• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why are women not rated 1000+ rated?

BlazedOrangeHat

Par Member
lots of people ask that question and lots of people say women don't have the power to reach longer holes.

if we use the metrix from the disc golf world tour, and it is a very small sample, it would appear that putting is their downfall.

catrina finished in 45th out of 116, very respectable. look at her stats though... she was 23rd best for GRH at 35%. meaning, she was in 23rd place out of 116 people for birdie or better opportunities. clearly she was getting to the green and power was not an issue. now look at her putts made in the circle. she finished in 111th, at 79%.

what if you look back at the memorial? catrina and paige both missed ~10 foot putts in their final round.

i really think the women could be 1000+ if they were more consistent at putting. the sample size of stats is very small here, but i think it reveals a lot.

You have to also take in to consideration maybe, MAYBE 4 other females can throw as far as Catrina. Others can't even begin to reach those distances. I'd say it's likely both, but power and distance is just as easy of a handicap for women when it comes to distance off the tee or distance of upshots.

I don't see this mentioned often, but physical power is a factor with putting, maybe even just as much as it is with driving. Think about the extra power a male has to put on a 30-ft putt as opposed to a 10-ft putt. It's certainly not effortless at that range. I'd suggest that a woman disc golfer's comfort range is probably some percentage smaller, even inside the circle, than a man's is. Maybe a 25-footer is comparable to a man's 30-footer, or a 15 vs an 18.

Because they don't have multiple elite skills. There are a lot of different ways to get to a 4 digit rating. Pick any two or three disc golf skills. If you can get to a high enough level with those you can get to a 1k rating.

It is just a matter of time and sport growth.

Someone look at the number of 1000 rated males vs the total number of males in the PDGA, my guess is that it a very low percentage. Statistically, It is not surprising that there are no females in that range, there are comparatively very few females in the PDGA.

I cannot comment as to innate physical ability, but that is the more common argument I've seen

It is true that the majority of the females are poor putters. Watch any Tourney on Youtube and you'll see it.

So males will degrees while females grow with the sport? Since rating is a comparison of the field I'm not so sure this is true.

Sorry, I think my original post wasn't very clear.

I am saying that being 1000 rated is statistically unusual enough (at least for males) that having zero 1000 rated women may make sense, given the relatively small number of women

I am saying that being 1000 rated is statistically unusual enough (at least for males) that having zero 1000 rated women may make sense, given the relatively small number of women

I've never heard that before, but it makes quite a bit of sense. Not sure that it's true, but I get what your saying.

I understood your sentiment, but if growth is equal I'm not sure if more women equates to higher ratings. Since growth is predominantly male (safe assumption?) I don't think time and growth are that relevant. I could be wrong.

Depending whether you use men's ratings stat percentages from YE2004 or YE2015, we should have anywhere from 8 to 22 women by now with 1000 rating or more, presuming it was just increasing player population measures that matter.

Do they always play the same layout as men at big events? If so, it probably doesn't help that the women play the same layouts as men. Because many of the women who may have the consistent putting to get to that level, don't have the driving distance to take advantage of it.

Last edited:
Whats the difference between a 1000 rated male and 970 rated male?

Putting and consistency are major factors to move to the next level. And that is where the Women fall short IMO...Its not shot selection or distance for the top Women, its putting and consistency

The "in the circle" stat is not a great one. If she has 50% of her putts from over 20' while a man has only 20% that makes her putting % actually very good. The difference in difficulty from 15' to 30' is a huge margin.

My own anecdotal viewing experience has women putting from the circle edge more than men.

When I was in the 980s, I analyzed my play and found that - to hit 1000 (as I did occasionally for a round or whole tournament) - I had to (or did when I did so) hit 1 less tree off the tee, make 1 more putt (that I missed), and get 'up and down' 1 more time than I did...per round. Each 'goof' type occurred about equally. 3 shots can be made up easily in any given round. Think about how many "coulda, shoulda, wouldas" we all have every round!
Of course I got hurt and a putting funk hit me (read: ratings tank)...but ANYONE could improve just a little at each aspect and improve a LOT overall! I'm guessing a Paige, et al could and eventually WILL do so. They're pretty close right now.

I agree with a lot of what has been posted here. The point about the putting is an excellent one. But physical strength is also a factor.

You may have seen some lower-tier women's competitions in Atlanta recently (I believe Here and There Disc Golf filmed and posted them). I happened to see some of these women playing for tags at one of the local DG parks. I was surprised (shocked, actually) to see that the women were driving off the forward/shorter tees(!). I would've thought pro or semi-pro women would've been driving off the back tees, which at this park are not significantly longer than the forward tees. I'm Mr. Noodle-Arm and I tee off from the back tees (unless I'm with a group that wants to go off the forward tees).

That these women are going off the forward tees, but in these open tournaments they have to go off the same tees as the men, might be something to consider in all this ratings discussion.

Depending whether you use men's ratings stat percentages from YE2004 or YE2015, we should have anywhere from 8 to 22 women by now with 1000 rating or more, presuming it was just increasing player population measures that matter.

a MPO player that is improving has some sort of financial incentive to devote more and more time to getting better and/or going on tour. Speaking for myself, i know that spending X hours to practice putting would improve my average finishes this year thus I'd win more money. Practicing = real $$ increase. For alot of women they may be the only player in their area, thus there is no incentive for them to get better.

I personally think that Val, Cat, and Paige would all have reached 1000 already if they didnt play FPO and just played vs the guys. Of course being just 1000 isn't gonna win them that much money, so they won't be doing it. Even for good players, if they enter an A tier with 40 players there may be 15 who have a chance to win. for the ladies, there are almost always just 2 others. The lack of competition has hurt their development

I personally think that Val, Cat, and Paige would all have reached 1000 already if they didnt play FPO and just played vs the guys. Of course being just 1000 isn't gonna win them that much money, so they won't be doing it. Even for good players, if they enter an A tier with 40 players there may be 15 who have a chance to win. for the ladies, there are almost always just 2 others. The lack of competition has hurt their development

On a similar note I wonder if this also comes into play on smaller events where we often see a large margin after a round or two. At that point there is little incentive to truly push the limits for the remainder of the tourney if you are up a few strokes.