• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] XL Replacement

Buiscutboy

Double Eagle Member
So I've finally come to terms with the XL being oop. It only took three years. I think? I don't know. I haven't played in two years. And now I'm thinking about it while there's five feet of snow.

Anyway. The desired flight path is around a 7/4/-1/2 at around 300 feet. That's how they flew for me. Some were beefier, some were flipper, but that was the average.

I don't enjoy shallow rims, which puts alot of these newfangled discs out of the running. I also used to cycle DX Eagles, and still have all of them. They do glide a bit more than I like though. The JLS seems extremely similar on paper but I found out that it has a shallow rim today. Maybe I'll have to get over rim depth. There's alot of discs I haven't tried because of a millimeter of plastic.

Oh, and no Patriots. I can't throw those, my dad throws those. Jeez. I might live 1700 miles away from him, but still.

Anyway, any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

So I've finally come to terms with the XL being oop. It only took three years. I think? I don't know. I haven't played in two years. And now I'm thinking about it while there's five feet of snow.

Anyway. The desired flight path is around a 7/4/-1/2 at around 300 feet. That's how they flew for me. Some were beefier, some were flipper, but that was the average.

I don't enjoy shallow rims, which puts alot of these newfangled discs out of the running. I also used to cycle DX Eagles, and still have all of them. They do glide a bit more than I like though. The JLS seems extremely similar on paper but I found out that it has a shallow rim today. Maybe I'll have to get over rim depth. There's alot of discs I haven't tried because of a millimeter of plastic.

Oh, and no Patriots. I can't throw those, my dad throws those. Jeez. I might live 1700 miles away from him, but still.

You can still find the XL pretty easily. Discraft seems to run a lot of limited releases of it two. Sunking has swirly esp, and ledgestone is running big z ones this year.

What Titan said. No need to give up on it yet. My guess is, you'll get a LE run each year for a few seasons to come. I was an XL thrower, and I am again with Infinite's release and the upcoming Ledgstones. If the XL well ever dries up, My X Undertaker fills the spot decently.
Infinite19ac228f.jpg

What Titan said. No need to give up on it yet. My guess is, you'll get a LE run each year for a few seasons to come. I was an XL thrower, and I am again with Infinite's release and the upcoming Ledgstones. If the XL well ever dries up, My X Undertaker fills the spot decently.
Infinite19ac228f.jpg

I saw the ones on infinite discs, how do they feel/fly?

Loving mine. Not the slick hard ESP (the very last run of XLs that I had.) Tacky but rigid. As far as the flight, flies true to the numbers. Buy them up, and save some backups!

Agree that you'll probably still be able to find them for a while. But if you're really looking for a replacement and an Eagle-L glides too much for you, you could try an Axiom Crave or maybe a Mantis? I found the Crave to be a glideless turd but they seem to be popular and the flight path is similar. Depending on the plastic, a Mantis will be faster but not that far off on overall flight path.

An FD will have even more glide than an Eagle. My first suggestion would have been an Icon Patriot but oh well.

I recommend an axiom crave. I throw mine about 280'-290'. I'd rate my plasma crave as 7/5/-1/2 at that distance. I think the plasma ones have a bit more glide than the proton ones. They are a super solid fairway.

I always thought Gold Line Rivers were XL's in a Swedish costume.

The funny thing is I switched from rivers to XLs. I found I had more control with it without the stupid amount of glide.

Honestly, I'll probably ignore everyone's suggestions and stick with the XL. It is my favorite disc. Maybe try a JLS if there's a sudden shortage.

It's all conjecture at this point anyway. I know some people like winter golf, but being cold and wet and trudging through snow over my knees just doesn't sound like a great time to me.

JLS is a wonderful mold, don't let the numbers fool you. I, too, hate real shallow molds yet I threw them for years - never seemed to bug me...that's my first recommendation for sure. Honerable mention to the Crave as well - they cannot replace one another truly (XL or JLS) but have similar enough flights that release angle is the main factor.

The main reason I'm posting here? Good to see you back:thmbup:

JLS is a wonderful mold, don't let the numbers fool you. I, too, hate real shallow molds yet I threw them for years - never seemed to bug me...that's my first recommendation for sure. Honerable mention to the Crave as well - they cannot replace one another truly (XL or JLS) but have similar enough flights that release angle is the main factor.

The main reason I'm posting here? Good to see you back:thmbup:

Thanks. I probably shouldn't be back, I'll just start buying frisbees and sit around wishing I was disc golfing.

Another bonus point for the JLS is the plastic variety. My favorite XL is actually the X, which thankfully no one else seems to like based on online store stock. I just enjoy Pro ish plastics. DX Eagles flew nice, but they chunked up so easily. X seems to be the best blend of durability and me actually being able to break it in. I have no experience with M, but I'm sure its fine.

I had the XL become oop as soon as I needed a new Z XL in early 2017. Well I used a Stalker in place of the Z XL and a Stalker is almost the old ESP XL in flight minus the hard end dump all XL are known for.

The Mantis, JLS, and Crave are three that should be somewhat similar. The Mantis and JLS are available in X/pro plastic in addition to premium, so you can cover a good spectrum of stability by varying the plastics. I would recommend either one to replace the XL. The Mantis will have a bigger rim than the JLS if that's gonna be an issue. Crave is a good disc too, I just don't like how slick Gyro plastic feels in my hand. Some of the neutron plastic feels like solidified Crisco.

The Gateway Sabre might be a good fit, in Diamond plastic they should go well with the flight numbers you listed, the Platinums will probably have a bit more glide and turn.

I had the XL become oop as soon as I needed a new Z XL in early 2017. Well I used a Stalker in place of the Z XL and a Stalker is almost the old ESP XL in flight minus the hard end dump all XL are known for.

That is a Z Stalker, got backups, 6 by mistake in early 2019 thinking the mold was going oop. Turns out nope just Discraft people clearing out the old Z stamp for new with the flight numbers.

But the hard dump is something I like. Though I have to say that is a statement I never thought I'd make. I like when my discs decisively fade out, not this wishy washy "Eh, maybe I'll hit the ground here, maybe in 30 feet, who knows?"

But the hard dump is something I like. Though I have to say that is a statement I never thought I'd make. I like when my discs decisively fade out, not this wishy washy "Eh, maybe I'll hit the ground here, maybe in 30 feet, who knows?"

Here is the thing, Mold of Stalker is Going forward but to the ground in its dump flight yet still going forward, it is a more easy to predict fade over the XL where the fade one has to adjust the disc to counter how far left it goes and that with XL varies from disc to disc if the dome is not nearly the same as the old disc you have. The Stalker will be more point and shoot but still enough dump to do what it needs. Really it is more a quick Fade to the ground and slow Dump to the disc while in that one spot of 10-15 feet getting forward momentum. I have never had Stalker unpredictable from where it lands, that is more for discs like Valkyrie/Dragon where getting accidental air bounce to keep going is easy with the mold.

Last edited:

Latest posts