• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

wolfhaley to KY and such. 2024

wolfhaley

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
So me and the wife will be heading down to KY for our first road trip of 2024. Louisville is the main area for the first part. I have it mapped, booked and ready to go already. I'll post my plans here. Any suggestions or whatnot is appreciated and welcomed. April 15th thru April 24th.

Day 1: To Lebanon IN
This is just driving there most likely.
Camp Cullom DGC (24) (time allowing)

Day 2: To Louisville KY
Boylan Acres-Extreme (18)
Boylan Acres-Arduous (18)
Foxlands (18)

Day 3: Louisville KY
Buffalo Trace Park (18)
Severin Lang DGC (18)
Lapping Memorial Park (18)

Day 4: Louisville KY
Ryan's Course (18)
Charlie Vettiner Park (18)
Iroquois Park (18)
Active Heroes (18)

Day 5: To Leitchfield KY
Arrowhead DGC (18)
Muldraugh DGC (18)
Radcliff Disc Golf (18)
Severns Valley DGC (9)

Day 6: To Cave City KY
Wolf Knob (18)
Holler in the Hills (18)

Day 7: To Haubstadt IN
Mammoth Cave N.P. day
Haubstadt Johnson DGC (18) (time allowing)

Day 8: To Effingham IL
Mesker Park (18)
Mesker Woods (18)
Pride's Creek Park (18)

Day 9: To Oglesby IL
Shelbyville DGC (18)
Tower Hill DGC (9)
The Spillway DGC (18)
Jo Clark Siegert DGC (18)

Day 10: Home
Starved Rock (18)
Illinois Valley Community College DGC (9)
Baker Lake Park DGC (18)
Echo Bluff (9)

That's the trip. If anyone has any better options or ideas let's hear em. This is a get the fuck out of the cold trip more than anything. My trips are always subject to change of course. I added a few of these courses recently and they have no reviews, pics, anything really. The Spillway, Starved Rock, Foxlands. The Boylan Acres listing is half assed on here too, but I'd like to play that one before splitting it into two 18 hole layouts and updating it accurate as possible.

If anyone's in the area and wants to meet up hit me up. Just figured I'd throw this out there. I always like seeing these threads myself and following along. A couple other's do too, and I slacked last year. Let me know what's up. Oh. And I know Holler is gonna be a shell of it's former glory. I'm doing it anyway.

Last edited:
Haubstaut, IN Day (IF) you can get out to play, there is a quick tight 18 hole wooded course there. It was one of the courses used for the Females at AM Worlds when they were in Evansville.

McCleansboro, IL is pretty close to Effingham and the newly built Fox Prairie resides there. Two sets of pads, mostly wooded and a very well done course, probably the best in the area, and only slightly better than Prides Creek and New Lake.

The rest of your list looks extremely solid. If your day 6 or 7 happens to fall on Saturday the 20th or Sunday the 21st I'm about 90 minutes from Holler and 2 hours from Wolf Knob if you'd like some company.

thats a solid line up im super interested to hear the quick reviews especially with some of those wildcard picks

i aint got much to add besides the same ol drivel of "open holes sucked but wooded ones were good" from the little i played of that list

mammoth cave np should be awesome too everyone i know that went said its legit af

That's the trip. If anyone has any better options or ideas let's hear em.

You may have already looked at these, but they are right on your route . . . 😁

I enjoyed Mesker Park and Mesker Woods very much. Two courses on site with woods, hills, and moderate distances. Right up my alley - perhaps yours, too.

I was sad to miss Bobby Blue Bland DGC in Leitchfield. Looks like a fun 9-hole shortie, named in honor of perhaps my favorite blues singer.

Last suggestion is Haubstadt Johnson. Looks like another fun, moderate distance course that I did not get a chance to play.

Haubstaut, IN Day (IF) you can get out to play, there is a quick tight 18 hole wooded course there. It was one of the courses used for the Females at AM Worlds when they were in Evansville.

Are you talking about Mesker Park / Mesker Woods?

Day 5: To Leitchfield KY
Arrowhead DGC (18)
Muldraugh DGC (18)
Radcliff Disc Golf (18)
Severns Valley DGC (9)
I would swap out Severns Valley for Freeman Lake. Last time I played Severns Valley there were no tee pads or tee signs. You can see the baskets, but unless you go with a local you will be guessing as to where to throw from.

I think there's a private course near Holler/Wolf knob. I don't remember the name. Sounded difficult to get on to, but doesn't hurt to inquire. *insert joke about wolf's knob*

I'll give you an update on Starved Rock if I make it out there before your trip. Starved Rock itself is really pretty, but it sounds like this course is on more normal shwillinois terrain.

McCleansboro, IL is pretty close to Effingham and the newly built Fox Prairie resides there. Two sets of pads, mostly wooded and a very well done course, probably the best in the area, and only slightly better than Prides Creek and New Lake.

The rest of your list looks extremely solid. If your day 6 or 7 happens to fall on Saturday the 20th or Sunday the 21st I'm about 90 minutes from Holler and 2 hours from Wolf Knob if you'd like some company.

