• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wisconsin

Gumbo

Bogey Member
What courses do you guys feel are the best in Wisco? Favorites?

I haven't played too many courses, but Dretzka in Milwaukee is probably the best I've played, and the Quarry in Sheboygan is easily my favorite.

I live in Wisconsin and have only played a few. :(

I know I have played in Madison and Milwaukee but that was when I was like 7 or 8 and don't really remember. I have also played Beaver Dam a handful of times. I play the Watertown course all the time since it is 5 minutes away from my house. There is also another course that very few people know about that I play. It is right outside of Sugar Island which is right outside of Lebanon.

I really need to expand.

Off the top of my head..

Honorable mentions...

Standing Rocks
Yulga
Tower Ridge
Luc D'Flambeau
telemark
dretzka
Parkside
Sandy Point

My fave: Vallarta Ast

Historical: Volrath

Signature: Highbridge

I cant speak for brown deer and dineen - havent played those yet.

Well, here's a list of some of my favorites:

1)Standing Rocks - simply amazing
2)Sandy Point - only played two rounds there, but I love it
3)Vollrath - one of my home courses
4)Dretzka - again, only a couple rounds but sweet course
5)Yulga - another home course, lots of tee options and multiple pin placements on most hoes

I'm planning on playing some Appleton/Kaukanau area courses in about a month or so. I've heard great things about them in that area. And as for Higbridge, I would absolutely love to get up there once. I've heard it's unreal, but I can't comment since I haven't played it yet...

Gumbo, you from the Shevegas area?

pd

I've played close to 30 WI courses and to date my favorites are

Vallarta-Ast Disc Golf Course Token Creek Co. Park - Deforest
Village Park - Sussex
Lions DGC - Baraboo
Mt. Simon - Eau Claire
Milwaukee County Sports Complex - Franklin
Private course in Mt. Morris

The courses at Highbridge are outstanding!

Site of the 2007 Pro Worlds, Highbridge has 5 courses with a few more on the drawing board. At the 2005 Mid-Nationals I played Highbridge Gold Bluberry Hill and Granite Ridge. These courses are top notch when it comes to risk reward, course management, hole variety and scenic enviorment. I only wish they were more roller friendly.

It's not often you can play three championship caliber courses all at the same property. Plenty of elevation changes and panoramic views of the Northern Wisconsin wilderness. Staying in the fairway is a real priority so you have to play good placement golf on the longer par 3s, par 4s and par 5s.

It's in the middle of the boondocks but plenty worth it if you have several days to spend.

Info on Highbridge can be found through the 07 Worlds site found here http://www.2007proworlds.com/pages/courses.html

Quick question. Anyone know of any leagues and/or tournaments around Waupun/Beaver Dam area this summer? I'm relocating there for work and would like to find something to do with my free time around there.

pd

Madison Leagues are probably your best bet. Madison is only 30 min from Beaver Dam. Currently there is a Handicap singles league on Tuesdays, Random Draw Doubles on Saturday AM. Last summer there was also a Random Draw Doubles Saturday Afternoon league, a Thursday Womens League/ Sig other league.

We are also starting a Bag Tag League for MADC members take a look at our site http://madcitydisc.org

well i live in slinger so i usually play there but i only really like the back nine. Beaver Dam, Saukville, Sheboygen, and Dretka are all good though. I've only played once in Madison but i can't remember the name of the park. that course was awesom though...

Thanks for all the info. We'll see what I can get into once I get settled down. Looks like I'll be playin a TON of Crystal Lake Park, again...

pd

Probably headin to Appleton area tomorrow. Just wondering what courses have the pins in so I can plan my routes. Thanks.

pd

I would suggest you sign up for the MADC forum. we have some very active members from the Appleton and Steven Point that read the forum pretty much daily.

Last I heard from Jay_J O'Hausers and Gringon were the only courses in the ground. THings could have changed in the last week or two. You can also look at the club site and see if they have any course info

aadgc.com

Anyone lookin to get out in the Waupun, Beaver Dam, Fon du Lac are let me know. Just moved to Waupun and I'm lookin for some people to play a couple rounds with. Feel free to PM me.

pd

In regards to my previous post about a course in Waterloo, I haven't personally played it yet but a few of my friends have. I don't know if it is 9 or 18 or if it has cement tee pads or anything but I know it has a couple decent length holes and there are also a few water holes. It is located at Firemens Park.

Okay, I went and played at Waterloo's course this morning and hated it. There was no direction as to where you were supposed to go, no teepads of any kind, the holes did not follow one another in anyway what so ever so you had to walk a decent way to get to each of the holes, the buckets are placed in really dumb spots - for example, one hole was 2 feet away from a fence, it has those innova baskets with the yellow tops and half the chains are already rusty and the coure has been up for no more than a month, and the last hole ends at least a half mile away from where you have to park to play hole 1. I hated it.

I just moved to the Appleton area a few months ago and have had a chance now to play most of the courses in the area, many of them several times. Ranked in order of my favorites:

Plamann : A gorgeous 27 hole course in great shape with a variety of challenges. A must play if you're in the area.
O'Hauser : My 'home' course. Each 9 plays like a different course, one is fairly open, the other mostly wooded. A little flat, but a tough course (for me, anyhow), I just can't seem to play all 18 well, it's one 9 or the other from day to day. Keeps it interesting. Thursday League plays here.
Winnebago Cty Park in Oshkosh : Brand new, only 15 holes, and completely flat, but wind almost always is a factor. Make good use of water and trees where possible. Since it's new, it's still in great shape and seldom busy.
Gringon : A nice course, but over-rated in my opinion. Maybe I'm just bitter because the park administrator yanked the pin for #4 due to vandalism (both the vandalism and the park's reaction to it rub me the wrong way). Lots of elevation changes which is nice. Makes for a good workout.
Telulah : A lot of variety, some narrow wooded fairways, some wide open, nice elevation changes. Beautiful views of the Fox River in places. Not rated higher in my list due to erosion and vandalism. Wed night league p[lays here.
Red Arrow in Oshkosh : Poorly marked, highly eroded and vandalized. Nice layout though. I suspect it was once a very nice course.

There are a bunch of little 9-holers around too, but i've only played two of them, Kimberly High School and Pierce Park. The Kimberly course has some pretty awful tee pads, sunken mini-ponds with ankle-breakers for borders and not too well marked, but a fun, short course. Pierce Park was fun too, well marked, challenging in parts and one I'll likely play again.

khanti, the pin for #4 at Gringon is back. I haven't been to Pierce or Telulah but I agree with the rest of what you wrote. Plamann is fantastic. I haven't done the "extra 9" in a long time. The last time I did there were dead deer parts near the pin on one hole.

You must get to Silver Creek Park in Manitowoc. If it's not the best course in NE WI, then it's tied with Plamann for that honor.

If you ever get up to Green Bay, Pamperin is the best course, but it's $2 to play(I guess they had to pay for those cobblestone tees somehow) and it uses the same 9 baskets to make an 18 hole course. This says a lot about the quality of courses in this area. I'd much rather drive the half hour to Plamann than play anything up here. Pinecrest isn't bad if you hit it up before the rough gets too rough unless you enjoy spending forever looking for discs. I'm not sure if they knock all that crap down more than once a year, but try it out sometime in early May next year. Triangle/Bairds Creek is ok, but pretty dirty most of the time and the dirt tee pads are extremely worn. Some are to the point where the pro and recreational tees have merged into one giant tee.

The course in Kewaunee is extremely challenging. You can see a decent picture tour of it somewhere on the web.