• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Why no Zone GT!?

Myke566

Birdie Member
In all seriousness, why are we not seeing a Zone GT as opposed to a Ringer GT? The Zone is clearly one of Discraft's most popular molds and would be an even better driving putter with a thumb trac. Perhaps they are adding to GT to the Ringer to bring more attention to it. The Ringer feels so shallow and with that tiny rim, is difficult to grip. Don't know about you, but I would kill for a Zone GT!

Well for one thing, I don't think the Zone is as popular as you think it is. It may well be one of their best-selling discs, but they have others that out-sell it by a large margin. Avenger family, Buzz family, Force, Challenger, Ringer...I guarantee at least all those sell better than the Zone.

Second point, the Zone is already pretty shallow. Putting the groove top on it would, I would imagine, make it feel very funky. Now I've only seen the promo pics of the Ringer groove top and it does look, as you stated, more like a Thumbtrac than the standard GT of the Banger. So, if you and I are both correct, it could be possible they are testing the waters to see if that would sell with the Zone or even other putters like the Challenger.

Last point, the GT is really not a common release for Discraft. The Banger GT is, of course, a stock model. But other than that, all they've ever released is the Buzzz-GT for special fundraisers and now the Ringer GT which seems to me like it is also not going to be a stock release. I actually know two people who love the Buzzz GT and use them as their primary mids, so they aren't unpopular versions of the mold, just not common. Last year when Infinite Discs was a major Ledgestone sponsor, they got to choose their own limited Ledgestone disc. I suggested a Glo Z Buzzz OS GT. They ended up going with a CryZtal Buzzz GT and sold them all, but it didnt seem like my suggestion was outside of Discraft's capabilities.

TL;DR: Zone isn't that big of a seller, Ringer GT may be a trial of a different type of GT which can be used on the Zone, aside from the Banger GT most GT discs are limited releases, it may not be outside the realm of possibility given all the Ledgestone limited discs

One of my favorite parts about the Zone is that the grip feel is super clean: no thumb track, no bead. It's a very stripped-down geometry.

Not saying that they shouldn't make a Zone GT. Go crazy! It's just my opinion that doing so would take away from the Zoneiness. As Andy pointed out above, adding that top might mess with the geometry in other ways.

With regards to sales:
I'd be interested to see the stats. I'm sure the Buzzz and Nuke families sell more*, but by my guestimation the Zone might be next in line. I know a lot of people that hardly throw any Discraft, but own stacks of Zones. (Myself included!)

*Yes, I know that the Ultrastar is Discraft's #1 seller by an order of magnitude.

Well for one thing, I don't think the Zone is as popular as you think it is. It may well be one of their best-selling discs, but they have others that out-sell it by a large margin. Avenger family, Buzz family, Force, Challenger, Ringer...I guarantee at least all those sell better than the Zone....

It was in Infinite discs top 10 best selling putters last year. Just one online store isn't a huge indication, but it was the store you mentioned so I thought I'd chime in...

Well for one thing, I don't think the Zone is as popular as you think it is. It may well be one of their best-selling discs, but they have others that out-sell it by a large margin. Avenger family, Buzz family, Force, Challenger, Ringer...I guarantee at least all those sell better than the Zone.

Second point, the Zone is already pretty shallow. Putting the groove top on it would, I would imagine, make it feel very funky. Now I've only seen the promo pics of the Ringer groove top and it does look, as you stated, more like a Thumbtrac than the standard GT of the Banger. So, if you and I are both correct, it could be possible they are testing the waters to see if that would sell with the Zone or even other putters like the Challenger.

Last point, the GT is really not a common release for Discraft. The Banger GT is, of course, a stock model. But other than that, all they've ever released is the Buzzz-GT for special fundraisers and now the Ringer GT which seems to me like it is also not going to be a stock release. I actually know two people who love the Buzzz GT and use them as their primary mids, so they aren't unpopular versions of the mold, just not common. Last year when Infinite Discs was a major Ledgestone sponsor, they got to choose their own limited Ledgestone disc. I suggested a Glo Z Buzzz OS GT. They ended up going with a CryZtal Buzzz GT and sold them all, but it didnt seem like my suggestion was outside of Discraft's capabilities.

