• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So I shot my first 1000 rated round today

ladysmanfelpz

Now that I'm up with the rules and scoring and all that, I finally hit what is rated as a 1000 rated round on DGcoursereview at my local course Camp Sekani Jamboree. It only took me 4 rounds to do it :eh:

I was out of town all weekend and even tho I put my bag up and vowed to myself to hold off for better weather and focus on more important things I couldn't resist. I was cooped up in a plane traveling the day before and were thinking of lines and other shots and techniques on the airplane. It was snowy when I first landed, but then the next day was sunny and I had the day off so I broke my promise and got out there. First round was somewhat disappointing as I found myself not even near able to hit the lines I was daydreaming about. My shot was inconsistent and I couldn't find my timing or my putter for that matter. I threw multiple discs on a few holes to get some warm up in and try different discs and lines, but always played from the first disc I threw to finish out the hole. Idk about you guys, but you'd think throwing multiple discs would give you more shots and more practice, but I find I shoot a worse round. I'm not old by any means, 24, but I have some heavy discs (weighed my wraith at 177 g even tho its labeled 175; is that tournament legal btw?) and throwing back to back drives with heavy, stable discs can take a toll on my shoulder and overall just body energy. A disc golf drive is an explosive movement. So anyway took an 8 over the first round which is on the high side for my average on the course.

Well there were not many people playing the course which is quite rare, so I ate the lunch with me I had in the car and played it again. Tried to play more true to form. Did not throw many multiple drives, maybe 3 or 4 holes where I really wanted to try something or had a fairly poor drive and wanted to correct myself, but didn't play any mulligans or other bogus. My timing was much better and putter was finally getting its stroke back. In fact I think this was the best putting round I had as my drives and approaches weren't the best forcing multiple 40+ putts. Ended up finishing this round with my lowest score of the year at 1 over.

Got back to the starting hole, and after this vow to myself to put up the discs for awhile and do other more productive things, I decided well I've already got 2 under me, I don't think a third round can hurt :mrgreen: . I got back on the tee and even though some of the excitement subsided after already playing 36 holes I was back it again. Started off birdying the first 3 holes, which is a fairly difficult feat. Continued on from there jumping around that score. I did take one mulligan this round on hole 6. I rushed my drive when I was fairly tired and took an uncharacteristic early tree whack. I was playing by myself and was trying to make my rounds as fast as possible and didn't get the proper recovery needed. I redrove and battled for a 15 foot par putt. I uncharacteristically missed that as well, with my bag over my shoulder and even tho I told myself in tourny counditions I should have hit it without bag and properly setting up, I counted the stroke since I took a mully. I made up for the bogie with a 375 ft parked birdie the next hole. The final hole I was again left with a 12 ft putt that I rushed for no apparent reason and missed to hold up my 3 under. I took this as a sign from the disc gods for taking a mulligan and finished at negative 2.

Well still not many ppl on the course and I had the daylight so I went for one more round. My timing was surgical. My putter wasn't too hot as I had great approaches. No mully, just good solid golf. I did have to skip one hole tho as there was a group of 5 just finishing up the hole and a group of 3 on the teepad and this was my only time to jump them to finish up the round. I had a parked 270 ft hole again about 12 ft out. Rushed it with bag on to pass these guys and had a chain out. Again would hit 95% of the time in tourny conditions but I took the stroke since I was jumping a hole. The hole I jumped is a straight away 310 ft hole that I usually par, so that is what I recorded my score as. The next hole I had a crushed drive and was parked for an easy bird to solidify how I would normally perform on those previous two holes. I hit a couple crazy birds later on in the round and was sitting at 6 under going into a 535 ft par 4 with a 330 ft par 3 left. Got par on 17 and again on 18 wound up with a bogey from an easy putt, but decided to count it for my jumped hole finished my round with a 5 under par. On DGcourse review its a 5800-6000 ft course with a par of 55. The avg score is 61.69 right around my avg score. The SSE rating is a 5 under at 49.9.

The thing is after that much golf, I felt pretty good. I don't know if it was the 4 cups of coffee I had before going out, but I could go for ever. I have some lower back issues and after traveling my back was very tight, but after getting loosened up, my back felt great at the end of the day. My shoulder never became sore throughout the round or today for that matter. The only thing that really bothered me was my legs. Its a very hilly course that requires good shoes cuz you are hiking through the course, and I found both my quads and hamstrings were killing me. The last round I was stretching on the pad every 2nd or 3rd hole. My plant leg knee, R leg, had a lil discomfort towards the end of the last round, but it felt more to the climbing up and down the steep terrain rather than planting on the drives as this course can take a toll on your knees in general. Is this lack of strain and soreness an indicator of good form? Is it just good health since I am young? I do stress form, and would think most of you here would say I have a good looking drive, but I am not certain and would definitely like to keep ripping well into old age. Best to start correcting flaws now to make that a reality. Any other thoughts on the round and what I should do next?

I apologize for the long read, and thank you for coming out and sharing your thoughts!!

The Wraith is not legal until it gets worn enough to drop to 175. Mulligans in a round and skipped holes do not count because that puts your mind into a looser more relaxed state than in tourny play. I play better solo than in a group because my muscles cool off and get tighter in tourny mode whereas on a solo run i am in the sweet spot muscle function wise all the time. And throwing in a quickly repeating way helps keep me focused better as well and there is a feel for what my body can do now so i do not have to think about if i am capable of pulling off this shot normally.

Latest posts