• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 PDGA World Championships

How could an event like Worlds not fill?

Many might disagree but IMO, a 750 rated guy playing this event is embarrassing.

I was talking to a touring pro recently and threw out the idea of only allowing players rated 935 or higher to compete in MPO. It allows MA1 rated amateurs to play up a division and challenge themselves without it being detrimental to the other MPO players on the card. I am not in favor of intermediate, recreational and novice rated players playing up 2, 3 and 4 divisions. He liked the idea.

I was just thinking that he might not be as bad as that rating indicates. He may only have a couple of sucky sanctioned rounds under his belt, but has improved greatly since then. Either way, it's weird for the biggest tournament in our game.

Edit: I agree Glide, but others, like Jay Dub, likely would not. Part of what makes our game weird is that a Rec can play Open with the big boys. All I have to do is pay more and I can potentially be on a card with a touring pro. That's pretty sweet. BUT, I don't like it for Worlds. Keep it for the B and C tiers.

Last edited:
I was just thinking that he might not be as bad as that rating indicates. He may only have a couple of sucky sanctioned rounds under his belt, but has improved greatly since then. Either way, it's weird for the biggest tournament in our game.

No, he's as bad as the rating indicates. Looking at his results, he has never beaten another player in a sanctioned round. His wins are from solo MPO appearances. Anytime he's had even one other competitor, they beat him.

But honestly, I don't see the big deal. Pro Worlds has rarely ever filled, so the notion of a low rated player participating isn't new. The few times it did fill were only in the last few years when it was still combined with the Masters (which was part of why they separated them). If it were a matter of this 750 rated guy playing instead of a 1020 rated player, I could see the argument against allowing him. But they had tiered registration in which everyone invited with a rating over 970 had anywhere from 2-6 weeks to sign up. If there's a 1000 rated player sitting home frustrated that Mr 750 is in, it's his own fault.

And it's not like Mr 750 is going to be gumming things up. He'll be in a separate pool from the contenders and won't get anywhere near a filmed card except as a spectator. He's a donator, no different than any of the other 60-some odd players in the field who are rated under 970.

No, he's as bad as the rating indicates. Looking at his results, he has never beaten another player in a sanctioned round. His wins are from solo MPO appearances. Anytime he's had even one other competitor, they beat him.

But honestly, I don't see the big deal. Pro Worlds has rarely ever filled, so the notion of a low rated player participating isn't new. The few times it did fill were only in the last few years when it was still combined with the Masters (which was part of why they separated them). If it were a matter of this 750 rated guy playing instead of a 1020 rated player, I could see the argument against allowing him. But they had tiered registration in which everyone invited with a rating over 970 had anywhere from 2-6 weeks to sign up. If there's a 1000 rated player sitting home frustrated that Mr 750 is in, it's his own fault.

And it's not like Mr 750 is going to be gumming things up. He'll be in a separate pool from the contenders and won't get anywhere near a filmed card except as a spectator. He's a donator, no different than any of the other 60-some odd players in the field who are rated under 970.

Maybe he's the world's most proficient bagger?

Yeah, the hell with his full time job and family duties. He needs to get out and practice like a pro, full time. :rolleyes:

I wonder how many top level pros have families and or jobs and do a good job at both, despite being good at disc golf?

Edit: I agree Glide, but others, like Jay Dub, likely would not. Part of what makes our game weird is that a Rec can play Open with the big boys. All I have to do is pay more and I can potentially be on a card with a touring pro. That's pretty sweet. BUT, I don't like it for Worlds. Keep it for the B and C tiers.

I'm not opposed to lower rated players competing in open at C and B tiers either.

I wonder how many top level pros have families and or jobs and do a good job at both, despite being good at disc golf?

In MPO, I can only think of one such player who has a family, a regular non-disc-golf job, and a Major title in the last 5-10 years...Steve Brinster. Any one else with a major or NT/DGPT level title to his name in recent years has been one who is more or less a full time disc golfer, with or without a family at home.

It may not have been the case 10-15 years ago, but we are definitely fully into the stage of disc golf's growth where to be a top-tier contender at the elite events, you have to be a full time player.

Just checked out the Nantucket results and Paige P killed it. Averaged over her rating. Hokum not so much. I know that event is more of a vacation than a serious tourney for these folks, but that has to have Pierce feeling good before Worlds given her recent performances.

