• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] 150 class RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't imagine playing windy courses with such low weights... I throw some low-weight drivers... But certainly not putters or mids... I don't see a benefit, just loss of consistency.

I couldn't imagine playing windy courses with such low weights... I throw some low-weight drivers... But certainly not putters or mids... I don't see a benefit, just loss of consistency.

Is this from personal experience, or just assumptions passed on from the internet forums?

When I switched to a 150 class bag a few years ago, all my buddies said the same thing, "what are you going to do in the wind"? Nobody says that to me anymore and I have also converted a few to lower weights too.

Probably depends on the types of courses you play and where. If you're playing open courses in Kansas, then maybe you have a point.

I'm in Nebraska, and when the wind is under 20mph (I call that "still"), 150 class stuff throws really well. a couple months back a guy handed me his 152g Destroyer (I absolutely HATE Destroyers and can't throw them to save my life). I threw it about as hard as I could to still stay smooth and it honestly went about as far as I've ever thrown a disc. I usually stay away from high speed stuff but it made me really rethink trying them in those weights. but damn, I have to much plastic the way it is....

I threw all 150 class for about 8ish years and never noticed a loss in consistency.
Sure, the wind bullied them around. But to be fair, I'm terrible with wind and my max weight stuff gets punished too.

The putters and mids are my favorite 150 class discs. The smooth, controlled distance potential is fantastic! This is especially useful for restricted lies when you have super tricky footing or limited arm mobility. Just a tiny pop on a 150g putter and that little bugger just sails down the fairway.

After my long 150 class experiment, the only 150 class discs that are in my bag are putters. My Polecats are always 150 and I'll usually have a 150g version of my main putter too. Aviar PandA is a common one for me to carry. I'm recommending that you give it a fair chance; you might be surprised!

Is this from personal experience, or just assumptions passed on from the internet forums?

When I switched to a 150 class bag a few years ago, all my buddies said the same thing, "what are you going to do in the wind"? Nobody says that to me anymore and I have also converted a few to lower weights too.

Probably depends on the types of courses you play and where. If you're playing open courses in Kansas, then maybe you have a point.

Yes I do have some weight putters... I never throw them. Too glidey and get thrown around too much. I like to feel the weight of my putter in my hand as I feel I have more control over it. But whatever works for you.

Obviously we're not talking hurricane-force winds here, but overstable discs from drivers to putters should fight the wind pretty effectively. If it gets really windy on my home course, I'll putt and approach with the Zone. The Star Gator is also a good putter into headwinds.

Obviously we're not talking hurricane-force winds here, but overstable discs from drivers to putters should fight the wind pretty effectively. If it gets really windy on my home course, I'll putt and approach with the Zone. The Star Gator is also a good putter into headwinds.

I do the same with a Star Shark and Pro Shark, though my Pro is beat in a tad. The Shark mold flies more putter like in the glide if you know how to back off power on the disc more for approach it works really well but using as a putter works decent as well. Yeah most molds get more OS the more you back off the disc so it works for the Shark making a higher OS disc for putting then the number show even more when one can find a premium plastic that lasts a while for the mold.

Same for most open courses on the Plains of USA and Canada. It is windy on them, speaking from experience.I have to use a bag of mostly max that I can use for a disc due to wind and even keep a OS for me 170 gram Champion Destoyer for days the wind warning goes out in my area.

See my post above. I have to use the max weight 170-172 grams that I can comfortably use for drivers, then 175 grams for larger 180 gram max diameter mids or same as driver weight if a small diameter mid, then max weight for putting putters even if disc would be a very large diameter like a 190 or 200 gram diameter disc, if you can find the disc mold in that weight. I live in one of the windiest cities in South Dakota.

My personal experience is to keep my mids and putters at max weight or close to it. I never plan on going 150 for those molds in my bag. Drivers and fairways I use 150 class but still have some heavier ones also in the bag.

I put a ~127g Beach Flyer in my bag a couple months ago just for some blast from the past nostalgia. Wrist snap approaches were so easy but oh the humor when I tried to drive with it.

I rarely carry a large bag now and I simply do not have room in my Crunchbox for super class discs (they fit but they take up too much room).

Wish I could find some 150g Champion Leopards.....pretty hard to find now, they only seem to make them in Star plastic.

Wish I could find some 150g Champion Leopards.....pretty hard to find now, they only seem to make them in Star plastic.
You would have to go with the 50/50 garbage Blizzard Champion as you never know and it seems light Champion has been gone for a while. Star Lite is what they call the lightweight Star under 160 grams I would think and under 138 grams the plastic floats. I thought Star Lite is OOP? They still make or can still find R-Pro light plastic just called R-Pro for a few of the discs that were Drivers/fairway made in such a plastic and a few of the 150 and under discs float in water outside of the Whaoo and Hydra. Also the DX Dragon an around 150 gram disc is an R-DX in that it is as durable as DX but since the last few years in 2018, the plastic has been like the more grip runs of R-Pro. The Dragon mold flies like an easier to flip Valkyrie due in part to weight and distance is about the same as a DX Dragon is light.

It looks like Discraft is going to produce Z Lite discs again. The 2020 flight chart shows the original molds that were run in Z Lite plus the Nuke OS and Crank SS being available.

A 130 something Nuke OS might be an interesting disc to try.

Bump. . .

Anyone still fooling around with lighter stuff and have any new info to pass along?

Nothing new really, got a 155 Relay out of the box it's like the sweet spot my 165 was at.. Real straight with a hint of fade.. I didn't know it would still be a straight pusher, I think I expected flippy.ish.

My 150 GStar Shrykes are 50' to 100' longer than anything I've thrown. Rarely windy here in the summer, so they're getting a workout. I resisted the lighter weights for way too long!