• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

You bought lifetime supply of a favorite mold?

For 10 years or so, i always bought multiples and backups of discs i bag. They are still in the cellar waiting for the main disc to be lost...

By now companies released new discs, new plastics, new stamps, completely new companies appeared and there are so many nice shiny new discs around that i can't wait to lose some discs, use up the replacement pile and then go to town and try shiny new plastic :D

By now every company has an Aviar, a Buzzz, a Teebird etc. It would be silly to insist that any disc is irreplacable.

For 10 years or so, i always bought multiples and backups of discs i bag. They are still in the cellar waiting for the main disc to be lost...

By now companies released new discs, new plastics, new stamps, completely new companies appeared and there are so many nice shiny new discs around that i can't wait to lose some discs, use up the replacement pile and then go to town and try shiny new plastic :D

By now every company has an Aviar, a Buzzz, a Teebird etc. It would be silly to insist that any disc is irreplacable.

With the exception of beat-in discs that aren't replaceable with even the same mold, what you say might be the end of hoarding discs.

(Hahaha, not likely :D )

No such thing.

There is a disc out there that flies just like that even out of the box. Just have to find it.

In principle I agree.

Looking for 'the one' and asking on DGCR can be disappointing. Close isn't always good enough. What disc flies exactly like a 166g beat-in Essence? I hadn't found a disc that flies like an Essence at all. Tried Heat, Leo3, Saint, River, Sidewinder, Relay, Archangel…

My bag has been pretty much unchanged over the past 10 years. I've accumulated a life time supply of every mold in the bag in that time naturally. I have a life time supply of KC aviars, rocs in every plastic, eagles, firebirds and destroyers. I have to actively not buy discs. I like so many of them but need zero of them and they aren't any better or worse then what I have bought over the years. I am going to try to not purchase anything new in my lifetime (not a joke). Hopefully nothing groundbreaking comes out in the next 30 years or so.

If you don't have something that you think you are going to throw forever then its hard to justify the lifetime purchase. I know that I will be throwing those molds the rest of my career, I've used them long enough now that I know they will be in my bag forever.

With the exception of beat-in discs that aren't replaceable with even the same mold, what you say might be the end of hoarding discs.

Well, you just have to replace those beat in discs with other beat in discs. Anyone who cycles discs knows that they need to have backups. I carry 6 rocs in the bag and you can bet your a$$ that I have multiple replacements beat in, learned and ready to be dropped in the bag on a moments notice.

Also, buying a lifetime supply should include buying new and used discs.

Well, you just have to replace those beat in discs with other beat in discs. Anyone who cycles discs knows that they need to have backups. I carry 6 rocs in the bag and you can bet your a$$ that I have multiple replacements beat in, learned and ready to be dropped in the bag on a moments notice.

Also, buying a lifetime supply should include buying new and used discs.

I absolutely second that.. Got burned on that before. I spend a lot of time in the winter beating in discs. I also buy a few used randos off the FB auctions. When I get an electron envy to the sweet spot I shelve it for competition only (and the weeks before)

I have my original 9 x 167 plasma envy in cycle, 3 are putting only (mostly haha), 2 are beat and the rest are inbetween..... and a few zillion others... just in case.

finding good used discs is always more exciting! and typically more practical.

First thing I do at any shop is look through the used bin. Cheap and beat discs are great. Just sucks if you love a disc that's OOP/older runs because you may throw money down the drain looking for backups.

The worst is buying a stack and finding a better disc later on. Had this happen with Thunderbirds and Vengences until I landed on the OLF. Luckily, all my stacks I sold were close to retail.

First thing I do at any shop is look through the used bin. Cheap and beat discs are great. Just sucks if you love a disc that's OOP/older runs because you may throw money down the drain looking for backups.

i do the same. and sometimes i find great OOP or older run stuff in 6/10-8/10 condition for typical used disc prices. admittedly, those days seem to be coming to an end but there are still newer shops or newer employees that aren't attuned to that stuff yet.

