• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would love to have a video critique on driving form.

So my leg should be lower because I need better weight shift forward before the hit? I was reviewing Dan Beato's throw and I analyzed Dan Beato's throw and his left leg seems to be fairly high. I have included the video below and stop the video at time 0:24. So is the difference in why he is doing it correctly and I'm not is my weight is not shifting forward correctly, but he is? If this is the case height is not always as good of an indicator as seeing the body move forward where as mine seems to go more up. Or, I'm not quite understanding how you are explaining it. I'm still trying to get better at understanding everyone's scientific wording here.Takes me four times to get a better understanding of it. Maybe I should read it more before I responded to this. Either way, I will try and keep my leg lower. It just feels so natural for me to do it when i'm pushing off and following through. Is there anything I am doing better this time around in my throw? You say my hip and shoulders move some. Sounds like I'm not doing near as much as I should prior to the snap. Am I correct? I need to know if I'm going in the right direction. Or if I need to slow down the drill and begin again at just the chest and accelerate forward. I do not want to move too quickly if I'm not having correct throwing form. From what I have gathered on your critique this time is leg needs to be lower on the push off to allow better weight transfer and I need to open up my hips and shoulders more during the last part of the pull through. I think I also need to get the disc more at my right pec before I start to pull the disc through. Am I missing anything?

Thanks again for the comments.

Andrew

To my understanding the left leg rise of Dan is the weakest link in his form which is otherwise good. But i think he is going for Feldy type left leg kick he just does not do it like Feldy does it -more effectively countering the arm movement. The left leg kick should be a mirror to the elbow straightening. That is why the airborne Feldy type kick should move parallel to the ground at a constant height.

The rising of the leg is the symptom and as such should not be corrected but the cause should. The cause is not pushing forward enough with the left leg. That is parallel to the ground. Achieving that will automatically lower the left leg follow through height so watching that does work well as a diagnosing tool. To be able to push parallel to the ground a few tricks help. Rising to the left toe at the rip like Avery Jenkins does and bending the knees for a lower stance say 110 degree or a little higher will help in pushing forward.

A good left leg push has the foot and knee farther away from the target at the hit than the butt. In order to get there in a throw where you are not running full tilt the only way to get into that position is to push quickly and very hard with the left leg. Doing that will automatically make the hips twist faster and you are ahead of the majority of players in that area already so i would not worry so much about it. There is only polishing left in that area. Overdoing trying to yank as fast as possible usually reduces accuracy and consistency and for some reduces distance. More effort for less distance=a fatigued player scoring worse. No joy so there sure is the law of diminishing returns at work here.

Latest posts