• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Would the Vision be a good step up for me?

AdamCaudle

Double Eagle Member
I am now pushing my Teebirds and stalkers out to about 310-330 now and was wondering if the Vision would be a good step up distance driver for me?

if you want to learn to throw with a completely different style, by all means. visions are damn flippy. particularly the goldline. If youre going to switch to them as your primary, youre going to have to start throwing with a TON more hyzer on your release.

if you want to learn to throw with a completely different style, by all means. visions are damn flippy. particularly the goldline. If youre going to switch to them as your primary, youre going to have to start throwing with a TON more hyzer on your release.

Hmmm. I kind of like hyzer flips, but I don't know if I want something THAT flippy. What about a striker? I really wanna try lat 64, and I'm almost at the point where I think I need to step up and get a distance disc again.

Hmmm. I kind of like hyzer flips, but I don't know if I want something THAT flippy. What about a striker? I really wanna try lat 64, and I'm almost at the point where I think I need to step up and get a distance disc again.

the vision is the best understable disc out of the box ive ever thrown.

i loved my gl striker too, rest its soul. like a slightly faster star tl and feels great coming off the hand (rim is angled out a touch).

pick up both. and a core. and maybe a halo.:thmbup:

and join the Lat 64 group.:hfive:

Striker isn't bad, it's a pretty neutral (stable disc) but I'd say try throwing a Sidewinder or Valkyrie if you want more distance, they won't get flippy on you and are super easy to control.

wow you dont know your discs, dude.:\

sidewinders are quite understable and valks can be, depending on the plastic and the run.

I was essentially just giving him advice on a step up from the Vision, the Sidewinder and Valk are definitely not as flippy as a Vision. Sounds like he wants to try understable which is what I was suggesting, if you have decent form they shouldn't get flippy on you if you're throwing them around 300 ft. I did forget to mention get star plastic, so they're slightly more stable.

I was essentially just giving him advice on a step up from the Vision, the Sidewinder and Valk are definitely not as flippy as a Vision. Sounds like he wants to try understable which is what I was suggesting, if you have decent form they shouldn't get flippy on you if you're throwing them around 300 ft. I did forget to mention get star plastic, so they're slightly more stable.

He was asking what to step up from a Teebird. Read the thread before you reply.

So your looking for a stable neutral distance driver? I'd suggest the Orc. If you want a control str8 driver and Lat64 I'd go with the Striker...it's a fun disc that essentially flies like a T-bird but seems to go a bit further and blasphemous as it is to say has pulled many a T-bird out of a lot people's bags to my knowledge.

Assuming you are a 300-330 foot RHBH thrower.

I really don't think a Vision is a step up from a Teebird or Stalker. It is a totally different disc.

The Vision (opto) is a great turnover disc if you want to make a disc turn right and stay right using your backhand and arching your back. You will get that. IF you want to get a disc to do the Hyzer Flip easily, it will do that, but it fights to make that last turn back. I love my Vision and have a heavy and light one, but really only use them for Anhyzers.

The Striker (opto) should just go straight out for you with a little tail to the right. It really should not be moving left much. it is more of a Teebird replacement, except that I don't find it to handle headwinds as well as the Teebird. Plus, as the Teebird gets beat in it becomes the Stalker/TL. So, I actually carry the Teebird, Stalker, and Striker!

If you want a disc that is fairly easy to Hyzer flip, with your distance ability on the Teebird, I HIGHLY recommend you trying a 160-163 R-Pro Boss. This really seems to be the way to go for me, as we throw about the same distance. I can Hyzer Flip this out further than anything else I own. It is due to the weight and it's low speed over-stablility that fits our speed of throw. You also might try a 165-167 Katana.

I really hope this helps you bro.

I suggest you try a Riot, or the new disc from Lat64's sister company, the Westside Northman.

I had thrown a Valkyrie as my main distance driver, and as a hyzer flip disc, they work well. My issue with them was that if I pulled them or gave them a bit of OAT, I would lose them to the right. (RHBH) But for something that is more Teebird-like, I would look at four models:

Striker - will make a slight high speed turn, then come back, seemed nice and glidey
Avenger X - is bit overstable to start, but breaks in to a slight turning disc, with a stronger fade back. I helped mine with a bit of "tuning" (the Z is more overstable)
Orion LF - I threw this a couple months back, need to retest, fairly stable, more forgiving.
PD - for me, this was the closest to Teebird flight, straight, flat flight, a decent fade at the end.

