• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Wizard Selection & Procurement

RunnerUp

Hey All,
There are a lot of threads about Wizards out there and I've searched several and read a fair amount. I still think my question(s) deserve a post though, as I'm hoping to get some help specific to my situation...

As background, I'm currently putting KC Pro Aviars and I don't have any huge complaints about them, I'm mostly just curious to try swapping out Wizards to see if I like them better. I've really only putted with Pro or KC Pro Aviars...ever.

I like KC Pro because its stiff, and I like slightly grippier feel of Pro plastic (I've got 1 first run Pro Aviar left of a stack). I don't like the Pro because the flight plate flexes when I hold it up flat. This could be something I learn to deal with though, since I'm finding I dislike how slick the KC Pro is nearly as much as I like the rigidity.

So, my first question is plastic type. I'd ideally like something firm and grippy, but understand that this isn't always a possibility. I'm thinking Eraser or Organic is the right way to go. Any advise?

Second and maybe most important (because person preference on "feel" is kind of an all over the place topic) what's the best way to get say 5 or so of the "same" disc... weight, plastic, color, etc.? I tried infinite discs but can't seem find multiples in colors I like. The gateway website does have a wholesale purchase form, but does that apply to a non-vendor like myself? Should I just email Gateway and start down that route or does anyone have any guidance from experience they could share?

Thanks in advance! I'm a Newbie on this site but I really like how helpful everyone is around here.

If you like firm and grippy pure white or fossil is probably the best bet. Some runs of special blend are almost that firm and super grippy.

Welcome to wizards, you will have more choices than any other putter on the market and can find a plastic blend thats perfect.
When you find it buy 10 cause you never know what the next run will be like.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Thats not an entirely fair post, Dom has done a lot with the factory end and consistency between runs of popular plastics has been pretty good.

I would definately start with pure white. For a grippy/chalky-ish stiff wizard.

Big thing to look for, especially driving wizards is a higher shoulder.

To get 5 matching you can buy straight from gateway. You can tell them what you want and they can help find a good blend.

Some runs of eraser could really fit the bill for you, but some were pretty soft and others kinda smooth

Organic and Eraser (like most of their blends) both have been run in different flexibilities so you can't guarantee that you're going to get firm blends. Is there something you'd like from Aviars that you're not getting currently? Wizards tend to not glide as much so you could find yourself hitting cage more than chains.

I think the best combo of firm and grippy that I've tried is RDG's Fossil. I haven't bought one since the first couple runs so someone else may be able to help with the current run's characteristics. If firm is your main criteria, the Pure White blend should be sufficient.

And Wizards are best bought in pairs (at least).

To get 5 matching you can buy straight from gateway. You can tell them what you want and they can help find a good blend.

Some runs of eraser could really fit the bill for you, but some were pretty soft and others kinda smooth

So because I'm impatient, do you think it would be better to start with a few different options and test them out before buying multiples, or do my research and just go with a (short) stack right away? I just bought a basket and my aviars are different weights which is starting to annoy me.

Your best bet is to head to a store that sells them and fondle every single plastic blend they have. Pure Whites and firms sound like they'd be up your alley. If you want a little less hard check out the special blends, softs and erasers.

But like has been mentioned before, sometimes the blends of plastic change in firmness. However, it doesn't seem to affect the flight much if at all. Unless of course you get into the premium plastic blends, I have no experience there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Organic and Eraser (like most of their blends) both have been run in different flexibilities so you can't guarantee that you're going to get firm blends. Is there something you'd like from Aviars that you're not getting currently? Wizards tend to not glide as much so you could find yourself hitting cage more than chains.

I think the best combo of firm and grippy that I've tried is RDG's Fossil. I haven't bought one since the first couple runs so someone else may be able to help with the current run's characteristics. If firm is your main criteria, the Pure White blend should be sufficient.

And Wizards are best bought in pairs (at least).

There isn't anything glaring about aviars, it's more like the "grass is greener" syndrome.. Or just curiosity would be a better way to put it. As far as glide though, I was hoping Wizards had a bit more if anything? For circle-ish puts, glide is hard to compare between discs I think.

