• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

You guys are making me buy Wizards

inthedrift

Eagle Member
So after reading this forum for a little while I decided that I had to try a Wizard (I usually throw KC and DX Aviars) and wouldn't you know it I absolutely love this disc. I got a Soft 170 and an Organic 172 a couple weeks ago and the two are vying to be my primary putter already. I am much more accurate on longer putt attempts with the Wiz than I was with my Aviars, and I love them on approaches and shorter drives. I just got another Soft 172 and figured I'd try an E 175 for driving. I tried the E out yesterday and this disc is not what I wanted/expected. On some throws it got all squirrelly and turned over. On others it acted crazy overstable. It was variably windy but I was tossing my Softs as well and they were flying predictably. What's the deal here? Do E Wizards suck? Should I just get another Soft or even a Medium for driving/approach duties?

This all raises another question. I've got around 10 Aviars that I bought for putting practice. Now that I've jumped on the Wizard bandwagon should I only practice putting with Wizards or can I just add them to my putter stack and practice with all of them? I'm curious as to people's thoughts on this. Personally I don't think I'd be hurting myself or my putting stroke by practicing with more than one putter mold, but perhaps I'm wrong.

1: yes you should definitely pick up a 175 medium for drives, the E does kinda suck, Id also give putting with the mediums a try too, you can get a more consistent release from harder putters and IMO they stay in the basket just as well if not better than softies
2: yes you should only practice with your wizards, if i practice with putter molds other than the one i throw it can really throw off my release (sometimes for up to a week if i putt with them alot)

inthedrift said:
This all raises another question. I've got around 10 Aviars that I bought for putting practice. Now that I've jumped on the Wizard bandwagon should I only practice putting with Wizards or can I just add them to my putter stack and practice with all of them? I'm curious as to people's thoughts on this. Personally I don't think I'd be hurting myself or my putting stroke by practicing with more than one putter mold, but perhaps I'm wrong.

If they are Big Bead, they are probably ok to keep for putting practice inside of 30 feet, since all putters should act essentially the same inside that distance. If you're satisfied with them giving a similar enough feel to the wizards, by all means keep them for this sort of practice.

If they aren't similar enough to the wizard in your grip putting though, you should probably set them aside, since familiarity and feel are the two most important factors with a putter, imo.

inthedrift said:
Do E Wizards suck?

Bingo. At least compared to Suregrip Wizards.

Now that I've jumped on the Wizard bandwagon should I only practice putting with Wizards or can I just add them to my putter stack and practice with all of them?

What type of putter are you? If you spin putt, I don't think it will make a difference. If you pitch (apex) putt, the varying drop rate could screw with your game. The Wizard drops a touch slower and straighter than my KC. I have one KC in the stack just for the heck of it, though. I just have to aim 5 inches higher and 3 inches more right on a 30' putt.

I find e wiz suckitude varies by color. The white run from early last year and the orange e run = poop. The latest E run (kinda flexy, same plastic as the e voodos), and the firm superglows are excellent drivers.

Coldpunk said:
I find e wiz suckitude varies by color. The white run from early last year and the orange e run = poop. The latest E run (kinda flexy, same plastic as the e voodos), and the firm superglows are excellent drivers.
The new E Wizards are nice. I hope they keep making them this way. I've thrown a few of them now and they all seem the same. The older runs of E Wizards were all over the place.

cmlasley said:
As an addendum, if you want good driving Wizards, might I suggest SuperGlow? Stiff and beefy.

The stiff SuperGlows are the absolute best Wizards ever!!! Unfortunately I cannot find any. I use a Medium Wizard for now, and while it gets the job done it's just not the same.

A new disc may just be making you think better...so don't hurry to dump the Aviars.

Otherwise, I embrace the range of S plastic and pick from the stack depending on the weather. The softers firm up nice in winter, proto chalky rules the rain, yadda...

And E sucks.

RS39 said:
A new disc may just be making you think better...so don't hurry to dump the Aviars.

Otherwise, I embrace the range of S plastic and pick from the stack depending on the weather. The softers firm up nice in winter, proto chalky rules the rain, yadda...

And E sucks.

Being honest, I have to agree......

however...

I'll trade my 175 Soft Wizard for one of your 175 KC's whenever you want!

something no one has mentioned:

with wizards it's good to mix up the weights you carry. it's good to have a heavy tee wizard.

however, the wizard has a "hole" in its range when you go max weight since they're so stable. 100-150' is the "trouble length" since if you put a lot of pop on em you overthrow by 50' and if you take a lot off you stable out 50' short.

in these cases i recommend looking in the 168-172g range as they will handle a lower powered throw without falling off.

similarly, max weight wizards have a pretty wicked drop rate on longer putts.

stiffness is usually preference but if you carry all stiff wizards having 1 supersoft that is thrashed in your bag is usually wise.

Blake is right on the money as usual...This is why having a wizard has always forced me to carry a "short" putter. If you ever beat in a lighter one, I would imagine it could work, problem is that they take iceages to beat in.

So I carry a rattler for that spot now.

And concering the E wizard, I have a glow E wizard that is pretty nice. Its more beefy than a regular wizard, so I only use it if its really windy or if need a hyzer that drops faster than a regular wizard. Granted most of the time its not in the bag, but I dont think its a bad disc.

The soft is a nice all around stiffnes, but the medium is a little better on drives. Personally, I like the stiff sss wizards, great grip and not floppy at all. A 168 and 173 is the combo I use, it covers all the shots I need.