At my power (340-350) none of these discs are hyzer flip discs. Maybe as they beat in, they could be, especially the S/MOLF and the Avenger X. Also, my testing was a bit limited, but the advice I was given and reading I did seems similar to the above summary. I seem to get about the same distance out of these as I did my Valk, but with a flatter release, and better control. Because of the stable nature and bigger fades, even if I pull it or turn them over, they seem to come back a bit.

I chose the Avenger, both Z and X, for now because I really like the Predator, and the Avenger feels very close in hand to it, so I have overstable, slightly overstable, and stable, with a similar feel/release, and as they beat in, should have a nice progression...

Last edited:
i would go with what toothy said, either the Powder Driver by DiscMania or get an orc/viking/valk/or beast probably get a beast you might be surprised

i'd sugest a riot as well. its my go to driver. very controlable and consistant. if your looking for something with some more distance go with a halo, i can chuck that thing as far as my katana. the vision is a really good disc but not for just distance. i always use it for control turnovers and like others have said, it will take some adjustment.

I had thrown a Valkyrie as my main distance driver, and as a hyzer flip disc, they work well. My issue with them was that if I pulled them or gave them a bit of OAT, I would lose them to the right. (RHBH) But for something that is more Teebird-like, I would look at four models:

Striker - will make a slight high speed turn, then come back, seemed nice and glidey
Avenger X - is bit overstable to start, but breaks in to a slight turning disc, with a stronger fade back. I helped mine with a bit of "tuning" (the Z is more overstable)
Orion LF - I threw this a couple months back, need to retest, fairly stable, more forgiving.
PD - for me, this was the closest to Teebird flight, straight, flat flight, a decent fade at the end.

At my power (340-350) none of these discs are hyzer flip discs. Maybe as they beat in, they could be, especially the S/MOLF and the Avenger X. Also, my testing was a bit limited, but the advice I was given and reading I did seems similar to the above summary. I seem to get about the same distance out of these as I did my Valk, but with a flatter release, and better control. Because of the stable nature and bigger fades, even if I pull it or turn them over, they seem to come back a bit.

I chose the Avenger, both Z and X, for now because I really like the Predator, and the Avenger feels very close in hand to it, so I have overstable, slightly overstable, and stable, with a similar feel/release, and as they beat in, should have a nice progression...

I should note, AC, that distance wise we are fairly close. My Teebirds were at about the 320-330 mark. I switched to Gazelles/Eagles as my main fairways (more workable) then pulled the Teebird out, and added the stable speed 9 disc for a bit more D. My 340-350 is with the Avenger/PD/OLF/Striker mix. I just added the Surge to help me get to the 375 mark, which I only use on big open drives.

FWIW, I like your setup, staying with the slower drivers.

He was asking what to step up from a Teebird. Read the thread before you reply.

I'd say a Valkyrie wouldn't be a bad step up from a Teebird. I read the thread and most people expressed a Vision would be too flippy therefore I suggested a star Sidewinder or Valk not as flippy as a Vision but a similar speed. I personally think it'd be a step up from the Teebird and definitely a better choice throwing 300 ft. than a Vision.

My arm sucks so I won't offer up a specific choice, but anything from Latitude is worth your time. Vision is understable and glides real well. Striker is great, but would probably be a sub for the Teebird not a step up. Beyond that my arm is too weak. Get some opinions from the guys on here that have thrown a ton of Latitude and then go with a few of them. Riot, Halo, XXX or whatever seems to get a ton of support.

PD simply b/c they'd feel very familiar for a Teebird thrower. S or C PD if you want something a little beefier, P PD if you want straightness.

PD simply b/c they'd feel very familiar for a Teebird thrower. S or C PD if you want something a little beefier, P PD if you want straightness.

I've been thinking about the PD as an option too. But I'm thinking of picking up something I can hyzer-flip for D, but nothing too flippy. Is the valkyrie the right disc for that? Or maybe even an Orc?