• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why Can't Disc Golf Get Big Sponsors? One person's thoughts.

there has been no evidence that anybody wants to watch disc golf, not non-disc-golfers in significant numbers, and no reason for someone to gamble their money in hopes that they can make it happen.

That's because at some point someone in charge of PDGA marketing decided the sport needed to be presented to the public more like ball golf. And here we are now, polo shorts, hush hush while throwing, and you better be on your best behavior on the course. The sport needs a makeover and finally needs to stop trying to act like ball golf's little lost brother. There's an incredible infusion of energy and excitement from all the young players the last 10 years, yet we're grooming them to play the game like (boring) ball golf. As much as I enjoy watching the top pros play due to their technical skills, 99% of the players visually come across as exciting as cardboard boxes.

The sport itself is NOT the reason why it hasn't achieved a greater awareness from the non playing public, imop it's the marketing of the sport that has caused too much of a similarity to ball golf and joe general viewer is probably subliminally confused going "wait..we already have golf..wth are these guys doing?"

That's because at some point someone in charge of PDGA marketing decided the sport needed to be presented to the public more like ball golf. And here we are now, polo shorts, hush hush while throwing, and you better be on your best behavior on the course. The sport needs a makeover and finally needs to stop trying to act like ball golf's little lost brother. There's an incredible infusion of energy and excitement from all the young players the last 10 years, yet we're grooming them to play the game like (boring) ball golf. As much as I enjoy watching the top pros play due to their technical skills, 99% of the players visually come across as exciting as cardboard boxes.

The sport itself is NOT the reason why it hasn't achieved a greater awareness from the non playing public, imop it's the marketing of the sport that has caused too much of a similarity to ball golf and joe general viewer is probably subliminally confused going "wait..we already have golf..wth are these guys doing?"

I am not sure if we could disagree more.

There's no evidence for that, either.

Don't you want the people who play the sport also buying the products from the sponsors in which are giving the tournaments money?

These are the same people that complain about players packs and everything else, disc golf is a hobby and the rare few that can make a living off of it are fortunate. Disc golf will never be what some want it to be IMO.

"That's because at some point someone in charge of PDGA marketing decided the sport needed to be presented to the public more like ball golf. And here we are now, polo shorts, hush hush while throwing, and you better be on your best behavior on the course."

if you think sponsors are throwing money at gym short/tank top wearing hippies then you don't know how corporate sponsorship works.

How about this for anecdotal evidence. Of what I'm not sure.

I've been throwing for a long time. My partner at doubles last night has been playing for less than a year. How did he found out about disc golf? His Youtube algorithm directed him to a Simon Lizotte vlog because his son used his account to watch Brodie Smith trick shot vids. In the past year he's spent $1000+ on discs and a Zuca, he consumes all of the dg podcasts and is self professed "obsessed".

IT is happening. right now. Huge growth, explosion of media, and that large DGPT sponsor is only a matter of when, not if. Sierra Nevada or Bells or.. (insert large craft brewery) will be onboard in the near future if things continue on this trajectory.

Isn't there going to be a recorded DGPT tournament on CBSSC(?) or somewhere like that next month?

The reactions and data from that will say a lot about what others think of our favorite hobby.

I still say no real sponsors are going to waste money on disc golf, ever.

I personally am actually quite fine with where the sport is today. So long as courses are maintained, a few added here and there, and there are more than one disc company choice, I personally am a happy camper. Watching vids is cool (especially for courses I have played--cant wait for DGLO action), but I can enjoy playing just as much without them.

That said, if this sport ever were to grow, I honestly think now is the time it (whatever it is) needs to strike. Major sports are not playing, playing with no fans, have their own major issues threatening to lose millions of fans whichever way they go (see NFL), and this COVID thing looks like it may be around for awhile, which will continue to limit team sports, and things like the gym, YMCA, etc.

Disc golf is great exercise for many demographics (especially in my area with many hills), cost $9 to get into, social distancing is VERY possible (not saying all are adhering to that-ahem Foundation), and can be enjoyed solo or in competition.

Status quo for the next 10 years? Cool. Want to grow it--now would appear to be a great time.

