• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wide rail article

I'm going to be very... critical in some of the things I say here, just forewarning.

The biggest challenge was resisting my ingrained tendency to pull the disc and simply allowing my body turn to set the disc into the slot. Unlike the straight extension swing, in which I was always struggling to synchronize my arm pull and body turn, the wide rail's reduction of the importance of the pull made the timing infinitely easier.

I say reduction because there can still be a feeling of pulling in a wide rail, but for me it doesn't seem to happen until late in the swing – as the disc is coming out of its position close to my body. Some wide rail players really emphasize a late pull or ejection to add power, but I haven't found it necessary to think about it to throw good shots.

The key here is he keeps using the word "pull" over and over again, he makes mention of it not being a "thing" but language is how our brain controls our actions.
When we activate our bodies with better language, our bodies will perform those actions more naturally vs the bad language which activates incorrect movements.

Josh at Overthrow Disc Golf also made a great video about his "twirly bird" drill that helps to engrain this feeling.

Twirly bird, or noodle arm as I call it, is about allowing your body to flow and get rid of the mindset of "pull" and allow your levers to flex. Combined with the box drill, which teaches the shoulder angles this builds the basic upper body mechanics and lower body mechanics of allowing the disc to swing into the pocket and swing out of the pocket keeping the shoulder in the correct position.

So, what he's getting at here, despite using this whole thing incorrectly, is that he learned to be more loose with a wide rail because of how un-natural it can feel when learning to throw the wide rail because you're focused on other mechanics, so your arm will naturally fold at the elbow as you're more focused on the shoulder position. which... is another bad thing which causes most issues with wide rails when people are learning them.

Look at this swing from Doss. In his backswing he takes the disc back on a straight line, but that line is drawn from where he sets the disc in his forward press – distinctly away from his body:

This is one of the main reasons to not copy pros. The forward press, or waggle, a lot of golfers have is just that a waggle.
And this is why i hate the term "reach back" because pro's are not really reaching back, they are walking the disc out. So when players start the disc in a waggle ahead of them, they walk passed the disc.
Bad language explanations of this cause players who are learning to emulate these things and they start over exerting muscles as they reach forward then reach the disc back using all sorts of muscles that don't allow them to stay loose and flowing.
I generally tell people that waggles like this are something you have to decide if you want to do or not, maybe it helps you, but the less fiddling around you do trying to look cool and emulate others and the more simple you make your swing, the less mechanics you have to pay attention to. You, theoretically, want to perform the least amount of actions possible to get to the key points in the swing. The less steps to get through the swing and hit the key points for leverage of the throw, the easier the process will be.

In 2012, McBeth's swing had a very distinct forward press that went outward almost like Philo's. After this press, however, he did not follow a straight path backwards like Doss. Instead, he brought the disc back in towards his body and then back out into a wide rail position. This curve remained a feature of his swing for years.

Since then, McBeth has tightened his swing and seems to have deemphasized the forward press. You can still see traces of his forward press, but he has minimized the out, in, out curve that was so apparent in 2012.

Mcbeth simplified his swing and gained WAY more accuracy and consistency.
However, this, if you ask me, is the method to wide rail the best, but its SOOOO hard.

This is why I personally like this method that paul does, but its super advanced.
Paul sets up his swing the same every time, this allows him to get his shoulders into the shot properly, which wide rail can cause you to have lazy shoulders and lazy hips if you don't know what you're doing.

He hits the reach back and pops his arm out into the wide rail after his body is setup. I've tried this method and when I'm successful with it, its very rewarding swing. However, getting the timing for it was SO hard.

Your goal should not necessarily be to copy any pro...
Correct
... but to focus on getting into a wider position and realizing that there are lots of ways to get there. What feels most natural for you will depend on your strength, flexibility, and – perhaps most importantly – how long you have been throwing with your current form. If you have been throwing with a straight extension and a forward pull for a long time, throwing with a wide rail will feel very strange. It may take a while to sense how to "get your body" into the shot.