Good info. 👍 Nothing after Mammoth cave is really set in stone except Pride's creek. And that's just to bag to top IN course, not that I'll love it or anything lol.

I'll check the dates for sure tonight. I was planning on PMing you anyway to see if you were available.

I would swap out Severns Valley for Freeman Lake. Last time I played Severns Valley there were no tee pads or tee signs. You can see the baskets, but unless you go with a local you will be guessing as to where to throw from.

I had Freeman Lake on the list at one point. It's still a possibility depending how tired we are at that point. Severns was just an easier bag that day. 😁

I think there's a private course near Holler/Wolf knob. I don't remember the name. Sounded difficult to get on to, but doesn't hurt to inquire. *insert joke about wolf's knob*

I'll give you an update on Starved Rock if I make it out there before your trip. Starved Rock itself is really pretty, but it sounds like this course is on more normal shwillinois terrain.

For sure let me know about Starved Rock. I added it a couple months ago. It doesn't look amazing or anything but I figured I'd check it out.

Are you talking about The Goat Path I think it's called? Not sure what the deal is with that one exactly.

Not the goat path, there was another one in the general Mammoth Cave area. Pretty sure Rodney was the only reviewer and it was sort of a private club except for leagues/tourneys (maybe they'll make an exception for an esteemed bagger such as yourself?). I looked at it when planning our trip through the area last summer. I don't see it on the map now though and good luck searching without the name.

@PastorofMuppets (love that screen name/avatar, btw) does any of that ring a bell?

Assuming you're taking 65 south to Lebanon, IN on day 1 I'd recommend trying to swing by Camp Cullom. It's maybe 10 minutes off the interstate near Frankfort (which is just north of Lebanon).

It's sorta like Toby Keith - it ain't as good as it once was, but it's as good once as it ever was.

Assuming you're taking 65 south to Lebanon, IN on day 1 I'd recommend trying to swing by Camp Cullom. It's maybe 10 minutes off the interstate near Frankfort (which is just north of Lebanon).

It's sorta like Toby Keith - it ain't as good as it once was, but it's as good once as it ever was.

That's the plan. It looked pretty solid. Depending on time of course. I didn't put it on the list because I'm not for sure on it

Not the goat path, there was another one in the general Mammoth Cave area. Pretty sure Rodney was the only reviewer and it was sort of a private club except for leagues/tourneys (maybe they'll make an exception for an esteemed bagger such as yourself?). I looked at it when planning our trip through the area last summer. I don't see it on the map now though and good luck searching without the name.

@PastorofMuppets (love that screen name/avatar, btw) does any of that ring a bell?
Rock River Ranch (It is still listed on the U-Disc) in Bowling Green. It is private, requires a minimum 48 hour notification, and you must either be a member or invited by a member to play. The bonus is, first round is FREE if you are invited to play. Otherwise you must pay a membership. I can't find the "price" for a membership but there is contact info on the course info section on U-Disc.

Day 6 is on a Saturday, PM sent. Haubstadt Johnson is added to the day 7 itinerary now time permitting. Doubtful but possible. Fox Prairie is wishlisted but probably won't be this trip.

You may have already looked at these, but they are right on your route . . . 😁

I enjoyed Mesker Park and Mesker Woods very much. Two courses on site with woods, hills, and moderate distances. Right up my alley - perhaps yours, too.

Last suggestion is Haubstadt Johnson. Looks like another fun, moderate distance course that I did not get a chance to play.

I honestly didn't look at Evansville really at all. Mesker park and woods are now both added to the day 8 itinerary. Dumped New Lake, Hillcrest park and Flora Rotary DGC. Kept Pride's Creek though. May squeeze Haubstadt Johnson in that day too if I can't get it on day 7.

Much appreciated gentlemen. This is why I need to keep doing these roadtrip threads.

martial arts fist bump GIF by Shaw Brothers

That's the plan. It looked pretty solid. Depending on time of course. I didn't put it on the list because I'm not for sure on it
April is a good time to play it since it shouldn't be overgrown by then. The baskets suck and the tee pads are pretty much washed out by now but the skeleton of a good course is still there. It'd be a great way to stretch your legs out after a long trip if you do manage to squeeze it in though

After ArrowHead and Muldraugh (both excellent choices) hit the Dodge Store in Muldraugh for a fried burrito and corn dog.
Also, April is rainy season here, if after the triple mando on hole 1 under the road at Muldraugh, is ponded up anywhere out to circle 2 you may want to play safe lines throughout the rest of the course.

re: Wolf Knob - I'd approach it from the north side as last fall I was coming from the south and ran into the closed Green River car ferry within the park and it cost me 40 minutes to detour.

We did our guys' weekend trip last spring to Evansville (and hit Holler and both Madisonville 18ers on the way up). I really enjoyed Mesker Park and Mesker Woods (it was course #500 for me).

But if you're in Evansville, I have one MUST of a recommendation: GO TO DONUT BANK!

Best doughnuts ever. ❤️🍩