctioned event. If nikko wanted a lax fun tournament he should have had it as a unsanctioned event. It is literally is just that simple.

I mean its not like nikko is a kid anymore or a random guy who runs events. He is a pdga rated golfer and plays at the highest level. He should be held to the highest level of rules enforcement. Believe it or not there is thousands of relaxed non sanctioned tournaments every year where having fun is part of the event.

Not that this is what you were implying, but it seems to be a prevailing opinion among a good portion of the DG community that following the rules and "having fun" are mutually exclusive things. I've participated in a lot of sports, but disc golf remains the only one I've played where most folks seem to think that playing by the rules means not having fun.

I've played in beer league softball games...bunch of amateurs and hacks having a good drunken time...but if a runner were to miss second base as he ran the bases, no one gets upset at the other team for being uptight or nitpicky or calls them "rule nazis" if they appeal the play, tag the base, and the runner gets called out as the rules require. They understand that's part of the game and the fun doesn't stop or get ruined. You don't have to be playing professionally in front of thousands of people for all the rules of the game to apply.

The ammount of people just not caring about the rules is too damn high.

But when I play with my special "i cant putt so i just count anything that lies inside 30 feet as good" rules, suddenly they do care. Hypocrits!

Let's play for hundreds of dollars, but I don't have to follow the rules and you do.

Sound good?

The ammount of people just not caring about the rules is too damn high.

But when I play with my special "i cant putt so i just count anything that lies inside 30 feet as good" rules, suddenly they do care. Hypocrits!

That's not even close to "The disc is directly under the basket and is the definition of parked." and you know it. Make a relevant comparison next time.

That's not even close to "The disc is directly under the basket and is the definition of parked." and you know it. Make a relevant comparison next time.

At my local non-sanctioned league, that's a good point.

However, in a sanctioned tournament it's exactly the same thing: the hole is not complete yet.

The PDGA has very real expectations for how events are supposed to Be run by TD's. And I don't think any slack in those requirements is justified because nikko wants a chill bro dude vibe man.

Latest posts