There are many teachers and analysts who have been working on breaking away from the long-common wisdom that a straight extension is the best way for every player to throw a disc. There have long been discussions about other ways to swing, whether they are about the wide rail or what was called the "Swedish style." Even some instructors who championed the importance of a very linear swing path, like Lindahl, have softened their position.

Generally, teachers who deemphasize the pull and argue for more body rotation are advancing ideas that work well with learning the wide rail (even if they don't directly teach a wide rail swing.) Bradley Walker's Spin and Throw can be a little dogmatic in its technical recommendations, but it also teaches a lot of drills that help eliminate the tendency to pull.

Lindahl as an example has made a lot of good content, but you got his content along the way as he was learning, which he's learned more over time and made corrections.
However, he's stressed the importance of a standard swing as its the most basic of things, and yes, the wide rail is more advanced.
I like that this article is bringing light to the wide rail, but the issue comes from "this worked for me" but he doesn't understand how. The reason the wide rail is taught as advanced technique as it generally sets newer players up to throw a rounded shot as they are not knowledgeable enough nor practiced enough to set their body up for the wide rail shot.

For your larger players with less flexibility, I believe the wide rail could be more effective. I will say teaching swing timing with larger framed players who have less flexibility is very difficult as the standard things we all teach are not there, but at the same time. sidewinder/seabas has a ton of good video's on how to get more out of your swing using the mechanics available to you, and I don't think any of those really have anything to do with the wide rail from what i remember.

I like that this article is trying to de-stigmatize the wide rail, but the information provided is very uneducated. I'll come back to that.

Conclusion
I found that a wide rail swing was a more comfortable and repeatable way to throw a disc. While I didn't immediately see a huge increase in power, it was easier to have a consistent swing path and release when unwinding the big muscles of my legs and hips controlled my timing. For me, simplifying my mechanics has made it easier to play good golf.

If you have a swing you like, then don't change. An unnecessary swing change is a solution in search of a problem. But if you have been struggling with some of the same things that made disc golf so frustrating for me – rounding, inconsistent timing, falling back, or difficulty in getting into (and out of) a straight extension position – then give the wide rail a try.

I think what ended up happening here with this whole situation was he was struggling with poor explained mechanics and when he tried something new, it was easier to forget those bad ingrained mechanics as he was focused on completely different things which allowed him to actually get a swing going, vs a muscled pull. Which, that's fantastic overall.
But this brings me into how language we use is so important in teaching and helping players. I've re-explained concepts to players with 0 examples and no throwing and watched immediate improvements from them as the language I used had instant impact to how their body responded to what they were trying to do.
I personally feel that things like this are how we take teaching and coaching to the next level in disc golf as the old ways were just different and not thought out well. It was a bunch of dudes having fun throwing frisbees.
Now were taking this stuff super seriously, and other sports are working hard at correcting bad behaviors with language and teaching techniques, why should we not also do the same?

---

Wide rail is an amazing technique when you learn it, but its definitely not a beginner thing. I wont say I'll discourage people from doing it, but trying to emulate a wide rail with low knowledge or practice in the standard golf swing will set you up for failure.
Your body will be lazy as you don't engage your shoulders and hips properly and you're trajectory will turn into a rounded shot or a late shot. Lets take Oakley as an example. His throw looks horrible, but he throws a fantastic wide rail, he just sets it up so aggressively that people don't notice that's what he does.

The other big issue I have after reading this article is one of my biggest issues overall which there is only so much you can do, if you care about it, when people post things like this. Disc golf is growing at a crazy rate and there is tons of great content out there, and there is becoming more and more bad content out there teaching bad technique, or explaining things in bad ways that are not injuring players, but hurting their ability to grow.

I want everyone to be able to express themselves and bring their thoughts to the table, but I think that when we have articles pushed out like this, it's pretty clear that somebody newer to golf is posting this article and doesn't really understand the concepts he is bringing forth. I admire his ability to do it and his effort put in, but I think this could also turn into bad encouragement as to how the information was presented and how the information was explained as the fundamentals were not stressed enough as to how to make a wide rail throw work.

Perhaps I'm being far to critical and far to black and white on how I view things. I've been accused of that a lot, but I have a strong sense of providing the most accurate information I can to others when I speak from a place of authority. And when it comes to putting out content or writing articles like this one, I think its important that the information provided as teaching is as accurate as we can all make it.