Just checked out the Nantucket results and Paige P killed it. Averaged over her rating. Hokum not so much. I know that event is more of a vacation than a serious tourney for these folks, but that has to have Pierce feeling good before Worlds given her recent performances.

The course on Nantucket is soooooo different from anything the competitors will play at Smugglers Notch, it's almost irrelevant...except for the aforementioned confidence boost.

Brewster Ridge is a like miniature version of Maple Hill, which favors Hokom. But PP will crush at Fox Run Meadows. It's anybody's game really.

Brewster Ridge is a like miniature version of Maple Hill, which favors Hokom. But PP will crush at Fox Run Meadows. It's anybody's game really.

I understand that she struggled this year at Maple Hill, but the notion that courses like it are some sort of Paige Pierce kryptonite is bunk. She entered this year's MVP Open as the FOUR TIME defending FPO champ. She also won the last time she was at Smuggs and took second the year before that (Cat crushed everyone that year). She can play in the woods. Hokom can too, of course. Gaining a little confidence in the final event before Worlds could absolutely have a positive impact, regardless of the type of course.

How could an event like Worlds not fill?

Many might disagree but IMO, a 750 rated guy playing this event is embarrassing.

I expect it's quite expensive to stay up in that area for the better part of a week.

Letting some 750 rated guy play in a tournament claiming to be a "world" championship is indeed an embarrassment to the sport. Are they that desperate for another entry fee?

Why do you care? His life, his money.....your judgement?

So only 3 people in MPO broke 500 feet an paige did not break 400feet in the Long Drive Contest . . .

when you watching discgolf videos and turnaments i get the impression of that most of the MPO field throw +550feet and Paige easily throws drives +450. . . Internet distance ? ;)

So only 3 people in MPO broke 500 feet an paige did not break 400feet in the Long Drive Contest . . .

when you watching discgolf videos and turnaments i get the impression of that most of the MPO field throw +550feet and Paige easily throws drives +450. . . Internet distance ? ;)

Elevation? They're 1000 feet above sea level in town where they did the contest. Discs get more overstable at elevation, which can affect how far they fly. Also, it's a long drive contest, not a pure distance contest. They have to land within a specific area for the throw to count and they don't get the benefit of choosing which direction in which they want to throw. The wind could have been a factor as well.

These are guys who hit 600+ at other distance competitions like USDGC. I don't think it's an illusion.

Elevation? They're 1000 feet above sea level in town where they did the contest. Discs get more overstable at elevation, which can affect how far they fly. Also, it's a long drive contest, not a pure distance contest. They have to land within a specific area for the throw to count and they don't get the benefit of choosing which direction in which they want to throw. The wind could have been a factor as well.

These are guys who hit 600+ at other distance competitions like USDGC. I don't think it's an illusion.

I just feel that in tournaments you hear them reach +550 holes inside the circle with ease, but they can´t do it in a field in a distance comp?!

But distance on the course and in the field seems strange sometimes. . . i have holes on my local course that are marked 300feet that i can reach with a mid or even a putter
NO way i can throw a mid 300feet in a field with distance markers

I just feel that in tournaments you hear them reach +550 holes inside the circle with ease, but they can´t do it in a field in a distance comp?!

But distance on the course and in the field seems strange sometimes. . . i have holes on my local course that are marked 300feet that i can reach with a mid or even a putter
NO way i can throw a mid 300feet in a field with distance markers

There are so many factors in play that you really can't judge anything off of one long drive competition. Especially one at elevation like this one. On the course, there are trees and elevation changes and wind direction that can all aid (or hamper) one's ability to get big distance on a given hole. And that's not even considering that the measurement of the hole may not be entirely accurate.

The measurement of a hole could vary significantly depending on how it's measured...straight line point to point, along the intended flight path, measured with a wheel vs a tape vs a rangefinder vs GPS. A hole might say it's 300 feet, but it could actually be anywhere from 270 or 330 depending on how the hole is measured. And it's rare that you can walk up to a hole, read the tee sign, and know exactly how the listed distance was determined.

I saw a video on instagram from the long drive comp... looked like a pretty nasty headwind to me.

Latest posts