• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Wizard Selection & Procurement

Glad to hear it! You might want to go with lighter Wizards for longer putts or use something like an Omega if you're running 50-100 foot putts that you just can't juice out with the Wizard.

All the flexes and plastic blends feel overwheming to people who just want "one thing all the same" - if you like OG and you like $, they actually make a OG $ but those are very rare and sought after. Same for $ and Eraser. Or even OG Eraser $. All in all - you're never going to get tired of the feel/flex options with the Wizard. Yes, some of them will feel different. No, they don't fly different. Just stock up and pick out your favorite Wizards for the conditions that day. I have a huge variety of Wizards and change what I bag based on the weather (wet weather I go with either $ or Eraser, depending on the heat too), hot and humid weather (but not wet), I go with Special Blend or Firms. In cold weather, I go with SSSS/SSS. It feels like you're changing putters without actually changing putters.

PS: If you ever need a Wizard that holds up in 35+ mph winds without losing the feel, pick up a RDG Scale. It's the Wizard mold with a thumb divot ring on top. Flies like an overstable Wizard (mainly for super windy rounds).

Forgot to mention - I always bag two putter molds in the bag, and one of them is always the Wizard. If I'm not putting with Wizards, I'm driving with them. There is a reason why the Wizard has been known as one of the best driving putters / putters ever. I do have some advice though about the premium plastic Wizards. They are way more durable, but do not go as far - they usually go about 30 to 50 feet shorter for me across the board. But if you're looking for durability, especially on rocky courses, then by all means, use Diamond, Platinum, HD, Evolution, etc. Wizards. Just bear in mind that they aren't going to go as far. And maybe if you're looking to crank one in the woods and don't want to risk one of your baseline Wizards.

Yeah, the names for flexes are a bit misleading. I don't know if any of them get as soft as trilogy super soft. Gateway gets very granular on their flexes so the difference between them can be very small. There's also a considerable overlap, so it's not uncommon to get an SS that is softer than an SSS. Grip can also change quite a bit, so if you find a run with more or less chalk in it, that can have a big difference on grip irrespective of flex.

The grip can also change over time. Chalky wizards can lose some surface chalk and get slicker over time, and smoother blends can get more velvety over time as the plastic "opens up".

Attachments

• IMG_20160804_191138.jpg
    IMG_20160804_191138.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20181224_133415.jpg
    IMG_20181224_133415.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20190627_175746564_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190627_175746564_HDR.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 27
Forgot to mention - I always bag two putter molds in the bag, and one of them is always the Wizard. If I'm not putting with Wizards, I'm driving with them. There is a reason why the Wizard has been known as one of the best driving putters / putters ever. I do have some advice though about the premium plastic Wizards. They are way more durable, but do not go as far - they usually go about 30 to 50 feet shorter for me across the board. But if you're looking for durability, especially on rocky courses, then by all means, use Diamond, Platinum, HD, Evolution, etc. Wizards. Just bear in mind that they aren't going to go as far. And maybe if you're looking to crank one in the woods and don't want to risk one of your baseline Wizards.

I agree with the premium Wizard comment. For whatever reason...that disc just doesn't like to be molded in premium. Oh well, good thing they are made in the best baseline on the market.

I have been working with my Evo wizards and find them to be more sensitive to release angles, oat, and speed. They are definately shorter and as or more overstable than most, but hard to rely on if I am having an off day. I am better off with a fresh pure white or SB wizard.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Again I stress high shoulder being a sign for a good wizard. Most are good though. I have some double stamps and seconds that are not higher shouldered, but all my standards lately have been great.

True statements! The shoulder makes a difference. I putt with the low shoulder old school, early 2000's runs. And I have some from the recent firm Nikko run for backups, because they used the same original Wizard mold for those. Amazing putters.

However, they are too straight for throwers. High shoulder is important for throwers, that's why I throw G9i's and PW's.

Low shoulder for putts, high shoulders for drives.

I feel like the firm Nikko's with a low shoulder are some of the best throwers ever. They are dead straight stable and glidey. You can put them on any line and they'll hold it, even into a decent wind.

I've never really clicked with high-shoulder wizards. Everyone's different I guess!

Latest posts