• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would anyone like to come to Dallas to learn my snap method?

Speaking of Dallas, I'll be int he area next week :)
14th - 17th, Most likely on able to play on the 14th. Possibly the 16th. 15th is definitely out of the question.

sorry, but what exactly is this snap method you speak of?
did you talk about it in another thread or something?

black udder said:
emiller3 said:
Can't make it down there, but I'd be interested in buying a video of it, even if it's just through paypal and you email me the file or stick it out on my iDisk.

I'd be willing to go this route too.

X3

Assuming that you are able to record this, I think it would be advantageous to record a slow motion, overhead view of what is taking place. Sort of like the view on the Fundamentals video with Climo.

Let us know when this is going to happen, and I'll try to be there too.

Some of the stuff you mentioned last weekend out at Cedar Hill really got me thinking...especially what you said about how the center of gravity (ie - the center of the disc) is what you really want to propel forward in a straight line. I'm not sure how much that ties into snap, but for me it was a totally new way of thinking about my drive. I tried very hard to focus on it when I played at Rockwall yesterday, and I had some of my longest drives ever on the long open holes.

ps - Brad, when are you going to talk Blake into moving to Dallas so we can have both of you guys as disc golf gurus? ;)

Brad, when are you going to talk Blake into moving to Dallas so we can have both of you guys as disc golf gurus?

And then you all could make a trip to Texarkana and spread the wealth. I'll make sure I will be there if that happens. :D

RustyP said:
Some of the stuff you mentioned last weekend out at Cedar Hill really got me thinking...especially what you said about how the center of gravity (ie - the center of the disc) is what you really want to propel forward in a straight line.

Not the snap... the SMASH. The lever arm leads to the SMASH. That is the *jump* the disc makes as it leaves the hand. The disc can be accelarated faster than the hand is moving.

Maybe as powerful as the snap... maybe more.

The whole lever explanation is what made it click in my head, but it is hard to really put such terms into words. I watch a lot of history channel where they explain medieval weapons that used lever principals to hurl projectiles, so it made it a little easier to grasp the concept for me.

I taught my neighbor's kid some of my method. He got it after about 4 throws. He cannot do it every time, but he understands snap now. He made a throw and his little hand went "POW"!!!!

He is 10.

I've got a question about the snap method. Should I do it at the very end of the throw just before the disc rips out of my hand? That is the way I've been practicing it, but I wanted to make sure I'm doing it at the correct point during the throw.

I think some of the easy ways to picture it are releasing as close to your chest as possible, and keeping your grip loose right up until you get halfway across your chest. The better your timing gets, the louder you can snap. Just remember the feeling when you smash. The right pec drill seems indicative of where it happens.

When I snapped the disc so hard one of my tendons hurt the rest of the day (one of my longest shots), my grip felt unusually loose, or more accurately relaxed until very late in the throw. Later than any of my normal throws I believe, I think I just got lucky and tightened my grip just in time to avoid whatever happens when you don't grip soon enough.

So any idea when we are going to see a write up? :p Anyone care to share any more details on it? I have been working on it as much as I can based on things given so far with nice results, but I think more will push me over the ledge.

Bradley Walker said:
So far no takers. :cry:

Dude if I lived anywhere near Texas I'da been there already.

All I have to do is convince my girlfriend that she wants to take a vacation to Texas and watch me get better at disc golf...should be any easy sell. :roll:

uNicedmeMan said:
All I have to do is convince my girlfriend that she wants to take a vacation to Texas and watch me get better at disc golf

Now there is a method I would travel to learn.