• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] xXx or Trident?

bdodson

Birdie Member
Premium Member
Lat64 throwers what do you think? I have an opto trident and am liking it. Some people are saying the XXX is close to a firebird, but it seems the firebird speed rankings are faster.....i am looking for a slower driver with a huge hook, similar to these two discs (trident and xxx)........comments? suggestions?

The Trident is a speed 5 and xXx is a speed 7 - other than that, their #S are the same across the board.

So if you want slow, stick with your trident.

XXX has got the huge hook, that's for sure... it's been too long since I last threw a FB, so I can't comment on the speed comparison, but i do believe they're similar.

I can't comment on the XXX but I understand it to be hella stable

I thought the Trident was a Spd 7

in any event the Trident is a decent little disc...like a mini Firebird
they seem to have a nice high PLH and a super flat top

hence lots of stability

as they are not super fast you can get a decent enough yank on one to get it up to speed
not a distance disc, but useful when windy, predictable

I want to use a Spd 7 bag for practice rounds and the Trident fills the overstable slot, Eagles X and L the stable to understable, and then the usual mix of mids and putters

I carry both in my bag because I use them for different shot. I use the trident for hyzer shot and accurate overhand shot. I use the XXX for flick rollers, long range over hand shots and side flicks. they fly completely different for these range of shots, except for maybe a straight hyzer.

If you are digging the Trident stick with it. You can always get a XXX later if the honeymoon ends.

right now i use a gummy monster for thumbers and tommies.....there is a couple holes i need some huge turns that i don't know i can get from the trident or the drone (low ceiling because of trees but then up about 8 feet onto a hill where the basket sits back......nasty dog leg left). also up at the dam we have some 90 degree turns, the 45 degrees (or it feels like) up the hill after the turn.......so it was either try the XXX, whippet or trident and i don't know the trident has enough......(gummy monster does pretty well but sometimes i get too deep into the woods before the turn)

If you are needing the "Huge Hook" I would highly recommend a XXX. They are a great utility disc. I have also heard people compare it to a Firebird but I can throw a Firebird much farther than a XXX. The XXX is slooow but for tight wooded courses with sharp turns I don't think it can be beat.

I carry a Trident as well and for me it is like a faster XXX with less stability. Both discs are very stable and great in different situations but if you are looking for a "Meat Hook" you can't go wrong with the XXX.

This is just my opinion of course, hope this helps.

Been playing with a trident the past couple weeks. It is very easy to throw a flex shot that doesn't finish with crazy fade and skip like XXX's do.

The firebird i have (champ) has more glide than my xxx's and not nearly as much fade.

sweet

awesome input. my trident is clear with a hint of yellow and can't seem to find a darker one - and i just mean with some color so it is not so see through - if anyone has one to move let me know........also i did purchase a gold line XXX so we'll see how it handles the turns when i get it.

Reviving an old thread.

I'm looking into getting a Trident or a XXX or both. I can't really decide as to whether I would need both or not.

I'm guessing Opto would be the way to go too since it's like Champion plastic and all.

Before I start spending my money. :doh: :) What do you guys suggest?

I was going to ask this same question! Thanks for reviving this thread StarFirebird! I'm going to Disc Nation's store next week and I'm hoping to pick up one of these...

I have a GL Trident and love it (when I throw it - right now I am using all Discraft). I also have both the Opto and GL XXXs. Also great discs - I got the GL first and bought the Opto when I thought I had lost the GL. When I put a mixed bag together these days, the Opto is there. My game has migrated away from using longer discs, so I would suggest a Trident to start, if you are dead set on one or the other.

I was going to ask this same question! Thanks for reviving this thread StarFirebird! I'm going to Disc Nation's store next week and I'm hoping to pick up one of these...

No Problem man. :thmbup:

I'm looking to mold myself a Fairway Type bag. As of late I've had some shoulder issues and I've rediscovered the greatness of throwing speed 7 or less discs.I had a clean drive Sunday with one of my Teebird's and threw it 380ft.It was sweet. Anyways. I feel the Trident,XXX or both would be the best bet for my overstable, Utility disc duties for the bag.

I have a GL Trident and love it (when I throw it - right now I am using all Discraft). I also have both the Opto and GL XXXs. Also great discs - I got the GL first and bought the Opto when I thought I had lost the GL. When I put a mixed bag together these days, the Opto is there. My game has migrated away from using longer discs, so I would suggest a Trident to start, if you are dead set on one or the other.

I'm like you man. The only Max Distance Drivers I use now are the Archon and the Wraith. Everything Else in my bag is either a Speed 7 or lower.

Thanks for the info. :thmbup:

I'm like you man. The only Max Distance Drivers I use now are the Archon and the Wraith. Everything Else in my bag is either a Speed 7 or lower.

Definitely depends on the course: open vs. wooded, long vs. short. I threw Nuke and Crush a lot playing a Rock Creek round after US Masters this past Saturday. But on most courses it's mids all day. If I'm using my mixed tourney bag, it's Teebirds and Saints for longer duties. MAYBE the Nuke or Wraith on occasion. I need to get some more OS Discraft fairways...

Reviving an old thread.

I'm looking into getting a Trident or a XXX or both. I can't really decide as to whether I would need both or not.

I'm guessing Opto would be the way to go too since it's like Champion plastic and all.

Before I start spending my money. :doh: :) What do you guys suggest?

I own both - Trident in Opto and XXX in GL.

I don't remember who described them to me like this, so apologies for the lack of credit... but I'm going to paraphrase what was said to me when I asked this same question some time ago.

The Trident flies in an L shape, and the XXX flies in a C shape. The Trident definitely has a certain amount of time that it holds its line, then it fades. The XXX starts its fade almost immediately.

I use the XXX in situations where I need to turn a corner OMFGRIGHTNOW. The Trident is better used as a forehand disc and sort of like an overstable mid.

All things considered, I probably end up throwing my Trident about three times as much as my XXX, and there are courses that I don't even bag the XXX for, whereas the Trident has a permanent spot.

XXX is one of my main discs and a love of mine. I have a heavy opto I use for RHBH hyzer spikes and flicks. I had a trident but i didnt have a slot for it. Anytime i didnt want the XXX i just threw the zone.

sunken top trident????

My Gold Line Trident has a sunken top, is this normal. I have a feeling my is a defect, but I don't know.... It is ridiculously over stable, almost how I am picturing the stiletto being.

Just got through ordering both of them. I really like the durability and the grip of the Gold Line plastic so I got both of them at 170 grams in this plastic.

Should be here in 2 weeks. :thmbup:

Hi all, my normal utility disc is a max weight Gateway Evo Spirit.
Just wondering how the Trident, XXX, and Stiletto compare in speed, fade and plastic.
I'm a 350ft thrower so I won't ask about glide or turn. The Spirit is the meathook of my bag.
I use the Spirit as my "Got to get around, what ever it is in front of me" Disc.

Thanks for any feed back.