• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 PDGA World Championships

Live coverage of both the FPO and MPO lead cards? That is tremendous.

Curious to see how having two commenters in the booth and one on the course will work. I remember it was attempted years ago on Disc Golf Planet (USDGC maybe?) but technology wasn't quite there...lots of awkward silences and "can you hear me?" due to signal delays. Smashboxx seems to have better communication and certainly better technology to make it work more smoothly. Can't wait.

Live coverage of both the FPO and MPO lead cards? That is tremendous.

Curious to see how having two commenters in the booth and one on the course will work. I remember it was attempted years ago on Disc Golf Planet (USDGC maybe?) but technology wasn't quite there...lots of awkward silences and "can you hear me?" due to signal delays. Smashboxx seems to have better communication and certainly better technology to make it work more smoothly. Can't wait.

Well, we know our limitations. Steve Hill will be a sideline reporter. We will throw to him a few times a round for some insights on the course. But due to how we buffer the cameras and the booth, there will be no interaction between the two. We will time it so that when we throw to Steve, it should be seamless, but there is not a good way to have them "banter" back and forth.

We ARE going to be live for 3 days for about 8 hours a day. That wasn't the original plan, but it is what is going to work out due to the great problem of having a large FPO field size. We are excited to be able to provide the FPO division the focus they deserve. Just be ready to get up nice and early to catch it all!

Well, we know our limitations. Steve Hill will be a sideline reporter. We will throw to him a few times a round for some insights on the course. But due to how we buffer the cameras and the booth, there will be no interaction between the two. We will time it so that when we throw to Steve, it should be seamless, but there is not a good way to have them "banter" back and forth.

I figured that's how you'd have to do it. My memory of DGP doing it was that the "talent" on mic didn't seem to be aware that there was a delay due to buffering and signal transfer. So they'd throw to the field reporter, awkwardly wait 10-15 seconds for him/her to respond and start reporting, then when they'd throw back to the booth, it would be another awkward silence. That wasn't that big of a deal, IMO.

The real issue was the booth folks rarely knew what was going on at all. No real communication with the field at all. They rarely ever knew what the scores were for the players they were watching/commenting. So when they did throw to the field reporter, they both didn't know what they'd say nor did they have a means of asking questions like "who's winning". Even without direct banter with Steve, I expect you guys will be much smoother on the transitions and on getting good info out of the reports just because Terry and partner won't be operating in the dark. Between udisc and better communication behind the scenes, your booth setup is light years beyond what DGP ever did.

I am excited to announce that we are also giving away over $500 worth of prizes EACH DAY to viewers. Much like the DGPT for every dollar in superchat you get a chance at one of our prizes from: Keen, Disc Golf Center, Infinite Discs, Black Ink, DUDE, & Dynamic Discs.

Anyone know which courses will be used for Sat/Sun? I'm planning on going over Sat morning, and staying over somewhere for Sunday. Having played both from shorter layouts, the better course is Brewster, Fox could go extinct, with all the other rope courses for all I care.

Hating on Fox Run Meadows is a really big mistake, imo. I'm normally not a fan of open, rope courses but this one is done extremely well. And there are drop dead gorgeous views just everywhere you can possibly look.

Hating on Fox Run Meadows is a really big mistake, imo. I'm normally not a fan of open, rope courses but this one is done extremely well. And there are drop dead gorgeous views just everywhere you can possibly look.

Yeah I see the hate for fox run pop up every now and then. Aesthetically it's very nice and outside of one or two holes it looks very challenging. It's certainly not the same borefest as the courses at the Memorial or *shudders* the country club at Emporia.

I think it will work out very nicely for spectators as an ending hole.

How could an event like Worlds not fill?

Many might disagree but IMO, a 750 rated guy playing this event is embarrassing.

I expect it's quite expensive to stay up in that area for the better part of a week.

Letting some 750 rated guy play in a tournament claiming to be a "world" championship is indeed an embarrassment to the sport. Are they that desperate for another entry fee?

Someone has a dream/desire to play in the Worlds and the only chance they get is if it doesn't fill up so they can sign on to play.
I see nothing wrong with it and it is not an embarrassment to a sport most people don't pay attention to anyway.

I hope he has a round of his life time.

Someone has a dream/desire to play in the Worlds and the only chance they get is if it doesn't fill up so they can sign on to play.
I see nothing wrong with it and it is not an embarrassment to a sport most people don't pay attention to anyway.

I hope he has a round of his life time.

In that case, I would recommend less dreaming and more practicing.

Latest posts