• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Zone v. Drone v. Q-Sentinel v. Hornet v. Gator

I currently throw a Z Hornet and love it for those situational hyzer spikes as well as high wind settings. I had a Champion Gator at one point before I decided that it didn't work for me as it felt too much like throwing a brick in my hand. Overall, the consistency I have found with my Hornet is why it made the bag and I traded the Gator away.

I generally have a strong affinity for get out of trouble discs, more than likely because I'm using them more than I ought to be. Generally I don't use utility discs very often, but always love the opportunity to pull them out.

What do you see the diff. between your zone and drone? What situations do you use one over the other, or is it just pretty much which one you feel like?

XTREME!?! I dig the Zone largely because of the shape. My sloppy forehand likes them. Max weight Drone feels so beefy and heavy in comparison, while the Sentinel is the opposite. All the Gators I've thrown have seemed decent. I've thought about adding one to the bag too but there's far too much complaining about "bad Gators" and mold changes to bother. I've yet to see a dud Zone (unlike my Drone). There are some Pro Ds with a little dome but they fly nice and eventually flatten and then turn into puddle tops after they break in.

I have 2 Champion Gators and a Pro-D Drone.
Had a Z Hornet for a short time, but traded it.

I would say by far the Champion Gators are the meatiest. The stiffness and slickness of Champion makes them great predictable skip hyzer or tight flex shot discs. Very consistent and reliable in their meathook quality. Unless you have massive headwind keeping them afloat, they have zero glide.

The D-Drone is less stable, gets some glide on it and can shape more lines. Can even do straight with a low-line healthy snap. Mine has seen a good 20 rounds, so it's kinda worn into sweetness.

The Hornet is a bit longer disc, sorta like the Wasp if I remember correctly. Probably a good "windy day Buzzz" but otherwise not as stable as Drone or Gator. I have heard that some runs of Hornet were super meathooky, but not my experience. Nice disc I just traded it off b/c I preferred my Buzzz, Drone, Gator combo.

I throw putters more than anything so I naturally gravitated more towards the Zone than the Drone. I never really had a situation where I wanted the Drone over the Zone. The Zone skips better and felt more overstable than the Drone near maximum power. Also, when I actually needed that more distance than the Zone offered it was always a better shot to choose an overstable Fairway like the Banshee, just because the Drone would fly surprisingly straight when thrown around the 280-320 mark.

I don't have an OS mid and have yet to find a situation where I wished I had one.

As I think someone else said, the Gator isn't nearly as stable as those others. The Viper would be Innova's parallel to the Drone.

I think there's 2 types of Gators out there.... beaded and non-beaded?
Mine are beaded (champ) and they are extremely overstable.

Bagged a zone and a hornet, the zone is a mid to me as I can crank it and it will never never flip. My hornet is just like a shorter teebird type disc. Dead straight with a nice face at the end. The drone is too much of a specialty disc and would just be taking up extra space in my bag and I'm not a huge fan of small diameter mids so the gator missed out. All great discs though but only the zone and hornet are here to stay.

Bagged a zone and a hornet, the zone is a mid to me as I can crank it and it will never never flip. My hornet is just like a shorter teebird type disc. Dead straight with a nice face at the end. The drone is too much of a specialty disc and would just be taking up extra space in my bag and I'm not a huge fan of small diameter mids so the gator missed out. All great discs though but only the zone and hornet are here to stay.

-10 points for likening the Teebird to a Hornet....

Only thrown the drone, so this may not be worth much.

But it works so well with my comet and my buzzz, it made my bag right away and I have nto had any desire to try others ^^ Just the feel of a massive 180 drone tells you that it will never flip and fade where you dont want it. I dont use it often, but when i do, i am 100% sure of what it is gonna do.

After saying that,a friend gave me a zone to try today. It feels more like a putter to me. Nice disc, may make its way into my bag one day, but not comparable to the drone because they are two different discs.

...but not comparable to the drone because they are two different discs.

Comparison: an examination of two or more items to establish similarities and dissimilarities

Just trollin' my own thread, sorry.

I do wonder, though, why people feel like the Zone feels like a putter. Just because it's a smaller diameter doesn't mean it feels like a putter. Just look at the Cro or Spider. But I know it's all semantics and when you get on the border you're going to find a lot of overlap. I just can't imagine putting with a Zone whatsoever.

I love the zone, I have small hands and don't like the feel of stable putters like a wizzard or BB aviar. I use a broken in pro d zone for hyers over 100 feet as my magics don't always come back on hyser over that, sometimes and 150 they hold the angle and just go straight. I love the new z zone and use it for shorter spike hysers. I have used gators and just prefer the feel of the zone over them.

i really like the ESP zone i have better then the other discs mentioned because of the small diameter. the drone has a big wing for a mid and just didnt feel right to me. the zone is also nice to putt with in the wind due to it being small and real stable. all the discs mentioned are solid, and some people will like others over others. the zone does it for me though.