For me and my club the sport are growing TOO fast...it took us over 2y to get permission to expand our local 9-hole course to 18-holes and we had to pay for everything our selfs and do all the work.
But we just got the 18-holes in and already there is so many people playing that it's hard to play on weekends

The only way for us to grow more is a new course...but I can't see that happening in less than 5y

More courses brings more players ..more players gives more disc sales...more disc sales makes more money to the sponsored players

For me and my club the sport are growing TOO fast...it took us over 2y to get permission to expand our local 9-hole course to 18-holes and we had to pay for everything our selfs and do all the work.
But we just got the 18-holes in and already there is so many people playing that it's hard to play on weekends

The only way for us to grow more is a new course...but I can't see that happening in less than 5y

More courses brings more players ..more players gives more disc sales...more disc sales makes more money to the sponsored players

Sponsored players give nothing back to clubs, courses or the AM side. This is a failing business model, IMO. And the foundation of clubs is always going to be a problem. A business model built on the backs of volunteers is an uphill battle at best.

Similar story for us too, we finally got our brand new 18-hole course installed after 2 year process and it's already crowded from morning to late night.

Our club is currently trying to sell sponsorship packages to local companies, which will allow them to put up banners, company stickers to basket band/pole, space in teesign on hole they wanted to sponsor and made contract for, that way we gather some revenue for course maintenance and hopefully for another course project.

And on topic, we won't see any really big sponsors if youtube videos are the only way they are seen. At least I wouldn't do sponsorship unless I got my company name attached to multiple weekend venues which pull thousands of spectators to watch pros play dg. At this moment pro players aren't interesting enough for sponsors, big crowds are the key that pull in sponsors and big name pros pull crowds to venues.

When your course gets too crowded, time to monetize it! Pay to play is the proven solution, as long as you can coordinate with the landowner. P2P is money that can be used to pay staff and make courses better. Less volunteers, more staff! This is a good thing.

The amount of griping on this thread is really too much to take. Things are looking as good as it ever has for DG. I'll see myself to the door.

Sponsored players give nothing back to clubs, courses or the AM side. This is a failing business model, IMO. And the foundation of clubs is always going to be a problem. A business model built on the backs of volunteers is an uphill battle at best.

Have a sponsored player in our club running a league. The manufacturer donated a basket, and some test stuff but to donate disc for the league they wanted you to buy 80 discs minimum.

This is what manufacturers do in this sport, we will sponsor you but give us 500$ first which isn't really a sponsorship. We have to pay you and promote you at the same time a$$backwards.

When your course gets too crowded, time to monetize it! Pay to play is the proven solution, as long as you can coordinate with the landowner. P2P is money that can be used to pay staff and make courses better. Less volunteers, more staff! This is a good thing.

The amount of griping on this thread is really too much to take. Things are looking as good as it ever has for DG. I'll see myself to the door.

All of the courses in my area are in public parks, this just isn't possible.

Don't know if this is relevant, but references the ROI that is so important to sponsors.
DG participation got a HUGE boost from the COVID restrictions, and school being out and the outdoors being seen as a great place to spend time in a healthy environment.
I have seen more families out on the course in the past few months than ever before.
When little Johnny and little Susie go out and play DG with Mom and Dad, a lot of them will have a pleasant memory of a day spent throwing the plates around. Some of the little ones will ask to go back.
BUT, I have talked to more than one parent that got HOOKED from playing DG on a family outing in the last few months.
This (the healthy family participation), I believe, will change the way the game is seen going forward.

I talked to someone at Discraft and they re-enforced what I've been seeing.
They can't keep up with all the discs that are being purchased and distributed!!

Last edited:
I talked to someone at Discraft and they re-enforced what I've been seeing.
They can't keep up with all the discs that are being purchased and distributed!!

Local stores in my neck of the woods are picked clean.

You can get a green driver or a brown mid, but that's about all that's left.

Looks like Innova is having trouble meeting production demands, too.

Discs are low/out of stock from all the big manufacturers, I think mostly from the COVID shutdown, they are trying to catch up but I think you guys are right that more and more people just picked up the game during the shutdown and the extra demand crippled the supply too. I even walked by the disc golf area at Walmart and all I saw left was I think 1 DX Cobra. When usually they had 60-70 discs. Just empty shelves. Same at my local retailer. Can't find half the discs in stock. Online is so low too, it's crazy.

Latest posts