While we all have our directions of teaching and methods, just like coaching in other sports, the core concepts and core philosophies are based around the same basics, it's how we take players though those basics to bring success.
And when ideas are presented without all the information, it can cause massive struggles for people learning, or it can come into really poor discussions with others as they bring articles or video's to the table to prove their point, when that video / article is providing either bad information or not the whole picture.

Sorry my post is a bit long here, but I'm not trying to trash the article per say, but just be critical of the points given to them to possibly foster discussion so we can all learn together and grow in our knowledge and understanding of things.

And that's why I really enjoy this place. The other places of content are not interested in discussions like we have here and that bothers me to a large degree as I want to grow my knowledge and ability as a coach to the maximum level. My brain works great, my body is destroyed from working and sports. So I'll never be a championship level golfer, but I could always be a championship level coach.

(so, i found out there is a character limit. hahaha)

I feel like it's peppered with good comments. Would have been nice to interview SB22 instead of going back and forth between SB22 and spin and throw… here's the summary

I cannot say its bad, but I cannot agree its good.

There is tons of great encouragement in the article and that part is important, but I feel the missing information will start people on a frustrating path.

I don't like the term 'wide rail.' I think it was one of those terms Danny Lindahl coined while he was learning and progressing in his tutorial videos on youtube, but I could be wrong.

There is no straight pull in disc golf. During arm extension, your arm is always going to be out and away from your body. This allows adequate room to bring the disc into your chest, then out again as you release. The slight angle away from your body is usually offset by a slight stagger in your foot placement-- ie toe to heel. Reaching straight behind your body will equate to rounding, as your disc doesn't have the adequate room to come into your chest. The way I personally throw is with a small forward pump timed just slightly before my x-step, then I pendulum backwards, and as I start to brace, my arm extends outward via elbow extension.

Some pros might have a little more extreme of an angle than others, but it's all up to what feels best for you, and what became muscle memory through repetition. There is no distinct 'straight pull' vs 'wide rail.'

Last edited:
Some pros might have a little more extreme of an angle than others, but it's all up to what feels best for you, and what became muscle memory through repetition. There is no distinct 'straight pull' vs 'wide rail.'

I've got a buddy who is an extremely well versed physical therapist. He's done everything : trainer for high level D1 football, consultant and researcher for MLB teams, the private practice guy who gets sent NBA players after surgery, plus 25+ years of working in general private practice.

He has repeatedly made the point to me that trying to emulate swings based on the position you see someone else reach on video is going to be highly sub-optimal, creating problems for many/most people. He references that Jim Furyk and John Daly, whose swings seem to be completely unrelated, have the exact same swing when analyzed kinematically. The timing of acceleration and decelaration of each lever is the same.

If you try to reach the same position that John Daly does at the end of his back swing, you may get the clubhead there, but you won't be in the same place kinematically. You'll have moved so many other parts of your body in highly unhelpful ways.

My body can't actually turn all the way back the way my disc golf pro can turn his hips and coil his torso. I don't have that flexibility. Conversely, parts of my shoulders are hyper mobile, causing corresponding tightness in other muscles.

I have no idea how to make use of this information. Disc golf doesn't seem to be there yet.

I don't like the term 'wide rail.' I think it was one of those terms Danny Lindahl coined while he was learning and progressing in his tutorial videos on youtube, but I could be wrong.

There is no straight pull in disc golf. During arm extension, your arm is always going to be out and away from your body. This allows adequate room to bring the disc into your chest, then out again as you release. The slight angle away from your body is usually offset by a slight stagger in your foot placement-- ie toe to heel. Reaching straight behind your body will equate to rounding, as your disc doesn't have the adequate room to come into your chest. The way I personally throw is with a small forward pump timed just slightly before my x-step, then I pendulum backwards, and as I start to brace, my arm extends outward via elbow extension.

I duno about coining the "wide rail" term, but there is a difference in a standard backswing vs a wide rail back swing. It's visible in the swing itself, and the results of the swing are different as well.

