• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wind direction test.

cblanch4

Bogey Member
What exactly is the point of throwing grass or dirt in the air before a throw. It kinda drives me nuts when people take so much time each hole on just a casual round. First they check the wind direction, then they do a few practice swings with 3 different discs then check the wind again.

Im just wondering if throwing grass really helps that much. If the wind is too soft to just feel on your face will it really make much of a difference. I think the inconsistancies in arm speed and disc angle have more to do with a misplaced shot than a 3 mph breeze that is so soft it must be checked with dirt or grass.

Am i alone on this or are there other people that notice disc golfers doing wierd things like this. I think it just messes with their mental game honestly, not to mention slows play considerably.
Ps. Im talking about players rated below 970, i do think with pros their muscle memory is dialed in and they do need to know if its a south or southwest breeze.

Golfers do it all the time as well. Just chalk it up to their pre-shot (throw) routine.

its good to compare wind at the tee from that of the trees as well. its not always windy where you are throwing and can be where the disc is landing or the other way around'

You can feel wind but its hard to tell the actual direction it pushes like you can see with a light floating object. What feels like a headwind can a be a right to left or left to right and big impact on release angle as well as finishes when you are hitting a spot 350+ down the fairway.

To simply answer your question: yes it is a little absurd to do this during a casual round. I get to the course early everytime to determine direction of wind from the get go and establish a landmark to say, "ok, the wind is blowing away from that". I can look at it all round long and determine what I need to do quickly. Doesn't that sound more logical than checking every hole?

Logic would say no. The wind changes moment to moment and checking it an hour ago isn't gonna help you adjust for the shot your about to throw. If I can't tell where its blowing from, I'll toss some grass real quick. Maybe your game isn't developmentally to the point where you can make adjustments for wind but don't hate on me for taking an extra second and a half to check it.

I do it before every drive however I do it before I get on the teepad. In my defense I live in Texas and its usually windy and the wind changes direction here quite a bit. Its vital info for me even in a casual round. Most of the better players I know check the wind allot here. The ones that don't are usually the ones wondering why their under stable disc turned and exited stage right 200 feet or why their over stable disc drove into the ground 50 feet in front of them. I also pay attention that my friends drives to see what the wind is doing closer to the pin.

Another recommendation for those wind concious..use your surroundings instead of tearing grass from the ground. Watch the waves in the water, if the wind isn't blowing hard enough to see wind direction in the water then just play your hole as normal. If no access to water view, watch the smallest tree or Bush, they will waver the most. People thinking wind direction changes every minute just don't understand their directions. Different holes face different directions, establish wind direction once every hour and you're fine.

Um, no wind direction is NOT a constant thing by the hour let alone the second.......... Its general movement could be but that doesn't mean the land or weather can't impact it lol

I do it just to drive newbs nuts... getting a read on the wind is just icing on the cake.

It's typically not hard to find dead leaves or cut blades of grass on most holes... I make a conscious effort to avoid further harming living organisms.

Last edited:
Ok, are we talking, "DUDE the wind is now moving NNE as opposted to N as of two minutes ago!!". No, sorry, that doesn't affect a seasoned disc golfer. And the only time you should be looking for wind to shift major cardinal direction is if you hear about a weather change coming. All my opinion, but never had an issue with following my methods. Living in windy ol Wichita, KS btw.

I've used smoker's exhalations...

No but it might change what disc they throw or how :doh:

You miss my point. If you can tell N to NNE from throwing grass...Just wow. And if you can't tell wind blowing north from wind blowing east...well, that's kind of pathetic. A disc does not know N from NNE. Only angle of release might help that small of a difference.

I suppose we can agree to disagree :) Definitely don't want to start a new thread on does wind affect the flight of a disc lol

Using blades of grass to check for wind direction is normal. Doing it more then once is stalling, maybe the golfer can't see the shot or thinks the wind is coming from a different direction up ahead.

I don't find it "wierd."

Wind is different than breeze. A simple 2-3 sec action and observation can determine which one it is, and which direction its going. Even in a casual round, giving yourself the best chance at aces to brag about is what its all about. Why not increase those odds, even if only slightly? If someone has to throw grass, wrist waggle, aim w/ the disc tilted vertically, or say a prayer get themselves dialed in mentally, as long as they don't take more than 30 seconds to throw, I don't see the harm.

It would only upset me if the grass ended up like Donnie's ashes all over my face.

Latest posts