• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why are 2023 Jr. worlds and Am worlds theSAME week?

Dgfj

Hi All,
Our kids just started competing this year. As they have nearly all qualified for the invite criteria for Jr worlds next year, we are looking ahead.

Also, my oldest daughter is getting closer to AM world invite points/criteria. After watching a junior, cadence burge, win Am worlds this year, we were excited to think that potentially she could qualify for both.

Awesome, right?? Nope.

we just saw the 2023 schedule and both tournaments are both at the SAME TIME ?!?

why now? What is the rationale? Is this to keep juniors out of AMs?

It seems to be nonsensical to me. Can someone tell me what I am missing? Am I somehow mistaken?

Also, kind of feels like we wouldn't be able to even get all 5 of our kids registered for juniors worlds in time, after reading the conversations about how that went this year.

Last edited:
Just a couple of guesses:

Until recently, Juniors were part of Am Worlds, so players could compete in only one division, anyway. So it's not unprecedented to have them at the same time.

I'd imagine that, in planning these major events for hundreds of players, consideration for the rare player who might be able to contend as both a junior and adult, was pretty far down the priority list.

A larger issue might be cases where a parent and child both want to compete at worlds -- but I'd imagine that's still pretty far down the list of considerations. And dividing PDGA resources with two simultaneous championships, but presumably they've worked that out.

Yeah, my guess is that there are few enough Jrs qualifying for AMs as FA1/MA1 that it's not going to affect their plans., but it still surprised me.

Just thought there had to be others families/players out there disappointed by this.

I expect FA1 and MA1 to both have a ton of Junior aged players and it is probably more likely than not that both those divisions will be won by Junior aged players. The idea that some players will not get to double dip doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I have much more of an issue with the idea that JR Worlds are in the same place 2 years in a row- nice if you are a kid in the Midwest i suppose.

I wouldn't expect the registration for 2023 to be a fiasco like this year.

I have much more of an issue with the idea that JR Worlds are in the same place 2 years in a row- nice if you are a kid in the Midwest i suppose.

Maybe not the right thread for this but I have a much bigger problem that the so called "Worlds" are always held in the US... AM and Juniors included.

Maybe not the right thread for this but I have a much bigger problem that the so called "Worlds" are always held in the US... AM and Juniors included.

I think we will see a European Pro Worlds before too long. My belief is that we have reached the point where a European bid would be looked on favorably with all other things being relatively equal.

With the exception of Toronto in 1986, the U.S. has been the only country with cities willing to bid on hosting the Worlds. Canada did host an early version of Junior Worlds in London, Ontario in 2003.

Maybe an argument for Worlds in the US is because the sport was invented in the US, 78% of PDGA members are in US, & 73% of the courses are in US. The tradition is pretty strong too like MLB, NBA, & NFL.