The worst is buying a stack and finding a better disc later on. Had this happen with Thunderbirds and Vengences until I landed on the OLF. Luckily, all my stacks I sold were close to retail.

the OLF is awesome!
if you ever move on, i'll be interested in your stack

Zone would be the main one for me. A premium plastic Zone lasts approximately forever, and I have around 7, a mix of Z, ESP, Ti, etc. I still mainly bag the first one I acquired back on 2015 or so. I don't tend to use the. In situations where I'll lose them, so that helps.

I have more than 30 Zones and only rotate them if I feel like looking at a different one. For me, they don't really cycle.

The worst is buying a stack and finding a better disc later on.

By locking yourself to some molds you expect that your game doesn't change (improve!), that disc golf doesn't change, disc technology and courses don't change, and your ignore changes to your body by ageing. A lifetime supply of some molds is a nearsighted point of view, it ignores the fact that things change during a lifetime.

A rational behavior would be to have a supply for the next years but not more. You just have to read what those write who have played for decades and have gotten older. It's irrational to hoard discs for the intend to throw them in 30 years. ... But of course you can hoard them if you have fun collecting and later trading them when you don't use them as you once imagined.

By locking yourself to some molds you expect that your game doesn't change (improve!), that disc golf doesn't change, disc technology and courses don't change, and your ignore changes to your body by ageing. A lifetime supply of some molds is a nearsighted point of view, it ignores the fact that things change during a lifetime.

A rational behavior would be to have a supply for the next years but not more. You just have to read what those write who have played for decades and have gotten older. It's irrational to hoard discs for the intend to throw them in 30 years. ... But of course you can hoard them if you have fun collecting and later trading them when you don't use them as you once imagined.

Agree but.....haha

I'm at that point, my throws declined, my body hurts... whine whine etc.... I have to admit I had a lifetime supply of 4 esp fr forces, barely got the second one beat before my throw changed. My giant stockpile now though is largely 150 class and lighter mids, it's gold. If my throw goes up or down I can tap the stash try something different for a week or a month. It's already an old farts bag. I've already given up zones, forces and max weight.

I'm pretty settled in my bag and my ways and also luckily I'm a gyrohead so there isn't much in my pile that I don't pull out from time to time. I don't see switching putters or brands anytime, ever. Got a few rogue Kasta's that are nice though..

Last edited:
I have more than 30 Zones and only rotate them if I feel like looking at a different one. For me, they don't really cycle.

'Feel like looking at a different one' is a real value. I might only have a few of a mold, but I'll b like, "I haven't thrown the white one in a while" and it's like a new, old friend.

all of those things have changed since the Comet was released (and since I started throwing them) and I still will hold onto my stack that I have and keep at least one in my bag forever. Maybe one day, I'll even rotate in a fresh 2018 MJ, since I'm still working with the first one I bought.

I also have a decent stack of hurricanes, but definitely can see the need for moving those and getting a slower/easier to throw disc in the future. I've lost like 30' off my distance since 2019, and that's easily a reasonable justification for moving down in speed.

Last edited:
I have about 50 Aviars in different stages from fresh to thrashed, used for putting and throwing. I've tried other putters especially as more and more new manufacturers and molds have come out. While there are many excellent putter molds for both putting and throwing, the familiarity with the Aviar is what wins out for me. I do carry one or two other putters to cover the rest of the throws (if you count a Zone or the like) but likely there will always be room for at least 3 Aviars in my bag.

I have 2 molds that I consider to have a lifetime supply: Aviar PnA and Rocs. The Aviars I have 12 (10 for putting practice, 1 in the bag and 1 in my trunk. Rocs I have slowly dwindled down to 25ish, I'm a sucker for a used Roc at PIAS or my local shop. I have DX, KC, a couple XT Rocs and a 2 USDGC Rocs.

'Feel like looking at a different one' is a real value. I might only have a few of a mold, but I'll b like, "I haven't thrown the white one in a while" and it's like a new, old friend.

Memory and the mental part of the game is both short and long lived. "I don't trust this disc, it did me dirty, but I trust/know this mold so I trust THiS (new/old) other one" is a real thing.