Wizards carry further on drives for me, low speeds aviars do seem to stay in the air better. Its a negligible difference to me

Your best bet is to head to a store that sells them and fondle every single plastic blend they have. Pure Whites and firms sound like they'd be up your alley. If you want a little less hard check out the special blends, softs and erasers.

But like has been mentioned before, sometimes the blends of plastic change in firmness. However, it doesn't seem to affect the flight much if at all. Unless of course you get into the premium plastic blends, I have no experience there.

You're right, finding a store would be the best way to go. There aren't any near me though so it would require a special trip & time. Knowing myself, I've accepted that I'll buy a few different types before I make it to a store, as bad as it sounds.

I do like that even with variation in plastic the flight characteristics are consistent... another reason for my curiosity. For most discs you can't even trust flight characteristics in the same batch.

Wizards (in baseline) is quite consistent between runs/flex.

Again I stress high shoulder being a sign for a good wizard. Most are good though. I have some double stamps and seconds that are not higher shouldered, but all my standards lately have been great.

To be super duper honest, your probably gonna like the plastic as long as you dont get any of the multiple S plastic blends. (Super Stinkin Soft, SSSS, etc.)

To be super duper honest, your probably gonna like the plastic as long as you dont get any of the multiple S plastic blends. (Super Stinkin Soft, SSSS, etc.)

That's kinda what I'm thinking too. I'll prob just take the plunge in the next day or so. Even discs I don't use I still like having... It's nice to have a huge stack of whatever when throwing in the field. And I can always try and sell or trade!

Yeah I would say if at all possible, feel them up before buying. Of talk directly to a person that can feel them up for you and describe them and you can ask more questions. Stiff erasers are indeed superb if you can find them.

I dont like floppy putters and thus have tried to steer away from SSSS at least, but even in SSS there are some pretty darn stiff ones that I have grown to like.

I have 20 or so Wizards and still not sure what the "high shoulder" means... :D

Wizards are my favorite disc. I fondle them daily. I went on a spending spree after this discovery. My favorite putting putters are erasers and organics. They both have a rubbery/velvety touch to them (organics can differ). They are still stiff which I like. Firm, medium, S and SS make for great throwers. I'm not a fan of SSS and 4S, they start getting close to floppy.
Now... If you can track down some fossil wizards, you will find the best of both worlds. In my opinion it's the best plastic ever made for putters.

And as always... Fondle first, Buy in pairs.

Dont worey about the plastic name or flexibility. Just talk to a salesman and tell them what feel you want and they will get it for you

Even the worst Wizard is still grippier than the best Aviar.

I never understood the "firm" part being a must. That being said - there are certainly Wizards firmer than any Aviar.

The Wizard mold got tweaked quite a few years ago though, so there's actually two molds - the current Wizard mold (with thicker flight plate) and the old Proto Wizard mold, which does glide and fly farther - but will clover once they get super beat. The Nikko Wizards they recently ran (sold out) were run using the proto mold. If you somehow can find your hands on one of these, they are probably the Wizards you want.

Otherwise - I would recommend trying a Firm (relabel of Soft), SuperSoft, $ (Money), Organic, Special Blend, and Eraser Wizards. I know it's a lot, but once you figure out which one of these you like the best - it is super easy to stock up on them. The recent runs have all been consistent and not super different like the old years-past runs. If you like premium plastic - the new Diamond, Platinum, and HD plastics are all fantastic - but be forewarned, they do fly a bit shorter and do not glide as much as the baseline Wizards do.

Bear in mind that I live in Ohio, and in the fall, early spring, and all winter - SS and up are pretty much unusable (firm up too much). I use SSS, 4S, RFF, and Lunars those times of the year. So if you live in an area where you'll be throwing discs in weather 50F and below, there's nothing wrong with picking up multiple flexes of Wizards. I don't use the 4S and RFF in the summer as they are too floppy, and SSS can be too floppy as well, but once fall hits, those start coming back out.

I liked my PW wizards through a full Colorado winter. Just wished they werent white.

Latest posts