But there is no "straight" path for the disc, and trying to do such thing will lead to failure.
Just the same as trying to "pull" the disc will lead to absolute failure, which is why I dislike the term so much. It's a swing, not a pull.
When you pull, you muscle.

In a wide rail, your shoulder angles on the back swing are different setting up how the timing comes through differently.
But the issues that it comes to when newbies try it with bad information is they dont' turn their shoulders into the shot, they hit their back swing really lazy and then muscle through because if you dont set up your shoulders and body to drive the shot, you'll have a bad throw regardless of wide rail or standard swing.

There are techniques in ball golf that are similar to this also. Though I never studied that level of technical terms in golf to know the differences.
But changing your swing planes can change your leverage into the club in ball golf, just as us changing some angles in the back swing can change how we leverage the disc.

I've got a buddy who is an extremely well versed physical therapist. He's done everything : trainer for high level D1 football, consultant and researcher for MLB teams, the private practice guy who gets sent NBA players after surgery, plus 25+ years of working in general private practice.

He has repeatedly made the point to me that trying to emulate swings based on the position you see someone else reach on video is going to be highly sub-optimal, creating problems for many/most people. He references that Jim Furyk and John Daly, whose swings seem to be completely unrelated, have the exact same swing when analyzed kinematically. The timing of acceleration and decelaration of each lever is the same.

If you try to reach the same position that John Daly does at the end of his back swing, you may get the clubhead there, but you won't be in the same place kinematically. You'll have moved so many other parts of your body in highly unhelpful ways.

My body can't actually turn all the way back the way my disc golf pro can turn his hips and coil his torso. I don't have that flexibility. Conversely, parts of my shoulders are hyper mobile, causing corresponding tightness in other muscles.

I have no idea how to make use of this information. Disc golf doesn't seem to be there yet.

This is some fantastic information. And yes, Disc golf isn't really there yet, but it is at the same time.
Disc golf *needs* to be there, but there is a lot of gatekeeping on technique and teaching.
When it comes to teaching, nobody cares what people who are dedicating their skills to coaching has to say.
Nobody is going to pay me to teach them, they would rather pay a pro 100-400 dollars to not really help them that much because "hes a pro, he knows what he's doing."
And.. very rarely is that the case.

I cornered stokley over something like this for his opinion, and the response i got from him was really self centered. And scott is a very talented golfer, and is fairly decent at teaching, but I know his understanding of disc golf overall doesn't match that of feldberg who's put more time into talking with others to get more information to be better.

The response was hilarious because I was asking him about disc golf moving to proper caddy's. And he essentially told me that Pro ball golfers dont listen to their caddy, they are just there to carry the bag. Then proceeded to tell me that nobody can tell any golfer how to golf better than they do.
And this is his opinion of course, and its soooooo wrong.
If pro ball golfers just needed somebody to carry their bag, they woudln't be paying out percentages and keeping the same caddy all the time. They would just grab random people like disc golfers do.
And pro ball golfers wouldn't spend time with coaches improving their game, and all the other things they can.
And they are not going to other pro ball golfers for that, they are going to coaches.

Very rarely in history have some of the best sports players also been some of the best coaches.

People who are coaching need to get out of some of the echo chambers they are creating and further discussion vs whatever it is they are doing.
And yeah, it's somewhat personal where I'm coming from, but if all you ever do is only talk to other youtubers who can get you more subscribers to build your business larger to make more money, you're not really doing everyone a favor by doing that.

I saw one of the bigger youtubers now have a discussion on their channel with some guy who i had never heard of who teaches disc golf and I'm like... wow, this is worthless. I mean, maybe the guy had something good to say, but it was all about linking up with somebody with a large youtube channel, not somebody who necessarily has a huge grasp on form theory, or some of these other things we need to be getting into.

I listened to the podcast, and I honestly cannot tell you a single thing they talked about it was so.. meh.
Nothing new was presented, it was just a collab to share subscribers.

But to bring it back around to your point.
Your friend told you one important thing that I try and stress. It's important to hit those key points in the swing, how you get there is of your own doing. And you can see this with all the pro's, they have key points they all meet, they just all do it in their own way their body has adapted to over time. So copying these people is fruitless as this is what their body let them do to hit those key points, not what YOUR body will let you do to hit the key points the best you can.

