• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 PDGA World Championships

Looking at the registered players, I'm far more disappointed that so many of the great young arms from Finland aren't registered than I am that a 750 rated player snuck in. I think there are only 4 +1000 rated Europeans registered.

Why don't their sponsors cough up a little cash to help these guys play on the biggest stage?

Looking at the registered players, I'm far more disappointed that so many of the great young arms from Finland aren't registered than I am that a 750 rated player snuck in. I think there are only 4 +1000 rated Europeans registered.

Why don't their sponsors cough up a little cash to help these guys play on the biggest stage?

Yes its strange and sad that FPO players like Eveliina, Henna and Ragna is not playing. . they are all top 10 in 2018 World rankings.

So after Val desided not to play only 6 of the 10 highest Word ranking FPO players will play in Worlds

Looks like Conrad dominated the putting and skill shot competitions. Everyone was grouped pretty close in scores and then he was miles ahead of everyone. His confidence must be sky high right now, hes gonna be hard to beat this week.

Looks like Conrad dominated the putting and skill shot competitions. Everyone was grouped pretty close in scores and then he was miles ahead of everyone. His confidence must be sky high right now, hes gonna be hard to beat this week.
Note how few of our highest rated players and previous World Champs rarely/never participate in the Field Events.

I'm disappointed that Nate Doss and Val Jenkins are no longer registered for worlds... They just announced a new taproom for their brewing company and on an Instagram post, they noted that they have no intentions to slow down with disc golf but......

I have been playing around with a new rating-system and while its not entirely finished here are its pre-worlds ratings:

Code:
PDGANo Name            Rating Momentum
37817 Eagle Mcmahon    1048.2 0.3
27523 Paul Mcbeth      1047   0.2
38008 Richard Wysocki  1044.7 -0.29
62467 Chris Dickerson  1039.9 0.32
11794 Nathan Doss      1033.5 -0.15
41760 Kevin Jones      1033.4 0.36
17295 James Conrad     1033   0.31
47407 Cam Colglazier   1032.6 0.78
6840  Barry Schultz    1032.5 -0.41
18824 Nathan Sexton    1031.6 0.28
45971 Calvin Heimburg  1031.4 0.93
8332  Simon Lizotte    1031.2 0.18
36744 Seppo Paju       1029.9 0.4
15857 Greg Barsby      1029.2 0.96
18330 Matthew Orum     1028.5 0.39
17946 Josh Anthon      1026.7 -0.94
38631 Zach Melton      1026.7 1.22
11534 Nikko Locastro   1026.4 0.81
24341 Cale Leiviska    1026   0.32
20300 Michael Johansen 1025.6 -0.31

The momentum term is an indication of the direction the rating is heading at the moment.

I'm disappointed that Nate Doss and Val Jenkins are no longer registered for worlds... They just announced a new taproom for their brewing company and on an Instagram post, they noted that they have no intentions to slow down with disc golf but......

Didn't they announce a couple months ago that they were pretty much done for the 2018 season so they could focus on opening their brewery? Also, didn't Nate get injured earlier this year and have to withdraw in the middle of a tournament? He's played very well on this course, so I am surprised he's not trying to win one more while it's still realistic.

Didn't they announce a couple months ago that they were pretty much done for the 2018 season so they could focus on opening their brewery? Also, didn't Nate get injured earlier this year and have to withdraw in the middle of a tournament? He's played very well on this course, so I am surprised he's not trying to win one more while it's still realistic.

He was injured at the the Memorial and had to drop that tournament but played 3 NT's after that, so I doubt it has to do with being injured. I don't recall him stating he was done with the 2018 season. He won the GMC last year so I thought he'd certainly be there for worlds.

Last edited:
Superstition? He only wins Worlds in odd number years. ;)

I just feel that in tournaments you hear them reach +550 holes inside the circle with ease, but they can´t do it in a field in a distance comp?!

But distance on the course and in the field seems strange sometimes. . . i have holes on my local course that are marked 300feet that i can reach with a mid or even a putter
NO way i can throw a mid 300feet in a field with distance markers

They cheat. In tournament play they foot fault to get added distance. Everyone thinks Ricky is faulting on accident, but really, he's adding distance, the tricky blighter.

I am 100% sure more Finns will appear at USDGC, yet again.

They warned us about this. It doesn't make it any easier to see them transition though.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see Audible's post. Either way, Worlds without those two will be strange. (To echo what Johnny V said a couple o weeks ago.)

Last edited:
No "feature card" att Worlds? Nikko Locastro, Justin Anderson, Adam Hammes and Cole Wehrheim is the last card to go out, not the typical feature card.

Will they film that card?

No "feature card" att Worlds? Nikko Locastro, Justin Anderson, Adam Hammes and Cole Wehrheim is the last card to go out, not the typical feature card.

Will they film that card?

The PDGA just instituted the new rule against creating "super cards" for the purposes of featuring for non-live media coverage. Would be silly for them to give themselves a waiver in the first year of the rule's existence.

Looks like the 10:00 (Conrad, Sexton, Nybo, Turner) and 1:30 (Lizotte, Leiviska, Wysocki, Jones) cards on Fox Run are pretty solid with four 1000+ players. I'd bet on Jomez and CCDG covering them.

Edit to add...just saw on the Facebooks that Jomez has the 1:30 card (and FPO 8:10...Pierce, Panis, Andyke, Cannon), CCDG has the 10:00 card.

Last edited:
Whatever happened to Ohn Scoggins? Her PDGA membership has been expired since last year.

There are so many factors in play that you really can't judge anything off of one long drive competition. Especially one at elevation like this one.

wait, 1000 feet is considered at elevation?? i play a tremendous amount of disc golf in VT and have never noticed my discs to fly noticeably different at all when i play at smugg's

wait, 1000 feet is considered at elevation?? i play a tremendous amount of disc golf in VT and have never noticed my discs to fly noticeably different at all when i play at smugg's

1000 feet above sea level is elevation relative to 20 feet above sea level, no? I'm not saying it's a significant elevation, just different than it would be at, say, the Augusta GA area (136 feet) where Worlds was last year. It *could* play a role in how the discs fly in a long drive contest, though I suspect the wind was probably a greater factor.