• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Why doesn't everybody throw this disc?

XXX. It is such a fun forehand roller disc. There's a hole here in KC (#11 at Rosedale Up Top in the shortest position) I throw a left handed forehand roller at every time I play it. I get a lot of funny looks :).

Hum . . . well after a year of getting back into the game after a long break, I would have to say that I am thankful I had that 14 year old Stingray in the old bag. I have replaced ever disc in that old bag (including the bag) except the Stingray. Over the last year I could depend on it giving a dependable turn and 300' distance. Without it some dogleg right holes would have sucked.

I am now getting better at throwing reliable anhyzers, so we'll see what the future holds for this simple DX disc. Anyway thanks Stingray.
A DX Stingray was probably the first disc I bought after my starter three-pack. Then I lost it. Wife got me another for Father's Day... lost that, too. Yesterday in an Innova-only sporting goods store I was killing time, talking myself into a GSar Krait when I saw the lonely DX Stingray, blue like my old ones. So that's what I left with. I'm looking forward to throwing it again now that I know what I'm doing.

As far as "why doesn't everyone throw one" I'd go with a Pinnacle Rival. I know every fairway driver is a "longer Teebird," but the Rival really is. Plus, Pinnacle feels 100% better than my Champ Teebird.

Mine would have to be the Mystic, used to throw Comets but these are shallower, flatter, and have no bead while giving the same stability and glide while feeling better in my hands. Love them on the wooded courses around here. Also been really digging the Assassin, guess it's OOP or something, don't know why I'd buy several if they came in nice candy HPP like the Apaches or newer Rages, this is a great sneaky long control driver.

I still don't understand why development of midranges started going back downhill after the rancho roc. Should have left the midrange in its perfect form. WHy doesn't everyone just throw rocs? I see no need for other mids.

LOL sort of JK. I have tried to stop selling people on my preferred molds, and have stopped listening to others for the most part. I have my preferred discs down to a science based on the shots I know I am capable of making. I only change or add molds when I find something that makes a shot that was once hard for me to make consistently easier.

I only throw Innova because I go broke enough just on their plastic, and I have been around only innova since I was a kid. Every time someone tries to convince me that "x" or "y" disc is the new disc "z" ("z" mainly meaning my rhyno's, rocs, TB's and FB's) its always trying to get me to try some other brand disc that should be the same or slightly better than what I already throw.I just think I would be best off sticking to what I am familiar with and mastering the technique with that disc.

Saint - starts out neutral or stable depending on your arm, beats into a beaut of a shot shaper.

With varying weights, plastics, and wear, I could cover most my driver duties with this disc.

I still don't understand why development of midranges started going back downhill after the rancho roc. Should have left the midrange in its perfect form. WHy doesn't everyone just throw rocs? I see no need for other mids.

85 posts. it was amazing to me too. doesn't everyone throw a roc?

when in doubt, throw a roc
i use a roc for anything, but then i'm only using four discs

Saint - starts out neutral or stable depending on your arm, beats into a beaut of a shot shaper.

With varying weights, plastics, and wear, I could cover most my driver duties with this disc.

i thought everyone did throw a saint, pretty dumb if you dont :thmbup:

85 posts. it was amazing to me too. doesn't everyone throw a roc?

when in doubt, throw a roc
i use a roc for anything, but then i'm only using four discs

Buzz throwers feel the same way.

Like someone said before isn't this thread aimed at unpopular molds? Everyone and their mother has heard of a Roc (or Buzzz).

I don't bag them anymore but I would have to say Cobras. Awesome mold that's very overlooked.

Soft Banger GT. The plastic feels great and the Groove Top fits my hand like no other golf disc I've ever held. I love how my thumb finds the same spot every time. The flight is predictable and solid in the wind. If I were to give it Innova #'s I would say 2-2-0-1. I really want an ESP one for upshots. Not sure why more people don't have this disc.

Last edited:
Buzz throwers feel the same way.

Like someone said before isn't this thread aimed at unpopular molds? Everyone and their mother has heard of a Roc (or Buzzz).

I don't bag them anymore but I would have to say Cobras. Awesome mold that's very overlooked.

You tell him he's doin it wrong then list a disc you don't even bag lol

The point is to list something you bag that Everyone else should be throwing bc it's just that useful.

I like the Comet and Zone love going on in this thread. Two flat out amazing discs.

I have a DX Stingray that has found a solid spot in my bag. Doesn't get used too often, but when I need that left->right approach through the trees it gets the job done.

The other that recently is my go to approach is a JK Pro Aviar-X. It replaced a super beat in DX Aviar I had for soft approaches that I want to hit and stick. Brand new and it is already perfect for those.

You tell him he's doin it wrong then list a disc you don't even bag lol

The point is to list something you bag that Everyone else should be throwing bc it's just that useful.

I like the Comet and Zone love going on in this thread. Two flat out amazing discs.

At leas it isn't:

Teebird, Roc, Zone, Comet, Destroyer, Aviar (BB or not), Wizard, Firebird . . .

I threw Cobras for a good 5 years so I know them as well or better than anyone. That matters more to me than "this is definitely unpopular!"

stingray for sure. i can't tell you how many times i have thrown it and people just say, "what was the heck was that?"

This! :hfive: I actually annoy some of my friends with my assortment of Stingrays in the bag. I throw them a lot!

One of my friends hated my Aviars at first, too, but finally started throwing them. I'm going to laugh if he starts throwing Stingrays, too. :p

Don't judge me...
ZOMBIEE! Greatest disc I own for wooded holes. It will f up your day when you see me pull it out! It's money for me especially forehand shots

Latest posts