In a wide rail, your shoulder angles on the back swing are different setting up how the timing comes through differently.

I usually think about the wide rail on a continuum with the more compact reachback, and the apparent timing effects are due to stabilizing balance/equilibrium swinging through the CoG similar to how twistedraven states it. Larger in-out-in pattern = more wide rail:

Very rarely in history have some of the best sports players also been some of the best coaches.

That seems likely. It's hard to imagine someone can put in the time to become a "peak" athlete and "peak" coach in equal measure.

I saw one of the bigger youtubers now have a discussion on their channel with some guy who i had never heard of who teaches disc golf and I'm like... wow, this is worthless. I mean, maybe the guy had something good to say, but it was all about linking up with somebody with a large youtube channel, not somebody who necessarily has a huge grasp on form theory, or some of these other things we need to be getting into.

I suggested and then did this once with Overthrow under my Ace It! channel to do a "form roast" of Josh's form at his invitation.

Not sure if that's what you had in mind, but in any case, there is a reason I frequently credit & cross-reference seabas22/sidewinder22 and other sources here and agree that most people aren't talking about it, including people who aim to train/coach/monetize. I agree that there are insufficient hard data about swing mechanics and hope more come out. Insofar as I try to "teach" people coming along lower on a learning curve, I attempt to do it with sources after I critically think about and attempt what I'm taught and experiment. I also am careful to disclaim what I can and cannot comfortably do myself and refer them to other and more expert sources as a matter of course.

This is helpful. Thinking, cross-referencing, and learning about the "fundamental" mechanics as far as we can identify them is important since "see and copy positions" approach can be deeply problematic. I was so frustrated trying to find my way on my own looking at pros. I could glean superficial stuff but I'm not shaped exactly like any of them and I don't have their background. I'm very grateful for this community since I don't "see" pro form the same way anymore, and I also know the goal isn't to "copy" any one of them in particular, but to learn what commonalities and variations they exhibit and try to adapt.

I usually think about the wide rail on a continuum with the more compact reachback, and the apparent timing effects are due to stabilizing balance/equilibrium swinging through the CoG similar to how twistedraven states it. Larger in-out-in pattern = more wide rai
That seems likely. It's hard to imagine someone can put in the time to become a "peak" athlete and "peak" coach in equal measure.

I suggested and then did this once with Overthrow under my Ace It! channel to do a "form roast" of Josh's form at his invitation.

Not sure if that's what you had in mind, but in any case, there is a reason I frequently credit & cross-reference seabas22/sidewinder22 and other sources here and agree that most people aren't talking about it, including people who aim to train/coach/monetize. I agree that there are insufficient hard data about swing mechanics and hope more come out. Insofar as I try to "teach" people coming along lower on a learning curve, I attempt to do it with sources after I critically think about and attempt what I'm taught and experiment. I also am careful to disclaim what I can and cannot comfortably do myself and refer them to other and more expert sources as a matter of course.

the biggest thing to take away is that we all have our piece of the pie, but its also important to study up and give credit where its due when it comes to your own techniques of teaching.

Seabass/sidewinder has a very unique approach and something that triggers with me in seeing the similarities with other sports. A lot of the mechanics we use here are very cross platform.
And I think Josh is seeing this a bit with his tennis background as well. I actually fixed part of my forehand issue with a tennis forehand video.
But we should give inspiration credit where its at, and further discussion as much as possible.

I could literally just make youtube videos' roasting other creator content on the BS they spew on disc golf form.

This is helpful. Thinking, cross-referencing, and learning about the "fundamental" mechanics as far as we can identify them is important since "see and copy positions" approach can be deeply problematic. I was so frustrated trying to find my way on my own looking at pros. I could glean superficial stuff but I'm not shaped exactly like any of them and I don't have their background. I'm very grateful for this community since I don't "see" pro form the same way anymore, and I also know the goal isn't to "copy" any one of them in particular, but to learn what commonalities and variations they exhibit and try to adapt.

