• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wraith love - post your stories

I've been a destroyer thrower for a long time but am thinking about trying the wraith. I am around a 400' thrower. Would there be any advantage to using a wraith over a destroyer or will there be pretty similar results?

I've been a destroyer thrower for a long time but am thinking about trying the wraith. I am around a 400' thrower. Would there be any advantage to using a wraith over a destroyer or will there be pretty similar results?
More control on shorter shots and easier to turnover. Honestly if you are throwing 400 accurately with a destroyer a wraith probably doesn't have a spot in your bag.

It's worth trying for sure. You'll notice it to be slower and not as OS. You might be able to hit the same lines with less effort.

Mild turn to mild/moderate fade (in star). If you have Destroyers that fly like this for you, then it should be pretty similar. If you're trying to find more Destroyers that fly like that for you...then Wraith is probably a good bet. I haven't thrown enough Wraiths to know if I get a distance difference between them and Destroyers. But at our power level Wraiths have a good golf shot turn and consistent golf shot fade. Whereas with some Destroyers they will feel like they have a positive HSS, massive fade, and will be 70' shorter. But star Wraiths fly the same lines as the kind of Destroyers that I like.

I throw just a touch further than you and I've backed down to Traces from destroyers/defenders/octanes/etc. I've noticed maybe 15 (and I mean maybe...) of distance loss, but I've gained a whole bunch of accuracy and have dropped strokes because of it. I don't have to worry about backing off and not getting the complete flip out of it. If you would prefer Wraiths they fly pretty darn similarly. Unless you constantly have to mash something 450++ then I see no need for anything above speed 11. I used to throw Wraiths a lot and then dropped them to seek higher speed stuff, then came back to speed 11s. It's difficult to beat one into the flippy bomber spot, which is why I haven't picked them back up yet. Still a fantastic and underrated mold.

Last edited:
http://i.imgur.com/aJtfY6U.jpg

I picked up this PFN Wraith the other day. Very excited to hopefully throw it this afternoon.

Related to rusch_bag's question about trying out a wraith instead of a destroyer, I say give it a shot. As a 350' thrower, I have a tendency to lose wraiths because I'm trying to throw them far, which leads to bad shots and lost discs. With my form and arm speed I'm able to throw teebirds way more consistently and accurately than wraiths, and have started throwing teebirds on a many shots where I used to throw wraiths because I'm better off sacrificing 15-25 ft of distance for the increased control.

Backing off the destroyer to the 11 speed wraith will likely give you some increased accuracy because you'll be able to throw it without feeling like you have to try to crush it.

Me and my buddy who I play with all the time swear bottom stamp wraiths fly the best. Anyone have any input on this or is it just us?

Also pro wraiths are great to beat in fast and have a good flippy wraith to match a new star.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My bottom stamp star Wraith is very HSS and is great for flicks. My pro Wraith is a flippy bomber. Which is best? Dunno. They're both pretty badass for what they are.

=august dupree;3215218 Which is best?

Flatter patent # champs with a stiff feel ;) I still miss mine.

Side-question what's the closest analog from other manufacturers? I don't like any of the current wraiths I've thrown minus a stiff pro I lost.

Double edit: forgot I do love my new glow wraith. 167 grams of flat money. Sadly, the ones I held in-person seemed to have a lot of dome variation.

Last edited:
Considering picking up a stable, wind-fighting wraith to throw into headwinds and reduce # of molds in the bag.

I currently bag a 168g star wraith that pretty much just gets thrown for FH D. For a wraith that doesn't get tossed around in the wind, am I looking for a star, champ, glow champ or MF? Domey or flat? Max weight eh?

EDIT: By the way I don't have the arm for a disc this speed thrown BH other than into a headwind, really.

If you want star, bring your Wraith in and grab one with a higher PLH, or try a Discmania S-DD.

I don't like champ drivers so can't advise on that.

Considering picking up a stable, wind-fighting wraith to throw into headwinds and reduce # of molds in the bag.

I currently bag a 168g star wraith that pretty much just gets thrown for FH D. For a wraith that doesn't get tossed around in the wind, am I looking for a star, champ, glow champ or MF? Domey or flat? Max weight eh?

EDIT: By the way I don't have the arm for a disc this speed thrown BH other than into a headwind, really.

Have you tried the Streamline Trace? The Ace stamped neutrons are SUPER nice and they fly like slightly worn Star Wraiths for sub 400 foot arms. I've got one at 174 and 172 and i they both hold up great in a headwind without being super beefcake when it's not windy. I also like the grip of the nuetron its similar to star but more buttery. Just a thought.

Otherwise, a Star Wraith is a good option and it will season over time but still maintain its stability in the wind for a long time.

I don't have a huge arm either and I've settled on a 168g champion with a slight dome and some blizzard bubbles in the rim. Beefy but light enough that it's still workable. Picked up a 175g MF a while back that is a meathook.

In other wraith love news, I found an older echo star 172g 8/10 in a used bin. Flat and a little less tacky plastic than the newer stamped E* wraiths. It's a straight bomber with decent fade. Is the stamp pictured from 1st run E*, prototype, etc? I've seen the same type stamp on different molds.

Attachments

• estar wraith.jpg
    estar wraith.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 40
I received a Pro Wraith as a gift last summer, but couldn't control the crazy fade at the end of its flight, so I took it out of my bag. But then I watched Jeremy Koling's Innova "In the Bag" video this summer, and he said he learned how to throw sidearm with a Pro Wraith when he was six years old. So I tried it sidearm one day and it was instant love. Unfortunately I lost it a few weeks later, and replaced it with a Pro Beast which is a bit easier to control.

I grabbed a 168g Star Wraith the other day, it has the emboss tooling like current run Destroyers have. Plastic is pretty soft and slick. It had a gentle to moderate turn right out of the box, would turn pretty significantly in a headwind. I don't have a big arm at all so I imagine that these soft embossed Wraiths are less stable than your average Wraith

Latest posts