TL;DR: Zone isn't that big of a seller, Ringer GT may be a trial of a different type of GT which can be used on the Zone, aside from the Banger GT most GT discs are limited releases, it may not be outside the realm of possibility given all the Ledgestone limited discs

The Zone is certainly more popular than the Ringer and Avenger. I'd argue that it is one of their most popular molds. Also, Discraft also had the Slipstream GT. Didn't really catch on though. The Zone is deeper than the ringer with a wider rim. The ringer GT is certainly not a groove top like the others, but I think they are just using the GT to be consistent. A Zone GT would be an amazing forehand driving putter. The Ringer GT is just a bit awkward in the hand.

The Ringer looks like a beaded Zone. Using the Ringer instead of the Zone shouldn't be that big of a deal.

One of my favorite parts about the Zone is that the grip feel is super clean: no thumb track, no bead. It's a very stripped-down geometry.

That's well put.

To the OP: GTs (Buzzz and Banger) somehow cause me to throw slightly nose up. Can any GT throwers relate? It's actually great for the Banger as it keeps it slow and gives it a soft landing. With a Zone, nose up would hyzer out short, for me at least.

I'd really like to see a Roach GT or a beadless Banger GT. Perfectly rounded, bullet nosed discs feel great, but without any concavity, bead, or angle change my grip feels less confident. A Groove Track on a disc like that, to me, would feel perfect. And a proper Groove Track, not a Birdie-esque style one.

It was in Infinite discs top 10 best selling putters last year. Just one online store isn't a huge indication, but it was the store you mentioned so I thought I'd chime in...

It also hasnt made it in the "putter wars" this year,but to be fair, most of those top 10 discs are new releases. Regionality is a factor, of course, but I never see Zones on the course. Lots of Buzzes, Nukes, Avengers and Challengers. But I would bet Zone is a top 10 seller for Discraft...but that doesnt say much.

That's well put.

To the OP: GTs (Buzzz and Banger) somehow cause me to throw slightly nose up. Can any GT throwers relate? It's actually great for the Banger as it keeps it slow and gives it a soft landing. With a Zone, nose up would hyzer out short, for me at least.

I'd really like to see a Roach GT or a beadless Banger GT. Perfectly rounded, bullet nosed discs feel great, but without any concavity, bead, or angle change my grip feels less confident. A Groove Track on a disc like that, to me, would feel perfect. And a proper Groove Track, not a Birdie-esque style one.

The Buzzz GT and Banger GT are both groove top. The Ringer GT is a thumb track. Very different. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the Ringer GT, I just think that a Zone GT(Thumbtrack not groove top) would be amazing. The Ringer just feels awkward because of how thin the rim is. Zone is beefier!

The only problem with making a Glo Z Buzzz OS GT for Ledgestone is that would be making an entirely new mold. Whereas up until this point, the ledgestone releases have just been typical molds in unique, different plastics. That would be interesting though!

Yeah OP, I know. That's why I said "proper Groove Track, not Birdie-esque...."
Eh, nevermind.

In all seriousness, why are we not seeing a Zone GT as opposed to a Ringer GT? The Zone is clearly one of Discraft's most popular molds and would be an even better driving putter with a thumb trac. Perhaps they are adding to GT to the Ringer to bring more attention to it. The Ringer feels so shallow and with that tiny rim, is difficult to grip. Don't know about you, but I would kill for a Zone GT!
ZONE GT Just announced!! Fans to decide via voting whether it gets Ringer GT top or Banger GT top!!!

ZONE GT Just announced!! Fans to decide via voting whether it gets Ringer GT top or Banger GT top!!!
Interesting. A less glidey Zone might actually be kind of fun. Not necessary but fun nonetheless. I'm envisioning a slightly faster Scale with the Zone handfeel. Sounds kinda cool honestly. I'll buy 3 lol.

Interesting. A less glidey Zone might actually be kind of fun. Not necessary but fun nonetheless. I'm envisioning a slightly faster Scale with the Zone handfeel. Sounds kinda cool honestly. I'll buy 3 lol.

I'll bag whatever version goes into production, but really hoping for the Banger GT top.

I'm super excited especially since I've always said the only way a Zone could get better for my FH approaches is to add a Thumbtrack to it, and it's probably why my best BH Zone is my warped and well beat JB that basically has a Thumbtrack due to the warpage. I'm going to order a battle pack and try both, I hope regardless of which finds it's way into production, they get both PDGA approved for those that prefer the other version. I also hope that unlike the Ringer GT, there's a production Z run of them.

Yeah, if you vote for an Innova Thumbtrac (ie Ringer top) on the Zone, to get lost among all the Slammers, Caltrops, Pigs, etc, that are already available, over the Discraft original design (as far as I know) Banger GT top, you are wrong.