I think the more eyes' we have trying to identify the key factors in a swing the faster we can approach a commonality with teaching.
But the goal isn't that from what i see, its about getting content out and getting the most views.

I wanna research and see the basic of the basics of the basics and gain agreement on "these are the most key points" for us to focus on as coaches.

^ agree there. The reason I have so much respect for seabas22/sw22 is that he clearly struggled with all of this himself including with some physical pains (you can go back to the old DGR mirror, starting circa 2008?), got input from others, and then clearly wanted to understand the mechanics more deeply and learn from more established sports. Then, he not only started to notice and apply all these inter-sport lessons, but started to share them for free with everyone online. He's been doing that for years, and in the meantime he has continued to give very deep and often pro bono advice to struggling players.

I had the thought about roasting content when I started out. Aside from being too new to feel credible, I felt that it was most productive to try to summarize lessons I had learned and then point out "common mistakes" - which you frequently see in content. I try to circle back to clarify things when I can. I'm sure I'll want to change a lot again soon. I agree however that sometimes there's a place for a more confrontational style. But one of the problems is that DG is still in this era where people can question what the "facts" are. Slingshot even starts with the disclaimer that there are no facts on his channel, only opinions. So why would I go there to learn? Seabas22 had the closest thing to "peer-reviewed" content (and with HUB/loopghost when he was more active) that made contact with established sports mechanics that was out there. I think we certainly need more than that, and I'm honestly bummed he's still the only one offering that kind of depth, for the most part.

On topic (shocking, I know!):
Oh, back to "wide rail" for a minute: I want to know how much mechanical efficiency there is in the more "extreme" wide rails and if there's really a "there" to be had.

What I mean is that in the original article there, yes, Mcbeth has scaled down his wide rail to a more compact style, and you still see him tinker with more or less pump or width, etc. So what I really wonder is what we see is a distinct "style", or what is really happening is that everyone has their theoretically ideal "wide rail" and you're just more or less close to it in your form.

I'm bringing that up because I noticed in my own form work right now, the more I just focus on "swing thru the CoG" while working on posture, it seems to be "winnowing out" the less effective postures and paths a bit that make a big safety/power difference. Maybe there's something wholly distinct one could do, or maybe I'll just (hopefully) get closer to my ideal "out-in-out/wide-rail" sweet spot over time. But I'm also wondering if there's some kind of mechanical/biological advantage in the more extreme range of motion I'm not thinking about. Discuss!

Last edited:
Blake Takkunen is the first I know who used the term rail (not sure if he used wide rail, but I think that is what he described when with about Dan Beato .

For those who are unfamiliar with him, you might enjoy looking through the old Disc Golf Review forum

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=09a9cf268642e4973cfc395d56da1cdd

Not sure whether this was the first time he wrote about rails, but...

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/...sid=0289f2a2069cf3b8d07ed32060ecb0f4&start=15

His Choosing the Right Golf Disc article set me on a good path

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/choosingadisc.shtml

I think it still holds up today, though there are a few hundred more discs you could put in there.

And I still think his Joe's Flight Chart is the best one ever made. I just wish it was kept current.

He wrote, I listened. I just wish he had put stuff on YouTube.

The reason I have so much respect for seabas22/sw22...., and in the meantime he has continued to give very deep and often pro bono advice to struggling players.

I never really looked up his form checks until I got in here. Cause I do all my form checks privately or on discord. And I'd spend some serious time on some people with photos and drawings etc.
but man.
He absolutely puts in massive effort every time. And I'm getting burnt out on it personally. To many form checks also screw up my form as well.

I had the thought about roasting content when I started out. Aside from being too new to feel credible, I felt that it was most productive to try to summarize lessons I had learned and then point out "common mistakes" - which you frequently see in content. I try to circle back to clarify things when I can. I'm sure I'll want to change a lot again soon. I agree however that sometimes there's a place for a more confrontational style. But one of the problems is that DG is still in this era where people can question what the "facts" are. Slingshot even starts with the disclaimer that there are no facts on his channel, only opinions. So why would I go there to learn? Seabas22 had the closest thing to "peer-reviewed" content (and with HUB/loopghost when he was more active) that made contact with established sports mechanics that was out there. I think we certainly need more than that, and I'm honestly bummed he's still the only one offering that kind of depth, for the most part.

In all honesty, I don't want to necessarily "roast" content out there, but what I really want to do is take content that is out there and bring it into context for everyone watching.
Seabass puts out some really good video's. But I spend a LOT of time with some folks trying to explain what he's trying to show everyone, and that takes a lot of typing.
Or the same with video's out there that are demonstrating good concepts, but are being explained in really poor fashion.
But there is content out there that is roastable. haha. Come here dumpster, time to light a fire!

If I only had somebody to do my post work for me, I'd be killing the youtube game.
I HATE editing video.
Dont mind shooting it. But because I hate editing, anything I shoot is generally bland because of that.

Oh, back to "wide rail" for a minute: I want to know how much mechanical efficiency there is in the more "extreme" wide rails and if there's really a "there" to be had.

What I mean is that in the original article there, yes, Mcbeth has scaled down his wide rail to a more compact style, and you still see him tinker with more or less pump or width, etc. So what I really wonder is what we see is a distinct "style", or what is really happening is that everyone has their theoretically ideal "wide rail" and you're just more or less close to it in your form.

I'm bringing that up because I noticed in my own form work right now, the more I just focus on "swing thru the CoG" while working on posture, it seems to be "winnowing out" the less effective postures and paths a bit that make a big safety/power difference. Maybe there's something wholly distinct one could do, or maybe I'll just (hopefully) get closer to my ideal "out-in-out/wide-rail" sweet spot over time. But I'm also wondering if there's some kind of mechanical/biological advantage in the more extreme range of motion I'm not thinking about. Discuss!

From my experience trying to learn wide rail, which that journey is still there, cause ... Wide rail can make you a lazy golfer if you don't focus. This is why I keep bringing up the lazy part with the body and shoulders, the wide rail throw, for some reason, helps you create way more spin and a different style of snap.

So, I'ma build a little disc golf wooden guy thing so we can look at some mechanics at some point, along with all the other crazy stuff I STILL need to build or finish for disc golf. (Like the wind tunnel, were going to take things to a new level there)

But, if you look at the pro's, paul doesn't wide rail when he throws power.
But when he's going for far more control, he will do his standard backswing, then move his arm out into the wide rail. Which is .. insanely effective.

Simon throws a wide rail at times. Oakley always throws wide rail, and he throws a WIDE rail.

Bringing it back, I was just randomly thinking about the wide rail thing, cause... its 6am and coffee and type type type.

I remember some of the old wide rail content earlier suddenly.

And this was back a few years ago when we were still on the "straight line" vs "not straight line" style of disc golf.
And wide rail was more in the descriptor of "not straightline" but had nothing to do with the backswing arm setup position like it does now. It had to do with the path the disc took to the power pocket.

Anyways, I have no idea where to go with my fingers here on the keyboard at this moment.

I did a video on wide rail vs standard swing and explained what is going on.

Hopefully this is a bit more clear for some people, as I can use a lot of language, some things are a bit easier to demonstrate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL7GlXTl4Fw

It's a bit off the cuff, so ignore my waist and feet.

The primary issue comes to shoulders and setup.

Thanks for that video. That really cleared things up for me. So basically, Arm to shoulder angle 90°= standard, greater than 90°= wide, along with the set-up and mechanics you explained.

Thanks for that video. That really cleared things up for me. So basically, Arm to shoulder angle 90°= standard, greater than 90°= wide, along with the set-up and mechanics you explained.

there is like way more to it, but that's the basics.

Mainly I was wanting to demonstrate that wide rail with lack of discipline makes for a lazy throw. Or wide rail with a lack of knowledge, is probably just a standard throw, but due to lack of flexibility, you're unable to turn your body fully into the shot, which is probably what the deal was with the guy writing the article. he was never setting himself up properly and reaching around, vs having a backswing and gaining the shoulder angle.

Most people reach around and ballerina the disc and go 'why didn't it go far'.

Cause you did everything wrong. But its not their fault, things were never explained to them properly.

Latest posts